Went hiking tonght

nyyankeefen

Newly Enlightened
School: Erie PA, Hometown: Ft. Lauderdale FL
So I go to Penn State Erie which has plenty of trails surrounding the campus. For the past 2 weeks i've been exploring as many of the trails as I can. I started out using my pelican 7060, but after reading about how a lot of you guys only use dim lights in these types of soroundings I decided to change things up a bit tonight. I used my arc AAA-p as my primary and had my p3D (not rebel) and my 7060 as backups. It took a little getting used to, but after a wile I started to understand the befits of a dimmer light.

So later in the hike I start hearing voices...instantly cut the light..not shure who it was i didnt want them to relize I was there (at this point I was glad I wasnt using the 7060)....it turns out they were just some kids drinking out in the middle of nowhere trying to navagate with cell phones. As I passed them one kid goes "see hes smart... he brought a flashlight". I couldn't imagin trying to navagate with a cell phone in these conditions.

I gotta say, theres nothing more fun than being out in the middle of the woods playing with flashlights.

Just thought i'de share my story......
:candle:

scottaw

Enlightened
When you get to transfer up to PSU main campus there's a ton of awesome hiking and mountain biking up here. And of course, plenty of places to use all your lights.

KingGlamis

Banned
Cool story. I often walk in the woods with two lights, both off. One low lumen for general navigating, and one high lumen light for spotting "strange noises." I only turn them on when needed.

Flashlight Enthusiast
i haven been there in the woods, with only my cell phone and zippo, not fun!

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was camping in Keele woods with a few friends and one of them had forgotten something in his car. I handed him a Cybalite (Nuwai) Luxeon III C-cell powered flashlight. However, I had never actually tested what happens when the cells run out of juice. This flashlight actually just cuts out, no warning. My friend had to navigate his return journey with a cellphone, having had a 90ish lumen flashlight before.

scottaw

Enlightened
nyyan, maybe i spoke too soon, i just got back from mtn biking and got a warning that you're not allowed to bike in the woods. Apparently the state game commission can only designate 6 miles of trail out of 3000 acres for biking use, the rest is for hunters only. LAME.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't imagine going in to the woods without at least one flashlight.

Agreed. I don't even go to WORK without at least one light, though! And I work in an office. LOD-CE and a millermod ARC-aaa.
In the woods after dark I ALWAYS have headlamp with spare cells, plus AAA long-running light (such as ARC aaa) AND a more powerful light with at LEAST one spare (PID-CE for size and weight).

nyyankeefen

Newly Enlightened
School: Erie PA, Hometown: Ft. Lauderdale FL
A flashlight? Doesn't he mean three?

Anyways, great story. I can't imagine going in to the woods without at least one flashlight.

Well the arc was in my hand ....7060 was on holster and I had my shirt untucked so they didnt see it. The P3D was in my pack along with a multitool and spare batteries. Im not about to go in the woods with just one light and no spare batteries. I'de rather have it and not need it.
Sorry I cant do the headlamp thing...I understand the benifits, but its little too...u kno, dorky I guess lol

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I cant do the headlamp thing...I understand the benifits, but its little too...u kno, dorky I guess lol

You are going to have to overcome this feeling of dorkiness:poke:

My wife thinks it is pretty dorky that I talk flashlights with y'all but we know better right:green:?

Headlights rule and so does walking in the woods at night! I tossed out the idea of an all night hike a while back and I need to revisit the idea.

Great story.

Windscale

Enlightened
I was camping in Keele woods with a few friends and one of them had forgotten something in his car. I handed him a Cybalite (Nuwai) Luxeon III C-cell powered flashlight. However, I had never actually tested what happens when the cells run out of juice. This flashlight actually just cuts out, no warning. My friend had to navigate his return journey with a cellphone, having had a 90ish lumen flashlight before.

I also had this kind of experience once many years ago in Canons Park (which wasn't a very big park) when my friend's Minimag's bulb blown. It was a night without moonlight or starlight. There were 5 of us and only my friend and myself had lights. Once his was blown, out came my UKE (it was under a different brand name then which I can no longer remember) 2xCR123A and lent it to him. I used my Petzl Duo all along (no LEDs in those days). I used to love that light for walking as I carried it in a side pouch hung on my belt. I rarely used it as a headlamp. The battery pack would remain in the pouch whilst I held the head at waist level. I liked this light so much as it had a low bulb which was good enough most of the time and it did not suck batteries. What I did not tell my friends was that in fact I carried another Scorpion 2xCR123A with me. Our group still go out night walking together. Now we all have LEDs of some sort. The sad fact, however, is that all my aforementioned lights have now retired.

Brozneo

Enlightened
Yep nice story! I had a 'similar' story the other night when I went running and decided to check out the local school... I ran down onto one of their fields (very dark) and there was a car parked in the far corner which I lit up for awhile (looked a little suspicous) and then went and walked behind one of the buidlings... The next thing I know the car has started and and is gunning to the exit! I take a look and it is a bunch of 16-17 yr olds who have been drinking / smoking! I lit the car up as it past me and the scared look on their faces was priceless!!