I got my Arc AAA-P DS Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!!!

Its not angry blue! My original CS is very blue compared to the DS. Its a bright sunny day in Sacramento so I really can't see a noticable difference in output. The hotspot appears to be bigger with a slight blue core (reminiscent of the later CS LED versions). The closet test indicates plenty of light with pretty good color rendition for a 5mm LED.

Definitely worth the extra $5 IMHO.

Thanks Peter and crew!!!

I'm taking my Father to Germany in a week and I will put my new favorite through the paces.

As an added bonus my wife is not in the house so she can't complain I just bought 2 more lights.

kelmo

BTW, I can't post beamshots. Sorry...

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I got my (3) units today. Based on your comments, I'm wondering if I was actually shipped a DS or not. They perform (to the eye) just like my other 2x Arc-P lights that I have.

planex

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. Now you have me wondering. When mine comes, I hope I will be able to tell the difference between the DS and older Arc Premium CS..... I guess there is no physical difference to distinguish the lights from one another?

Xcel

Newly Enlightened
I got my (3) units today. Based on your comments, I'm wondering if I was actually shipped a DS or not. They perform (to the eye) just like my other 2x Arc-P lights that I have.

For a guy that doesn't have a CS this maybe (will) a problem, such as myself. Is there any difference on the backside of the head? If so could someone post a picture or description.

Thanks.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got to use it in the dark. It does put out more light. The hot spot spreads out really well to envelope whats in front of you. The white wall test does not really yield a big difference between CS and DS other than the DS is noticabley whiter. Its very simular to comparing a Surefire P60 and P61 lamp. Up close you really can't tell the difference. But when you widen the test area and have a contrasting background the increased output is noticable.

kelmo

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very well put!!!!

I got to use it in the dark. It does put out more light. The hot spot spreads out really well to envelope whats in front of you. The white wall test does not really yield a big difference between CS and DS other than the DS is noticabley whiter. Its very simular to comparing a Surefire P60 and P61 lamp. Up close you really can't tell the difference. But when you widen the test area and have a contrasting background the increased output is noticable.

kelmo

Penguin

Enlightened
Got my DS today too, I ordered an early version of the CS when it first came out (the ones with the angry blue tint) and the DS seems to be only a slight bit brighter than my CS, but with a much nicer tint... I understand our eyes are more sensitive to wavelengths in the blue and green spectrum but I doubt the DS has a noticeable difference against an later gen Arc-P... I'll be able to compare tonight.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Maybe I'm the one that's confused or possibly I missed a product offering along the way. As I understand it, these lights are now the so-called "DS" (whatever the hell that means) lights, which will replace the current Arc-P line. Prior to that, there was the 2x-brighter Arc-P light. What's this "CS" all about? Was this yet another offering between the "DS" and the "2x"?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my Arc AAA-P w/DS today and I am very happy with the brighter output! The best did get brighter:thumbsup:

I also agree that the tint is improved over the previous version with the CS in it. I have replaced my AAA-P w/CS and now my new EDC is the new DS.

At this point, I can truly say that I no longer want brighter... I want longer running; and in the future, it looks as if this will be the case as things just keep getting better and better as it relates to LED efficiency.

I also want to add that I don't want 2 levels of light on my AAA-P... I just want them to be as bright as the DS or the CS and longer running.

I WAS THRILLED TO GET MY DS TODAY! THANK YOU ARC FOR THE QUICKEST TO MARKET AAA LIGHT (OR ANY LIGHT FOR THAT MATTER) WITH THE NEW DS!

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm the one that's confused or possibly I missed a product offering along the way. As I understand it, these lights are now the so-called "DS" (whatever the hell that means) lights, which will replace the current Arc-P line. Prior to that, there was the 2x-brighter Arc-P light. What's this "CS" all about? Was this yet another offering between the "DS" and the "2x"?

TIN,

The newest and brightest AAA-P has the new Nichia DS LED which is brighter than the Nichia CS LED that was in the Arc AAA-P up to this point. I believe that the AAA-P w/the CS is still available so be careful when ordering these on the website.

The new DS is offering a minimum of 9 lumens vs. 5.5 lumens with the CS LED. Runtime should remain unchanged.

I highly recommend it.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN,

I believe the CS was the 2x brighter version. The DS is the next generation Nichia LED I think.

So the lineage goes, Arc LE, Arc P, company reconstitution, Arc P CS, Arc P DS.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
OK, thanks. Looks like I didn't miss an offering at all, which is good. Now I need to work with Peter to see what's wrong in my case of the (3) units I recieved. They are not brighter and do not run as long as the (3) Arc 2x (CS) that I have. A couple hours ago, unit #1 started to have a flickering issue. I no sooner e-mailed Peter and unit #2 is now flickering with a new cell loaded as well. The flickering starts 15-20 minutes into a constant run.

fleegs

Enlightened
Got mine today. It is as bright as my Fenix LOD-CE on medium. It is pretty cool. I am glad I have an Arc again.

Rob

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, thanks. Looks like I didn't miss an offering at all, which is good. Now I need to work with Peter to see what's wrong in my case of the (3) units I recieved. They are not brighter and do not run as long as the (3) Arc 2x (CS) that I have. A couple hours ago, unit #1 started to have a flickering issue. I no sooner e-mailed Peter and unit #2 is now flickering with a new cell loaded as well. The flickering starts 15-20 minutes into a constant run.

TIN, will you be doing a runtime test with the new DS Arcs, maybe after you get your replacements. i remember your runtime tests from long ago and they were very informative and helpful.

from the Nichia spec sheet, the new DS has a lower Vf (3.2-3.5) compared to the CS(3.6-4.0) so i'm assuming runtime should be better than the current Arc-P.

Xcel

Newly Enlightened
Did get my Arc DS today. Besides some small imperfections in the finsih and machine work, this little thing is perfect. It is my first one and I will say that for most of the work I use a flashlight for this one will be the one doing the work. Size, shape, ease of use and the fact that is uses just one AAA is great. I don't have to keep stock in CR123s as much anymore. Plus, AAA are cheap and use to find. The blue tint is fine with me, it is really not bad. The beam profile/pattern is nice. Good spill with a nice hotspot. Somewhat like a mini L4.....sort of. I do understand the idea of having a AA model that has more power, brighter, etc. and the design and ease of use all in one package. It is appealing. Granted, the new LS takes the place of an AA which is okay with me. I'll take one of those too.

Ozniot

Newly Enlightened
Got mine yesterday. It's brighter and a whole lot less bluish than my Fenix E0. In fact, the apparent brightness approaches my Streamlight Stylus Pro on two AAAs! (The tint however, isn't as white as the Streamlight.) This light gets promoted to the keychain!

Status
Not open for further replies.