Need help. can you explain this problem?

f22warzone

Newly Enlightened
ok this is my set up
WF-800 3W Cree Q2 LED Flashlight (2x18650 4xCR123A 7.4V~17V) Ultrafire 3.7V 2400mAh LC 18650 Protected Battery 2-Pack

now just last night when I was formatting my computer I decided I would do a run time test. And about 3 hours later the flashlight was still on I picked it up and it turned off. Strange hu. Well I shook it an ill bit and it turned back on then off again. So I thought it was just the batteries were dead so I put them in the charger. And put in my 2nd set of batteries but it was still doing the same thing then I loosed up the tail cap an ill bit and it worked just fine but as soon as I screwed the tail cap back in it would turn off. well I kept playing with it and then it got to the point where it wouldn't light up any more so I took apart the top and looked at the star emitter and every thing looked fine I test the batteries and some how the tail cap had shorted them out, their reading 1.3 volts apace :| so I put them in the charger but their so low on power the charger doesn't notice that their lithium's and thinks I am some idiot putting in nimh batteries in it but their just really low lithium's. Well any ways at the end I just took the ill plastic thing out with the brass looking pin so I just have a spring in the back now and its working fine with my second set of batteries not shoring out or nothing doing just fine. so I have 2 questions 1st how did the clicky short out the batteries when it just connects the batteries to the case witch makes the light up and if their was something wrong with the light why is it not doing it now. And the flash light never did get hot maybe 90-105'f and the batteries were cool to the touch also. And my 2nd question is their any way I can revive my batteries or at least get them up to about 2volts so the batteries charger recognizes them? Or is it a problem that maybe the PCB is tripped and that it's not letting them charge just drain? And if so is their any way I can fix this or should I get a refund for them

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
um...:ironic: until we can get to any conclusions we first have to understand what your talking about, a little proofreading before pressing the submit button goes a long way. and to better help you on your issue I've taken up the duty to revise your monster one sentenced paragraph into smaller, more legitable sections

now just last night when I was formatting my computer I decided I would make a run time test and about 3 hours later the flashlight was still on. I picked it up and it turned off. Strange huh. Well I shook it a little bit and it turned back on then off again.

It sounds like a contact issue, not the batteries fault

so i thought it was just the batteries were dead so I put them in the charger. and put in my 2nd set of batteries but it was still doing the same thing then i loosed up the tail cap a little bit and it worked just fine. As soon as I screwed it back, it would turn off.

Sounds like a tail cap issue, bad QC maybe, checked the threads for cleanness

well I kept playing with it and then it got to the point where it wouldn't light up any more so i took apart the top and looked at the star emitter and every thing looked fine. I test the batteries and some how the tail cap had shorted them out their reading 1.3 volts apiece

The cells are dead, with the circuits fried and they're dead anyway, no dice

:| so i put them in the charger but their so low on power the charger doesn't respond that their lithiums and thinks i am some idiot putting in nimh batteries in it but their just really low lithiums.

Um….your trying to charge a battery with a tripped PCB, of course the charger wont respond

so i have 2 questions 1st how did the clicky short out the batteries when it just connects the batteries to the case which makes the light light up and if there was something wrong with the light why is it not doing it now?

It could be a connection issue between two contacts, and that only in a certain orientation does the misalignment take place…again bad QC or something lodged between the contacts….

the flashlight never did get hot maybe 90-105'f and the batteries were cool to the touch also.

That's a good sign that the thermal conductivity of the bezel assembly is conducting heat away from the emitter, but if the hotspot is concentrated mainly toward the rear of the flashlight, your looking at a short.

my 2nd question is their any way i can revive my batteries or altest get them up to about 2 volts so the batteries charger recognizes them? or is it a problem that maby the pcb is tripd and that its not letting them charge just drain? and if so is their any way i can fix this or should i get a refund for them

I gave up translating this part, but I get what your saying
There's nothing wrong with your charger, and your batteries are dead by user error, that wont entitle you for a refund. and no, I don't know of any method you can revive a 18650 that's been over discharged below 2V

Last edited:

f22warzone

Newly Enlightened
But they are protected batteries they say pcb right on the batteries

Ok well the batteries I did the run time on are in the charger right now working fine. The ones that are dead are the ones i used for about 30 min trying to get the flash light to work. Witch did end up just being the tail cap

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
hmmm....maybe you haven't tripped the PCB all the way?

you mentioned 1.3Vs apiece....
I reversed biased one of my protected 14500s and it came out 1.5Vs...and the batteries is considered dead on my part. :ohgeez: :sigh:

Ok well the batteries I did the run time on are in the charger right now working fine. The ones that are dead are the ones i used for about 30 min trying to get the flash light to work. Witch did end up just being the tail cap

wait...the first batch is running fine and the second are the ones that shorted? :shrug:
wow...a temperamental tail cap....um, theoretically if a battery were to short inside the flashlight body both terminals would have to contact the body. Im not sure how that could happen unless the short exists somewhere else since shorting to the body is exactly what a switch does, it closes the circuit for current to travel.

A short could exist in the bezel but your light works and the first batch of cells run fine...I dunno what to tell you man, except I suspect the second batch of cells are faulty :grin2:

Last edited:

f22warzone

Newly Enlightened
You see that is what I am thinking because I had just got the cells. And yes the first batch of cells that ran for 3 hours are still working. They both measured 3.6v when I first got them. And ya the tail cap just close the electric path so that's why I am wondering why taking the plastic black part out enabled the batteries to work. No I remember seeing a picture on here some where that had the dx.

Found and mspainted it :p

throw4lc9.jpg

By f22warzone, shot with Canon PowerShot A620 at 2007-10-07

So as you can see that is what I did and some how it magically works and it doesn't short. So how cans this be how that did ill plastic piece make the thing short or were the batteries just crappy to start with because I do believe that was the first time I had used them.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
A rechargeable should measure 4.2v fully charged. At 3.6v unloaded it is already at least 50% empty. If a battery develops a short,(bad battery) it can still read close to full voltage unloaded. The minute you put a load on it, the voltage drops like a rock.

richdsu

Newly Enlightened
The Ultrafire Protected 18650 Battery X 2 units may be too long for WF-800 Flashlight. When you fit the two batteries into the flashlight, the tailcap spring will exert a lot of force onto the batteries due limited space. This might cause the protected circuit attached to the battery to be shorted or disconnected especially at the positive end.

Try to measure the lengths of the 18650 Batteries and pair them up for short lengths.
You can also consider modifying the rubber Tail Cap ( trim-off the inside plunger to a shorter length so that the tail cap switch can be screwed down further).

Lastly, shortening the length of the compression spring, making the brass plunger assembly a bit less stiff so as not the over compress the batteries.

Quote: "To accomodate the extra protective circuit, these cells are about 0.5mm to 1mm taller than usual 18650 cells. In our sample Cree units this height issue caused some problem with the springs in the flashlight and we had to twist the tail cap loose by half a turn to get the flashlight working."

Last edited: