What could make a SSC P4 suddenly shift color?

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if it were overdriven it would be angry blue, what you are describing sounds more like under driven. Perhaps a board, battery or conductivity changed?

DM51

Flashaholic
This happened a lot with the Amilite T5 soon after it first came out. The light was designed to take 3V primaries, but of course people just had to go and put R123s into them (3.7V nom, 4.2V fresh off the charger) despite being advised not to do that. The emitters were overdriven, turned yellow, then brown, then burned out completely.

I'm not saying that you have necessarily overdriven yours - it could just be a bad one. But the emitter has failed for some reason and needs to be replaced. Look on the positive side - it's an opportunity for you to upgrade to a more powerful bin!

whippoorwill

Enlightened
All that has been in it were 3.0 volts lithium and rechargeables. I think I have a bum one. The emitter was made in May 07 and the light has been used very little. I ain't buying the tin plated crap. If that were the case then there would be a huge recall. That would be a major issue.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Please be more specific. Which light are you using the SSC P4 in? What kind of circuit does the light have? Does the led have good heat sinking? What current(s) does the led run at? Is it a mod?

Bill

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Heat heat heat heat................another led bites the dust.
Well it's time to break out the soldering iron and upgrade!:caution:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
All that has been in it were 3.0 volts lithium and rechargeables. I think I have a bum one. The emitter was made in May 07 and the light has been used very little. I ain't buying the tin plated crap. If that were the case then there would be a huge recall. That would be a major issue.
Yes, you should be a bit more specific. 3.0 volt primary lithium cells.... and what voltage rechargeables? What light is this in?

richdsu

Newly Enlightened
The SSC P4 Emitter ... have you checked if the base slug ( +ve ) is shorted to the body ???

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heat heat heat heat................another led bites the dust.
Well it's time to break out the soldering iron and upgrade!:caution:

:thumbsup:

You will have the opportunity to ensure good contact with the heatsink at this time (while ensuring the slug is not making contact). This will allow the LED to enjoy a nice long life of service in your light.