Need update

recercare

Enlightened
Hello!

Several years ago I bought a Magcharger and a Surefire (6p). I have been very happy with both. Back then the Surefire LED lights had a wide beam with short reach. I guess it's different today, so my question is simple: What is your real life experience with SF LED flashlights vs SF incandescents? For example, the LED version of 6p has 80 lumens, that's 20 lumen more than the 6p incandescent (with p60).......but which one is the brightest in real life and how do they differ (beam, reach etc) ?

And by the way.....what is "Cree" all about? I have been away from this forum for more than a year and feel outdated !

Kind regards
.lars

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree is a company that makes LEDs. The LED everyone is referring to when they say "Cree" is the X-RE. Cree and Seoul Semi-Conductors (SSC) kicked off the high efficiancy emitter wave about a year ago. The big three high efficiancy emitters are the Cree X-RE, the SSC P4, and the Luxeon Rebel. These are all at least twice as efficiant as the old Lux IIIs and Vs. SureFire has started using Cree and SSC emitters in some of their lights. The 6PL has more flood than the 6P, and that's about all I know about those two in comparison. Search around, there are some reviews. As for the incandescent vs LED, it really matters most what the light is used for, as both types have their uses.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I blame it all on the newer LEDs.

The newer LEDs, Cree XR-Em Seoul P4, and Rebel 100 LEDs have double or more the efficiency of the Luxeon I. III, V and K2 LEDs. For the same power, the newer LEDs will produce double or more lumens of the older LEDs. A Luxeon I produces 40 lumens at 1 watt but a Cree XR-E P4 produces 80 lumens minimal at 1 watt(the Q5 produces 107 lumen minimal at the same voltage). The Seoul has similar performance to the Cree Q2 with a similar beam pattern to the Luxeon. The Rebel 100 is by Luxeon and has about 100 lumen at 1 watt.

With the Cree and a good aspheric lens, it is possible to get 70000+ lux!!!
Maglite aspherical mod.

Welcome Back!