Pelican M6 impressions ***Pictures Added***

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fit and finish of this light are not near as good as my P6. There are pit marks in the aluminum and tail threads have some type of anodizing on it, which makes it quit rough. The LOTC does work differently from that of a Surefire; there is a center pin that is spring-loaded and makes contact with the body of the tail cap when it is pushed. The lock out function on my unit does not lockout until it is at the O-ring. This is a problem because it is very loose if turned just a little too far. The push function works very much like that of a Surefire, but pushes easier. This means if you are packing it or putting it in a glove box make sure it is locked out. The beam is oddly shaped and can be changed by hitting the side of the bezel hard or moving the lamp, although, it does seem to stay put under normal use. In my opinion the light output seems to be the same as the P6 when the spot is the same size. It does appear brighter at full spot, however, that would be candlepower not lumens(so I don't know how they are getting there 108 lumens from). I ran two sets of batteries through it and got 55 minutes out of the first set and 57 out of the second. Both sets where brand new SF with 12-12 expiration dates. The runtime test was done twenty minutes on and twenty off with the light output being noticeably less after about 25 minutes total runtime. The light also got very warm after being on for twenty minutes straight. There are five O-rings on this light; one in the tail, one in the bezel and one in the front of the bezel and two below the bezel which serve no purpose. The lens can be replaced easily as mine will soon be. All in all it is a very good light for the money. I would say the light output, fit and finish are very close to a Scorpion - only without the rubber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pelican M6 impressions

Maybe the two external O-rings are spares, or maybe they are planning an accessory carrier that uses the O-rings for a friction fit or they could allow you to use a standard scope mount on the light for the mount on a weapon, I read alot of guys use standard scope mounts but have to wrap the body of lights with tape to cushion it from shock and get a good fit up? Just a few thoughts.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sotyakr

Enlightened

And another thanks! Now I've got an idea of what to expect when mine arrives (hopefully) next week (shipped today by Brown Ground).

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

guess i could expound on that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif i thank you for the review so i don't double up my lights. it does nothing the G2 can't, well, besides the lotc and focus. it's a neat light, but i don't need it to fill any duties that aren't covered by the ones i have now.

again, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

tactical warehouse just got some in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lighthead

Newly Enlightened

More comments pls, just ordered one. sounds like a better mouse trap. competion is what IT'S all about. Lighthead

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do not like the holster however it is the only one that will work as the switch is very easy to activate. I tried it in a leather and nylon 6P holster and it would stay on or activate with any movement. Here are some pictures of the light.
M6.jpg
M6-3-parts.jpg
M6-2-parts.jpg
M6-parts-all.jpg
Bulb.jpg
M6-front-reflect.jpg
M6-reflec.jpg
M6-tail.jpg
Tail-back.jpg

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened

Nice pix...
This light is asking for it to be modded. The lamp assembly
looks like it's made to have a LS mounted on it.

Can't wait to one!

Kirk

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Y2Kirk1028 said:
Nice pix...
This light is asking for it to be modded. The lamp assembly
looks like it's made to have a LS mounted on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

An under-driven 5w would be sweet if one with a low Vf could be procured. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dan

Wolfram

Newly Enlightened
Re: Pelican M6 impressions***Pictures Added***

[ QUOTE ]
jtivat said:
There are five O-rings on this light; one in the tail, one in the bezel and one in the front of the bezel and two below the bezel which serve no purpose. The lens can be replaced easily as mine will soon be. All in all it is a very good light for the money. I would say the light output, fit and finish are very close to a Scorpion - only without the rubber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Call me silly;but it seems the extra o-rings are the to simply provide a more tactile grip. Thanx for your review and photos. I've got one coming from "Dan" to replace my scorpion. I chose this over the Surefire because of the reasonable price for replacement lamps.

Size15's

Flashaholic

People talk about needing replacement lamps and cost being an issue with SureFire Lamp Assemblies.
I don't remember the last time I needed to replace a SureFire lamp because it got old or whatever.
It's not the right thread for this.

SureFire Lamps cost more because they are more stable and last longer (about 30 hours I believe). The Scorpions Lamp is rated at about 5 hours or something pathetic.

Trusting unproven products because of cheaper price?

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

K-T

*Moderator*

What does a spare LA look like? Is it some bi-pin bulb? If so, how do you make sure it is perfectly centered after bulb changing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well...i've replaced my E2 bulb twice already...NONE of them lived up to the 30 hour claim. Both have lasted NO MORE than 7 or 8 battery changes - averaging about 10 hours of runtime before they crapped out.

I'm on my last spare lamp, so i'm hoping it'll last a little longer.

As for this light, It looks like a pipe bomb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif it's not a bad thing, i don't care too much for how a light looks. I'm more conserned how it feels and how it performs. Streamlights are well made lights, for the right price, i would buy one.

Size15's

Flashaholic

That's interesting. Thanks LEDagent. I've EDC'd the E2 and then the E2e over the course of a year each - replacing the batteries every couple of weeks.

What do you mean by crapped out?

BTW, SureFire do not rate lamp life. ~30 hours is my experience of using SureFires.

Al

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

crapped out as in not working anymore with any battery.

You know, i've had a habit in the past for draining my batteries until they were completely dead. I've heard you can shorten the life your your lamp by doing this. Maybe this is why they didn't last very long?

You say that you replace your batteries every couple of weeks. I assume you use your light a lot. About how much energy is left in those cells before you replace them? Do you replace 'em at the first signs of yellowing?

As for the lamp life rating, i thought the 30 hour claim came from Surefire. I thought i read that somewhere...like on there website or something. As a matter of fact....hang on....

Here, check this link:
http://www.brightguy.com/detail.tpl?cart=1046910527885026&sku=LASMN03

Brightguy.com lists the lamp at 30 hours as well. I think SUrefire may be listing in on there website as well. I once called Surefire CS about my first lamp blowing out after the 6th battery change and they too said it was unusual, so they sent me a replacement for free.

Anyway, i don't really mind if they last for 10 hours or 30 hours. 10 hours of lamp life usually lasts for about 6-14 months of EDC use. I only use 'em sparingly. That's why i carry ARC products for longer illumination needs.