Self Defense Help !!

Chase2b

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I am a newbie to all and have been researching on which light to get for (outside) self defense. On doing the research, I was amazed about what a huge "hobby" this is for so many...in fact, the more I read, the more the bug is biting.
I currently own a SF G2 (upgrade on its way) and would like to get a powerful, but smaller, self defense light. It doesn't have to have the crenellated bezels.
I would prefer a light of 100L or greater and would like the size to be 4.5" or smaller with about a 1" dia. and a weight less than 4ozs. The G2 is just a bit larger to carry than I would like. I want the light to be able to light up a possible problem from a good distance.
I was looking at the Fenix p3d but was concerned in a defense situation, that trying to click this and turn that would take to much time.
I am asking for help since my head is spinning with all the choices.
The light would seldom be used for anything but self defense.
Thanks.

Last edited:

lightemup

Flashaholic*
:welcome:

Hmm my recommendation would be something along the lines of a Surefire L4.

Not as wide as the g2, 100 lumens, "wall of light" for indoors and not bad throw outdoors, rugged, reliable and as its a led no filament to burn out... Don't know what 4 ozs is, but the L4's pretty light to me.

You seem like you're trying to keep it simple so you don't need any functions etc. Push in tailcap: Light on Click on tailcap: Permanent on. It can be locked out as well so it doesn't go on in your pocket...

If it is for edc scalloped bezel is probably as good if not better than crenelated as some people have issues with the bezels wearing out pockets.

IMHO you don't want something as short say as the Surefire E1e because you still want sufficient length that you can get a good grip on it and be able to do strikes with it if need be.

The one downside compared to other lights is that the centre hotspot isn't as bright as it could be because of the flood like beam, but not so much as to turn someone off it...

lightemup

Flashaholic*
BTW I couldn't ascertain this from your post (looks like you've got a plan but I just thought I'd mention it), but just bear in mind that the main purposes for a torch is illumination and possibly temporary disorientation. The best you can really count on a torch for is buying a couple of seconds to do something else.

Jack Bauer could probably disassemble a torch and turn it into a WMD, and Chuck Norris could probably take out 50 henchmen with a eveready 2d with dead batteries ;) but what I am trying to say is don't think that by having a torch that you're good to walk through the red light district at 2am :)

Apologies in advance if this is bleeding obvious to you and its part of an overall plan :)

Remember if you're in a bind think: WWJBD :D

Last edited:

Dr.K

Enlightened
P3D might be a good option.

I keep mine in turbo mode so when I click it it comes on max bright, like in a defensive situation (one tap for strobe), but if I require less light I just turn the head to the lower settings.

Usually the light is used for non defense situations, so two hands doesn't matter.:welcome:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fenix L2T is a fairly simple two-mode light. Twist the bezel to select low or high and ail clicky for one off. I've been very tempted to pick one up, but I have other priorities right now.

Ofelas

Enlightened
Chase2b - at the risk of sounding blase I think relying on a flashlights lumens...or the 'strobe effect"...or "disorienting feature" etc. takes a distant place to concentrating on the careful selection & diligent practice with a more persuasive method of defense.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Chase2b - at the risk of sounding blase I think relying on a flashlights lumens...or the 'strobe effect"...or "disorienting feature" etc. takes a distant place to concentrating on the careful selection & diligent practice with a more persuasive method of defense.

A tactical light compliments the more persuasive methods of defense. I'm going to assume that Chase2b realizes that a flashlight by itself is only a small part of the self defense spectrum. :)

I carry the P3D-Rebel with the head twisted to high. This eliminates any carry confussion. The L4 is a good choice too if you are able to spend the extra $100.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Would Jack Bauer Do? If he is anything like Kiefer Sutherland, he would get himself arrested for drunk driving. I noticed he was packing a Surefire M6 in the last episode (or close to it) of season 1. That is my choice for duty and sometimes off duty.

I also have a Lumapower M1 Tactical for a coat pocket and Novatac 120T for a pants pocket (though I usually only carry one). I don't call them "self defense flashlights," but "search/contact flashlights" or "emergency flashlights." I have used my M6 to stop freeway traffic while my supervisor crossed on foot. I have used my 120T to search for suspects in a junkyard (who I was reasonably certain were unarmed). I was lighting up Black Widow spiders with my 120T the other night. My Fenix P2D CE is too unreliable to carry, unfortunately.

I tend to think about situations where darkness is a mere nuisance and situations where it can be more serious. I think a recent thread where a CPFer crossing a street diverted an aggressive driver with a flashlight (and simultaneously alerted police) is an excellent example of the true value of a bright flashlight. Had the driver stopped and gotten out of his car to confront the CPFer, the light would have provided a slight tactical advantage while illuminating his hands and any weapons he may have had.

Chase2b

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the replies. You are all right about the light being a less than persuasive tool. I should have mentioned that my first line of defense is a Para Ordnance .45. The light is just another tool. I do want to temporary blind the bad guys and/or identify a threat from somewhat of a distance. Some may say that a 65 lumens light is sufficient, but I believe in 'more is better'. If I can get a light that is small and "overly" bright, than why not?
Thanks also for the recommensation on the P3. I didn't know that you can have it already to go in high mode.

Last edited:

Ofelas

Enlightened
Nothing like Old Slab Sides to make an impression, that's my preferred civilian persuader as well, in Springfield Armory flavor :thumbsup:

Re reading my initial reply, I find I possibly came across as presumptious - didn't mean to!

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Why not indeed :)

In your situation i'd use a g2z (w/p61 for 120 lumens) myself, but it doesn't fit your size requirement... The L4 is a good compromise IMHO.

Depending on what you mean by "somewhat of a distance" the L4 is not exactly the king of throw. Like I said not a bad thrower, but not as good as other beams with more pronounced hotspots...

greenLED

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replies. You are all right about the light being a less than persuasive tool. I should have mentioned that my first line of defense is a Para Ordnance .45. The light is just another tool. I do want to temporary blind the bad guys and/or identify a threat from somewhat of a distance. Some may say that a 65 lumens light is sufficient, but I believe in 'more is better'. If I can get a light that is small and "overly" bright, than why not?
Thanks also for the recommensation on the P3. I didn't know that you can have it already to go in high mode.

That's good thinking. Since you're looking for something smaller than the G2, only the L4 and the e2x come to mind (the e2x's would illuminate targets farther).

I've been told reverse cliclies are not as good to have when using in conjuction with a firearm, so that's points off for the P3D. Once they offer the "tactical" switch on it, it'd be a better candidate.

Supernam

Enlightened
The light would seldom be used for anything but self defense.

Then the light would be a waste of money. Be prepared to get your *** kicked if you rely on a flashlight for self defense unless it's a Mag 3D or bigger. Here are some suggestions- Gun, knife, or bulk up at the gym.

Chase2b

Newly Enlightened
Then the light would be a waste of money. Be prepared to get your *** kicked if you rely on a flashlight for self defense unless it's a Mag 3D or bigger. Here are some suggestions- Gun, knife, or bulk up at the gym.

As I mentioned...my first line of defense is a Para .45. The light is being used in a self defense ONLY situation with the Para. In other words it will not be doing duty around the house looking for things.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Good choice with your .45 ACP.

Sadly, it seems that some think they can purchase
a really bright flashlight, for defensive situations,
which will somehow make the "bad guy" say:

"YeeeOWWWW ! That light is REALLY BRIGHT ! ! !"

"That's it. I'm scared straight !"

"Gonna' give up this life o' crime"

"Gonna' go back to school and get my G.E.D."

"Gonna' become a productive member of Society !"

But, alas, in real-life, the effect only lasts a few seconds.

:whistle:

_