Red filter for AAA-P?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Just had a thought -- it sounds like Peter is worried about not enough interest for colored LED AAA-P's, but what about a red filter option?

Maybe something similar to what Surefire or Mag offers, a rubber cap with a red (or other color) lens?

Sure, I could break out the Dremel and try to create my own, but it would be neat if something like this could be offered OEM from Arc.

Just a thought... :thinking: :)

Marduke

Flashaholic
white LED's + color filter = poor efficiency

You'd turn 10 lumens of white into 3-4 lumens of redish light.

Xcel

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like a interesting idea but I do agree with Marduke's poor efficiency comment. Methinks we push for a Red Arc.:D

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
this sounds like a good idea since i'm assuming the red filter would be used at night to preserve night vision so less light output would be a good thing and if you needed more light then just pop off the red filter!

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
white LED's + color filter = poor efficiency

You'd turn 10 lumens of white into 3-4 lumens of redish light.

Thats fine because when you want to preserve night vision, you do not want that much light anyway.

I plan on making one by simply getting a vacuum line and simple red tail light repair tape from an auto store.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might be a starting place -- my turq AAA has a very ringy beam. I placed a Writeright diffuser (clear) on it and it made a nice even flood. I lightly roughened the front of the bezel with scotchbrite, heated it a little (hairdryer) and pressed it on the diffuser. After a few minutes I trimmed it with a razor blade. Has held up very well but is only used around the house is is rarely pocket carried.

The taillight repair tape sounds promising.

GlockDoc

Newly Enlightened
I made my own for a Streamlight Jr LED. A piece of tail-light lense repair tape stuck on the bezel. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If Peter went for a red led at same drive level as white leds the beam would be crazy bright. I have a CMG red Infinity and it is brighter than the Ultra Infinity, not lumens but brightness.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.