Fenix P2D-RB100 Vs. Novatac 120P

skalata

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone comment on the MAJOR differences between these two models?
Seems to me they are pretty similar in many regards except the 120 is somewhat better built and made in the US instead of China.
Is the P2D is a better value over all? The fact that the 120P is programmable is not that important to me.

Was all set to add the 120P to my collection but started to have second thoughts after using a P2D-RB100!

Thoughts...?

Last edited:

smvtsailor

Newly Enlightened
Aside from the manufacturing quality, the major differences are the britghtness and price. The P2D has a higher maximum brightness, but it might not be too noticeable.

robo21

Enlightened
I don't have a P2D I have a P1D-CE Q5. My 120P is vastly superior in every way from build quality to beam quality to runtime. The beam on the NovaTac is awesome with a nice milky spill that is very useful in practical application. Personally, I dislike the twisty.

Don't get me wrong, for what it is the Fenix is a decent light. But I would NEVER consider foregoing the NovaTac for a Fenix. If I had to choose any one light of all my lights and get rid of the rest, my choice would be to keep the NovaTac. It obviously isn't the brightest light I own, but it is the best, most versatile flashlight I've ever seen or owned. It reeks of quality and it's backed by a lifetime warranty.

You may say now that the programmability is not an important feature for you. That's what I thought until I saw how useful (and fun) this feature is. You can program the light to come in high or dim or any combination or ordering you can think of. You make the dim as low as low as .08 lumens for situations that require discrete lighting. I love not having SOS assigned but available IF I need it - hasn't happened yet. But with Fenix SOS is there whether you want it or not. And programming is a piece of cake.

If you get the NovaTac and aren't absolutely delighted you can always sell it for a small discount on the CP Marketplace. The light will always be in demand. I don't see that happening though it is just too cool a torch.

Also, I struggled with the price of the NovaTac before I purchased it and subsequently got spoiled with the quality and versatility. I'm very glad I made the leap of faith. Good luck with your new flashlight. It's a wonderful predicament to be in. :D

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I like about the Novatac is that even though it has many features, it can still be used as very simply. Because the extra modes are in the options menu you never have to see them unless you want to. I also like having the abiltiy to access any of the different light levels anytime I want rather than cycling through levels. In terms of feel, I also prefer the better grip I can get on a Novatac vs a Fenix. And as someone mentioned, I think you would find having programmability a bonus.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a Fenix P2D, and while it is a nice light and I never had problems with it....My vote is for the 120P...Hands down!

I like it for its size and durable build. It has a great programmable UI that allows you 4 settings anywhere from .08 lumens all the way up to 120 lumens. Any one of your programmed settings is available with a click. It also has some strobe and SOS settings if you desire. I never use those and have my light set for 1.3L, 15L, 60L, and 120L. Once you have your light programmed to the settings that fit your needs, it is a very simple light to use. It has a nice smooth beam that has decent throw with a spot that transitions very smoothly into very useful spill. This is another great light I am happy to have in my collection, and would highly recommend as an EDC light. It also feels like it could take some real abuse and keep on going.

Last edited:

moses

Enlightened
How brighter is the Fenix P2D than the Novatac? One huge bonus with the Fenix for me is that they quickly adapt the latest and brightest.....plus one twist of the head to go instantly into Turbo regardless of previous settings.

Everything else you guys say about Novatac is sure attractive but....at the expense of max brightness and twist head?

Moses

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Visibly the P2D is not much brighter than the 120P. And the advantage that you seem to think the P2D twisty bezel has...is no advantage at all. That makes it a two handed operation, while the 120P is a true one handed light. Its high setting is available with one click from any of the other settings, or available from off with two quick clicks. You don't have to cycle through anything to get from one setting to another, and any of the settings are available immediately just through the click of the button.

To me, the P2D has the disadvantage.

Last edited:

robo21

Enlightened
Visibly the P2D is not much brighter than the 120P. And the advantage that you seem to think the P2D twisty bezel has...is no advantage at all. That makes it a two handed operation, while the 120P is a true one handed light. Its high setting is available with one click from any of the other settings, or available from off with two quick clicks. You don't have to cycle through anything to get from one setting to another, and any of the settings are available immediately just through through the click of the button.

To me, the P2D has the disadvantage.

I agree. Or alternatively, you could have maximum accessible with just a click+press from any setting. The choices are many with the NovaTac. There is no way that a twisty is ever an advantage in my book.

And to anyone who says the price point is a disadvantage with the NovaTac I would share the following: "There is scarcely a thing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey." John Ruskin

robo21

Enlightened
Let's do the brick wall test. Throw both the P2D and the 120P up against a brick wall 5 times, and see who comes out winning.
:lolsign: No contest!
smash.gif

CallMeDave

Newly Enlightened
Novatac has (among other things):

- Low (low) low
- Low that does not first flash momentarily bright
- Tactical click 'n' hold (if you want it)
- Last level memory (if you want it)
- Every other brightness setting that you want (when you want it)

Dave

Tremendo

Enlightened
Guys, the P2D-P100 has a tail switch. It's not a twisty. I love mine, and looked at the Novatec 120's when I decided on 2 P2D-P100's. Programmable is neat, but the Novatec is also bigger and a different feel.

skalata

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'm sold!
I placed an order for the 120P this morning with Lighthound.

:twothumbs

Gatsby

Enlightened
I once owned an Arc 4+, bought an HDS and keep thinking about a Novatac just for more lumens (or modding my HDS). While the switch was problematic on the Arc 4+, the basic design elements of the light - the UI, clicky switch, options menu, etc... the legacy of which continues in the HDS and Novatac lights, remains remarkably well thought out and useful, and has spoiled me for a lot of other lights. When I got my HDS, and after testing it for a period of time to make sure it worked reliably (hey I was a bit gun shy after the Arc) I sold I think 4-5 other lights as those bases were covered with the HDS. No question if I could only have one light it would be an HDS/Novatac light. Well built and once programmed (or heck just used at factory default settings) it is pretty simple to use. I like to be able to toggle directly to most settings quickly, and I like the low low and the placement of really optional features (strobe, sos, etc...) where they should be, in an options menu. The build quality is excellent and I've never had a problem with any aspect of the light not being done very well.

But they are expensive lights relatively speaking, and not for everyone. I recently purchased a Liteflux LF5 and from what I've seen, the LF lights have the closest UI to an HDS/Novatac that isn't an HDS/Novatac. At around 1/3 to 1/2 the price, it is a good value and overall a pretty sweet little light. If it had a switch it would really be a stunner. Still, it is not at the same level in terms of build quality, etc... but for many it is certainly good enough, and the Fenix lights are much the same (although I don't like their interface as well, but the P2D and the two stage AA lights are the best of the bunch, relatively).

I don't know what the proper comparison is, because it is not just brand name, there is a distinct difference. Maybe the question is whether that difference matters enough to pay the additional money.