G2 Nitrolon?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats the deal with the SF G2 Nitrolon, why is it only ~$30? Is it junky or just out-dated technology? If its the later, how badly outdated (runtime vs output?)?

lebox97

Enlightened
cuz the body is made out of plastic material (nitrolon)

many think - as well as I that these bodies can be more durable/forgiving than the metal bodies - and lighter too.

the rest of the light is the same ....
runtime, output, technology, all depends on what light source you want to put in it and driven by what kind of power source.

go to the review sections and others and you'll find all kinds of info

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The g2 is actually a very good light it is the same as the 6p just with a polymer body witch makes it very tough ideal for a car light or in a bug out bag

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, thanks guys. Might have to pick one up next time I stop by Bass Pro Shops.

As a secondary question, would there be any reason a RCR123A wouldn't work in place of the CR123A?

Max Brightness

Enlightened
The stock bulb is rated 6V. RCR123 rated at 3.7-4.2V. Therefore 2 RCR123 will be 7.4V or higher and will blow the stock bulb.

Other alternatives...

1) the 3.0V RCR123 can also work and I've never had troubles with them except the runtime is less than half the stock configuration.

2) try a lumens factory bulb rated at 3.7V and use a rechargeable 17670 battery. Myself, I prefer this configuration.

DM51

Flashaholic
The yellow ones are great emergency lights - the color makes them difficult to lose. I just wish they would make them in flame-orange too.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 is the light Surefire uses to draw people in and get them hooked on their more expensive lights. Quite a few people that have decent sized Surefire collections got started with the G2. I have three or four, a couple are in cars, and one is the backup tool light in my shop. Nothing outdated or cheap (except the price) about it.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a decent light, but nothing special: A 6V incan powered by 2xCR123A. If you want, check out the very similar Brinkmann Maxfire LX at Target for about half the price.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
I like my G2 and actually bought it at Bass Pro here in Springfield. Unless they lowered the price I think it's 36 bucks. The Nitrolon body feels good in your hand and in cold weather doesn't feel nearly as cold as aluminum! :)