Tiablo A9 vs. Peak First Responder

turbodog6

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here, looking for some help! Thanks in advance for your assistance!

I'm looking for a top notch "thrower" for use around the farm. I need to be able to see what's "out there" (racoons, coyotes, neighbor's dog, alien spacecraft, etc. at about 75 yards). I'm currently using one of the "Million Candle Power" rechargable lights available at the big orange store, but get tired of constantly recharging it and would prefer to have something a little higher in quality (one of these Million candle power lights lasts about 4 months for me before they die) and smaller in size (a CR123 light would be perfect).

I've narrowed my search to either the Tiablo A9, or the Peak First Responder. Does anyone have experience with both lights that could give me an idea of which would hold up best to life on the farm? I'm looking for extreme durability and very good throw. Both of these lights offer the option for a reduced output, which would be great for me when I go inside (dark barn, cow shed, etc.).

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. By the way, buying both is not an option, I'm just a poor farmer:-(

robo21

Enlightened
I wouldn't consider a DX light "high quality," if that is a requirement. What is your price range? You mention Tiablo, the A9 with a smooth reflector is an excellent thrower. But there are a lot of choices out there. More info would be helpful.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the reviews of the Peak 1st responder that I've read, it seems to be more of a flooder than a thrower. Do a quick search, I know the reviews are here somewhere. I have never seen a direct comparison.

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here, looking for some help! Thanks in advance for your assistance!

I'm looking for a top notch "thrower" for use around the farm. I need to be able to see what's "out there" (racoons, coyotes, neighbor's dog, alien spacecraft, etc. at about 75 yards). I'm currently using one of the "Million Candle Power" rechargable lights available at the big orange store, but get tired of constantly recharging it and would prefer to have something a little higher in quality (one of these Million candle power lights lasts about 4 months for me before they die) and smaller in size (a CR123 light would be perfect).

I've narrowed my search to either the Tiablo A9, or the Peak First Responder. Does anyone have experience with both lights that could give me an idea of which would hold up best to life on the farm? I'm looking for extreme durability and very good throw. Both of these lights offer the option for a reduced output, which would be great for me when I go inside (dark barn, cow shed, etc.).

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. By the way, buying both is not an option, I'm just a poor farmer:-(

Tiablo A9 are nice for outdoors, if you want throw...For inside the dark barn ,get the Fenix P3D REB100 for more side spill, but remember they all used cr123 battery will cost you $, unless you want to rechargeable battery for the light, if you don't mind to carry a bigger light and have around 80 min of running time with throw and spill..http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1156

gostanova

Newly Enlightened
I got some beamshots of both here, will do outdoor ones in the next few days,
the Peak first responder is an amazing light, it throws almost... but not quite as far as the tiablo, but it fills almost everything else around you with light. The biggest drawback to the Peak is its runtime, ~30 minutes with rcr123s which is what you need to get max brightness, which, btw is phenomenal.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176623

lightfire

Newly Enlightened
I have no experience with the Peak light, but I bought an A9 for use on the farm. I like it.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also the First Responder can use several different battery sizes and types, from alkaline AA to Li-Ion 18650.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the A9 would give the most throw. The WF-800(2 18650 3.7 rechargeable battery) and WF-600(1 18650 rechargeable battery, my guess is about 2.5 hours runtime on high on the cheaper 18650 batteries, charger) has good throw but the Tiablo A9 has even more throw and good quality(but at triple the price).

75 yards in the dark should be no problem for the First responder, A9, WF-800 or WF-600.

:welcome:

robo21

Enlightened
Also the First Responder can use several different battery sizes and types, from alkaline AA to Li-Ion 18650.

The A9 will also use different battery types. Also the A9's build quality is worth the extra cost over the DX lights, IMO. You get what you pay for.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
a regular magled focussed can do 75yds.

also, you could do with a rayovac 3c cree or lowes task force 2c cree (both $30)if quality is not on the very top on the list.
these offer throw only with decent runtime with common c batteries

robo21

Enlightened
a regular magled focussed can do 75yds.

also, you could do with a rayovac 3c cree or lowes task force 2c cree (both $30)if quality is not on the very top on the list.
these offer throw only with decent runtime with common c batteries

If you check post #1 you will see that he stated that he would "prefer something higher in quality..." That would rule out the ray o vac and the Lowe's as well as the Magled IMO.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some beamshots of both here, will do outdoor ones in the next few days,
the Peak first responder is an amazing light, it throws almost... but not quite as far as the tiablo, but it fills almost everything else around you with light. The biggest drawback to the Peak is its runtime, ~30 minutes with rcr123s which is what you need to get max brightness, which, btw is phenomenal.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176623

Welcome to CPF.

Using the beamshots provided in the link above and his written comments that the throw is almost the same, it seems to me that the Peak would be a much more useful light in most situations. Especially if you are only going to get ONE light. The beam pattern of theTiablo almost seems to be specialized for throw and that seems less useful in most situations. The light with the most throw is not always the most useful. The fact that you can vary the brightness continuously on the Peak will be very useful and will give you extended runtimes.

I'm a big fan of Peak lights because their build quality is great and they stand behind their products, although from what I've read the Tiablo also has great build quality.

Last edited:

robo21

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF.

Using the beamshots provided in the link above and his written comments that the throw is almost the same, it seems to me that the Peak would be a much more useful light in most situations. Especially if you are only going to get ONE light. The beam pattern of theTiablo almost seems to be specialized for throw and that seems less useful in most situations. The light with the most throw is not always the most useful. The fact that you can vary the brightness continuously on the Peak will be very useful and will give you extended runtimes.

I'm a big fan of Peak lights because their build quality is great and they stand behind their products, although from what I've read the Tiablo also has great build quality.

If you do go with the Peak light be prepared to carry extra batteries with you. They can't compete with the Tiablo A9's runtime.

With the OP reflector, the Tiablo offers good spill. Granted it is not super floody but it's sufficient for me. I

speedman

Newly Enlightened
The A9 will also use different battery types. Also the A9's build quality is worth the extra cost over the DX lights, IMO. You get what you pay for.

Also I would add that you will get much better run time on the A9 over the DX lights... Bottom line, its just hard to beat the A9 all the way around....:twothumbs

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you check post #1 you will see that he stated that he would "prefer something higher in quality..." That would rule out the ray o vac and the Lowe's as well as the Magled IMO.

would prefer to have something a little higher in quality

come on. everything is a little higher compared to those 4million spotlights imo

just options if quality is not the top factor as i said

robo21

Enlightened
would prefer to have something a little higher in quality

come on. everything is a little higher compared to those 4million spotlights imo

just options if quality is not the top factor as i said

And I said "IMO." I would NEVER buy a ROV or a Magled after my previous experience with them. They are junk IMO - bare minimum flashlights, in quality, but especially in performance. And I have a Cyclops 15 million CP spotlight from Costco that is high quality so not all multi-million CP spotlights are junk.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I said "IMO." I would NEVER buy a ROV or a Magled after my previous experience with them. They are junk IMO - bare minimum flashlights, in quality, but especially in performance. And I have a Cyclops 15 million CP spotlight from Costco that is high quality so not all multi-million CP spotlights are junk.

you read wrong and that's it. relax

ok you stated your opinion and i stated mine. i'm correcting your quote.
they are not the top of the quality ladder but not on the bottom either.
i'm giving alternatives for the "poor farmer"

robo21

Enlightened
you read wrong and that's it. relax

ok you stated your opinion and i stated mine. i'm correcting your quote.
they are not the top of the quality ladder but not on the bottom either.
i'm giving alternatives for the "poor farmer"

I'm relaxed. I'm just saying that IMO your alternatives are bottom of the barrel and I don't think that's what he's looking for. I didn't read anything wrong. Maybe you should re-read the thread.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest the Tiablo A9 over the Peak first responder as it has quite a bit more throw and is also alot more reasonably priced. It is pretty much impossible to beat on the current market.

I do think the Rayovac 3C 4W is a reasonable light, but I'm not sure it will hold up on you if you are that hard on your million CP lights. The 3D MagLED should last for you, but it doesn't have the huge output you are looking for.

If you are going to spend your hard earned money either buy the Tiablo A9 or you could look into the Dereelight DBS, although there aren't any reviews of it like there are with the A9.