Which M@g for Tri-Star Mag (D Cell)

thefish

Enlightened
I am thinking about building my very first Tri-Star Mag setup, what would be a good host for this? Would a 4D be enough? I dont want to use any D --> AA things just pure D batteries.

Also I remember someone posted a switch circuit here using a decade counter to switch between 1, 2, and all 3 LED's does anyone have a link for me?

Optic: I was going to use 3 x Faren Reflectors from Arrow but they are sold out now, is there any other good source?

Driver: Usually I build my on but this time I will go wth the Shark

LED: 3x P4 or Q2 Cree LED's

Heatsink: I will use the PTS-2 D

thefish

Enlightened
I think a 4D would be the bare minimum.

That is kind of what I was thinking too, already I dont like the numbers on 4D's (Alkaline).

Fresh Batteries: 6Vin 1.39Ain --> 11.1Vout 750MAout
Low Batteries: 4Vin 2.08Ain --> 11.1Vout 750MAout

Drawing 1.4+ Amps from Alkaline D Cells is really going to limit their capacity...

JamisonM

Enlightened
That is kind of what I was thinking too, already I dont like the numbers on 4D's (Alkaline).

Fresh Batteries: 6Vin 1.39Ain --> 11.1Vout 750MAout
Low Batteries: 4Vin 2.08Ain --> 11.1Vout 750MAout

Drawing 1.4+ Amps from Alkaline D Cells is really going to limit their capacity...
I was going to make something like this a while ago, but never ended up doing so. Sure, it was going to be bright, but after stepping back and looking at things; I figured it was going to be more trouble then it was worth for me. A single emitter driven at it's max has the makings of a great light. I ended up buying two of Gene's drop-ins and a haven't looked back. That's not so say it can't be and done and that its not worth it to some people, but until LEDs reach the 300+ lumen range from a single one, I think these three+ emitter setups are impractical.

thefish

Enlightened
I was going to make something like this a while ago, but never ended up doing so. Sure, it was going to be bright, but after stepping back and looking at things; I figured it was going to be more trouble then it was worth for me. A single emitter driven at it's max has the makings of a great light. I ended up buying two of Gene's drop-ins and a haven't looked back. That's not so say it can't be and done and that its not worth it to some people, but until LEDs reach the 300+ lumen range from a single one, I think these three+ emitter setups are impractical.

I can understand that point of view; a couple months past I built a single LED M@g. A LuxIII emitter, DHS-D heat sink, and my fishpill driver. It is nice in my car since it runs for about 48hours straight (24 hours full brightness) but now I just want more. Not really for any practical reasons just more for the sake of more. Although you are right 300+ lumens per LED would be great.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-Ion or NiMH cells are the way to go with boost converters in a Tri-LED, the Alkies voltage will sag too much and the run time will be very short for the size light your carrying around.

A 2C with 18650 or C Li-Ion cells is a really nice package with a good bit of punch for its size and you can drive the LED's at 1000mA no problem.

Eh' just a though to kick around you have a lot of options to look at :)

Later
Kelly

thefish

Enlightened
Li-Ion or NiMH cells are the way to go with boost converters in a Tri-LED, the Alkies voltage will sag too much and the run time will be very short for the size light your carrying around.

A 2C with 18650 or C Li-Ion cells is a really nice package with a good bit of punch for its size and you can drive the LED's at 1000mA no problem.

Eh' just a though to kick around you have a lot of options to look at :)

Later
Kelly

That is something interesting to think about... I had forgot about the C side Li-Ion cells out now... then again I dont like the way a C cell Mag looks but I guess I could use a D cell body and just add some PVC to take up the extra room... maybe a 3 x D body running 3 x C Li-Ion... or the D cell Li-Ion batteries from kaidomain but they are unprotected.

Last edited:

acourvil

Enlightened
That is something interesting to think about... I had forgot about the C side Li-Ion cells out now... then again I dont like the way a C cell Mag looks but I guess I could use a D cell body and just add some PVC to take up the extra room... maybe a 3 x D body running 3 x C Li-Ion... or the D cell Li-Ion batteries from kaidomain but they are unprotected.

With a 3D you can fit 4C Li-ion, which gives you a more alternatives.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I have made at least a dozen Tri-Cree modded lights running 3D Alk or NiMh direct wired to the Crees in PARALLEL (not series). Some people add a small (1 ohm or smaller) resistor for insurance against thermal runaway, but the resistance in the stock spring and switch have worked for me.