What a day+Saaby's new toy (Pocket PC)

Saaby

Flashaholic
What a day+Saaby\'s new toy (Pocket PC)

I got a new toy last week from School:
axim_segmenter.jpg

It's not really mine yet but if I stay in the School of Technology for 3 years (And I plan to) then I get to keep it.

Anyway I came home from school early today because I'm getting the flu I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif so I was putting some stuff on my Axim and one of the programs locked it up good so I had to do a hard boot (Equivalent of reformatting the HD) and now I'm doing a full backup, fortunately I made one 2 days ago. Still...what a day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

So who else around here has a PPC? What progs do I absolutely need for it?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What a day+Saaby\'s new toy (Pocket PC)

Ryan-

Take some Echinacea; I always take some as soon as I feel like I'm coming down with a cold or flu. It really helps fight it off. A little Vitamin C wouldn't hurt either.

I don't have a PPC; I started to buy one last November, but couldn't figure out what I'd use it for. I'd get one with wireless web if we had a provider around here, but no such luck.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used to have a Jornada 548 and it locked up occasionally(got palm now with no problems). My favorite add on software was AvantGo. You can download and view lots of web pages with it.

I'll see if I can find what else I had on it. I know I had some games (Doom was my favorite) and other entertainment stuff. I'll post back if I find them.

Saaby

Flashaholic

Silv--I usually drink 3 or 4 cups/day of Ecinacha when I'm sick.

So the restore gets done and then I just about fling it across the room taking the sync cable off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Empath

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
Anyway I came home from school early today because I'm getting the flu I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a heavy infestation of a Norwalk type virus making the rounds. It's bad stuff, and very contagious. For the protection of everyone around you practice a heightened degree of sanitation. Drink plenty of liquids. Dehydration is the largest risk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

The one bit of advice I would give you regarding the applications you cannot live without on your PPC is not to make the same mistake I did. I bought the thing to get organized and save time and I then promptly spent countless hours reading about and trying all kinds of various apps, only to come the the conclusion that almost everything I really needed was in there when I opened the box. It will now take decades of efficient use to save back the time I wasted doing that.

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
For the protection of everyone around you practice a heightened degree of sanitation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah... maybe even stop posting here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rrtanton

Newly Enlightened

Oh no...I could get...a COMPUTER VIRUS!!!

(yes, yes, I know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif sorry...it was just...so obvious...)

rusty

Saaby

Flashaholic

Darell can't...he uses protection.
I protect my PPC too both with some anti-virus and a screen protector :winkie:

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

Toshiba e740. Good machine but with some odd quirks. Battery Pack 2003 is a great program that is somewhat tantamount to having a quick launch bar on the Today page.

The place I've found to most helpful for forums, software, hardware and so forth is pocketpccity.com. They have forums for each different manufacturer, including Dell. I also like the Typango typing screen when I don't have a foldable keyboard with me.

A forum dedicated to each manufacter? Hmmm... Maybe we could have one here just for SureFire. What a great idea! I'm sure that we'll have one set up in no time...

ygbsm

Enlightened

I can't live without my IPAQ. I've had 3 of them, 2 3650s and now a 3975. The displays, especially on the 3975 are fantastic.

I use a program called GIGABAR and can't stand to be without it. It's free! It puts windows like buttons on a taskbar for each open program. Tapping on the button allows you to switch to the application. Also, you can close any application from the button. The regular vanilla PPC2002 does not show you what apps are open except by referencing the memory settings page.

www.pocketpcpassion.com is a nice page by a pocket PC nut.

I have to admit, I'm sort of a nut about these type devices. Before that I had 2 Palms and 3 Newtons.

Saaby

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
I use a program called GIGABAR and can't stand to be without it.

[/ QUOTE ]

First program I downloaded. Then made my friend download it and I showed him how to config it. I had 3 cousins and an uncle who all had a Newton at one time, and in my slightly younger years I would have killed for an eMate.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

take 2000 mg of c every 2 hours .
i do this when i feel the first sign of a cold or flu coming on.
i have never had it fail to reduce the severity and duration.
drink plenty too
oj is good.
btw my ppc runs nt 4.0 sp6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sabby if you take 2 grams of Vit C every 2 hours you will have the worst diarrhea you have ever seen. I see no benefit in doses above 2 grams a DAY... i like Gigabar too!!!

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
btw my ppc runs nt 4.0 sp6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laptop.jpg

So does mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

Here is the absolute, undiluted, take it to the bank FACTS about colds and flus:

If you treat them... with anything, they will last a week!

BUT!!!... if you don't treat them, they will last for 7 days! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

Wow. That's deep.

Sort of reminds me of the scene from the movie "Roger and Me" where the goofy dude is at the Red Cross to donate blood. He said that they were only open, "Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday." Said real slow with a lot of thought before pronouncing each day.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Xray- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif COOL PIC.!

I swear by the echinacea- I've been doing it for five years; For the previous 46 years I got lots of horrible colds that lasted weeks or even months. Since I started taking "Ech" at the first sniffle or a hint of a sore throat, I've only had one moderately bad cold and a few days of sniffles.

Bushman is right about the Vitamin C- I used to use massive doses of it; then spend the next few days "on the throne". When I feel something coming,I do a tab of the herbal "Ech" and 1000 mg of C when I get up, and the same when I go to bed.

GeoffChan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
[ QUOTE ]

I had 3 cousins and an uncle who all had a Newton at one time, and in my slightly younger years I would have killed for an eMate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I love the newton, favorite handheld, even have one running as a webserver /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Nothing still can come close to it.

Geoff