Need Flashing Light/LED for Dog Walks at Night

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for suggestions for a flashing light or LED to attach to my dog when walking her at night.

I've tried one of those flashing bank of 3-LEDs that you see bike riders have, but the clip on it is too loose and falls off when she runs.

I'm thinking about a Pelican Flasher or LED mini-flasher. Any other suggestions?

steve_vance

Enlightened
I have on I'll send you free. It's a Guardian (same mfgr as a VIP light)....got it as a sample. I'd use it for my dog /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Or if you prefer I'll give you something else......
I get so many samples it's almost ludicrous.

Illuminated

Enlightened
How about the Aqua Strobe from Princeton-Tec?

Not an LED - but it's small, waterproof, rugged, has fairly long run time, and is highly visible from all directions.

If too bright, it could be toned-down maybe with a little red lens repair tape or something.

Most flashing LED clip-ons I've seen don't have a very wide-viewing angle, but are very bright within that angle.

Good luck!

John

D

**DONOTDELETE**

That's the PrincetonTec Aquastrobe that uses the single AA battery, right? That's what I would use if I had to keep track of an animal based on a flashing light, only..also helps cars find my road at night when I put it out by the mailbox..

pdm

Newly Enlightened
I've a VIP Infra Red and green visible light strobe for sale. It may be a little heavy for your dog's collar but you could use it wearing NODs when walking your dog . Just a thought...

Serious note.. I'd use the cheap bike light strobe(2 or 3 bucks at Sports Authority) and modify the collar with Velcro to securely hold it.

Hemingray

Enlightened
Check the local Agway or pe shop, I've seen LED flashy thingie collars for dogs, orone of teh little inexpensive jogger/walker/biker LED flashers could be clipped on.

/ed B in NH

Kirill

Newly Enlightened
Handmade is always better...

I had such problem - it's difficult to find good product is such great number of products. Most lights are like one box with LEDs and power supply - it's bad for such case. Heavy power supply must be in the bottom of dog's neck, and LED block must be connected to power supply by wire and situated at the top. It's better when there are 3 or 4 LEDs looking in different directions and little upward.
Do you need this only for locating dog, even for protection from cars? In second case, it's better to use light-reflective stripe.

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
Re: Handmade is always better...

I've got a PT Strobe and that is a little too bright. Plus, it's a little expensive to replace in case my dog loses it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

I'm just looking for something to keep her visible for cars to see her, and in case she goes running off somewhere I can see her at night.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Hmmm, I never thought about using velcro or reflective tape. Also since it's my first dog, it didn't even occur to look at the pet store for such a thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

H

harlenm

photon

I have a photon microlight that attach to the dogs collar. There are several settings, and strobing is one of them. I leave it on the middle constant on setting because as she runs, it swings back and forth, and it gives a strove like effect. Works good.

Wylie

Enlightened
Re: photon

Why not a couple Infinity Ultras for her and some Nimh batteries you can recharge. You could even get a white one for the come at you end of her and a red one for the going away. I am not sure how you would work out the brake lights but I would think your going to end up saving money on the batteries.
When I went camping with my friends we used one of the cheap little gray and yellow Rayovacs and clipped onto my buddy's dog's collar and she had her own flashlight to walk trails with. I think she liked it. Pitbull flashoholic if I do say so myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oops! forgot the flashlight part. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Kirill

Newly Enlightened
Re: Handmade is always better...

As I said, handmade is always fits better. Look here: http://www.dogbooties.com/3mreftap.html - different types of reflective tapes, which is 10x times more bright than LED or lamp on collar for car driver. (Traffic police and emergency services always use it for their special clothes.) LED is only good for locating dog in darkness.

electricdude

Newly Enlightened
1st post so go easy
my dog is totally black part pug part ?
hard to see at night.........
using his harness i assembled a string of
leds in a clear plastic tube and tye wrapped them to the harness
sealed the ends with hot glue (leaving the 9v batt leads hang out connected to 9 volt batt ....
lasts for about 3 evenings around the camp fire
with the other dogs biteing and playing with my dog
tye wrapped the battery at the bottom of the harness.
When the "light harness" comes out "Devil Dog"
knows whats in store.

Wylie

Enlightened
I just found some flashlighing lights that may be in the right price range. There is a website selling a few different lights here. I hope I am not too late.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.auroralites.com/

collar2.jpg

The owner of Auroralites is a fellow flashoholic here on CPF.

There have been several good threads on dog collars, and lighting up dogs at night.

Do a search on this topic to find them.
Also, the Pelican mini-flasher:
pelimflash.jpg

TOB9595

Enlightened
One thing to bear in mind when using a strobe. EPILEPSY
I learned the hard way with Coco my Lady's black as night without a tigerlight cocker spaniel.
Tom