New user question? Tiablo A8 WCQ5

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I recently received a New direct from Tiablo,, A8 OD limited edition.
I also, received a 2 ea AW 18650 2200 mah( protected) batteries from AW.
All I can say is that both vendors shipped in a very prompt time. And if I would have known we had us distributors, probably would have bought it from them.

As far as the A8 goes, I was pretty pumped when I received it as I was heading out that evening to do a little Dove hunting the next day, and thought great I can charge the batteries tonight and use the flashlight in the morning. but I decided to make sure the light and batteries were going to work. I charged the batteries they were both at around 3.8v when I received them. They came off the Ultrafire WF-139 at 4.21 and 4.19. I installed one into the A8 preceded to do a continuous run that night, the beam is great lots a throw. But, the run time (20 min ) is no where near any of the published run times, and the light started going what looked like High to low or it may have been just flickering I just can't be sure. I installed the other battery and it ran for a total of 25 min then the A8 started it's flicker again (noticed light getting warm also) . I removed the battery and measured the voltage both were around 3.7-3.8.

This A8 is the limited edition supposedly optimized for the 18650 type of battery could it be just a small conditioning is needed for the batteries? I have tried to do a quick learn on the Li-on batteries, maybe this light exceeds the amp draw the battery is capable of supplying. I have just read several reviews here CPF about the A8 and A9 no mention of flickering
Any suggestion for a rookie.

Mike

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
2:30pm
Update: I just installed freshly charged AW 18650 2200mah battery @ 25min continuous run light started to flicker again removed battery installed other freshly charged battery light went right to High no flicker has been running flicker free for past 10 min. just after installing other battery I measured the removed battery it read 3.98 I guess it could have recovered substantially in the few seconds It took to change the batteries out? does seem like the batteries are not capable of providing the max current needed?

Mike

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
Well I suspect what I am observing is normal with lights that are regulated. I left both batteries in the light after they each had a fresh charge. After 20-25min of continuous run each battery would kinda pulse, flicker, blink momentarily then stabilize at a fairly constant output, I have no method to determine a numeric value but, it looked consistent. each battery operated the light for aprox 98min to 105min and at the end started doing the same flicker, pulse, blink again then 2-3 min later shut off. So, I guess the regulation is not totally invisible, kinda clunky but it works. Oh yeah, I measure each battery when the light shut off 2.71.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Tiablo A8 should run for about your stated time at full output according to this comparison. Maybe ask for a replacement? I don't have a Tiablo so I don't know if the flickering is normal or not(I'm guessing not normal).

Is the tailcap loose in any way?

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks gunner, I looked at the chart Guess what I'm seeing might be the regulation circuit. I got roughly 2hr run time from a single 18650 2200mah I guess I'm just thinking their should be no noticeable flicker, modulation of the beam during continuous run. Probably just my misunderstanding on how this light works.

supes

Enlightened
If what your experiencing is true for the rest of the A8 lights, then I now have narrowed down the buy list of lights by one.

I don't like the idea of having a light on constant and then ever once in a while have it flicker or strobe. Personal preference here.

ca pow

Newly Enlightened
Upon arrival, my A8 Q5 ran for twelve minutes, then dimmed, then flickered. Eventually it quit working. The vendor quickly sent a replacement light engine, now it works great.

Last edited:

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
Upon arrival, my A8 Q5 ran for twelve minutes, then dimmed, then flickered. Eventually it quit working. The vendor quickly sent a replacement light engine, now it works great.

Thanks for the info, I have a feeling what I am seeing is not 100% normal since I'm the only one to report it. I'll probably do another continuous run. to confirm, if it still goes through the blink, pulse, flicker i'll contact Tiablo.

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
I have had the same thing happen to me with my a8-q5 and it doesn't matter which cells I used it still flickered. I have requested (demanded) a new regulation module and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Contact the seller for a replacement/refund.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've had, and resolved a few similar complaints of flickering. Only a new light engine will solve the problem - please contact your vendor.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the older light engines had trouble powering the Q5's if the Q5 had a higher VF. Maybe the new light engine solves this.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It seems that the Tiablo as had a few more issues than the MRV...just an observation from my perspective. Flickering usually indicates a problem. Hope that they resolve it for you.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should clarify that the flickering has only been reported by 2-3 customers and we've sold like 100 A8 SE's so clearly it's not a 'major' issue - I cannot begin to say why it happens....