3-Cree LED Light on DX - Worth it?

meuge

Enlightened
Even though I really don't have any real use for it other than the WOW factor, I've been tempted to get a high-ish output light.

I considered building a ROP... but given that I don't own a Mag, it would cost me nearly $100.

And then I ran into this light on DX:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5971

It has 3 Cree XR-E lights, wired in series, presumably, with a step-down driver... running on 4 CR123s.

I figure even at 750mAh per LED, this would be ~350lm at the emitters.

The question is - do you think this would be a worthwhile light for the "ooh-ahh" use... and if not, let me know what I should get instead. I really prefer LEDs to incads, because they require less maintenance... but I am not prejudiced either way.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
First How do you want to WOW someone? Throw or total lumens output?
I have this and I have to say that I think it could be much better. The threads were not oiled and are of poor quaility. The switch cycles through its modes with no memory of last setting(very annoying). You have no choice in batteries(no 18650s w/ this one). And I found output to be lacking. That said this could be a good base to mod from and that is what I intend to do.
If your looking for throw the "super thrower" from DX or any of its derivatives would be a better choice even though it only has 1 LED.

bspofford

Enlightened
If batteries are the issue, DX just listed an Ultrafire 3-CREE WF-500 that uses 2X18650. It is a dollar or two more than the MX Power model.:sssh:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
If batteries are the issue, DX just listed an Ultrafire 3-CREE WF-500 that uses 2X18650. It is a dollar or two more than the MX Power model.:sssh:
Yeah I just ordered this one as well. I would suggest anyone wanting a 3 led flashlight to get this new one. I can tell that this is going to be lightyears better quality wise than the MX power. The new one is exactly the same as the "super thrower" which can take 18650s and has wonderfully smooth threads. There is also more mass to the flashlight making it feel much better in the hand (also gives more heatsink).
One other thing I was let down by was the poor quality of the reflectors in the MX power. The WF-500 has much better formed plastic(no distortion).

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this and I have to say that I think it could be much better. The threads were not oiled and are of poor quaility. The switch cycles through its modes with no memory of last setting(very annoying).

I think, I may have been misunderstanding, at first, about the way the switching mechanism works. So, it sounds like if I turn it on, it will come on at high, and the next click will be off? I was originally thinking that to turn it off, I'd have to cycle through medium and strobe (or whatever else it has), but now, it seems like it has the turn off-->turn back on quickly to get to the next mode type of UI. Is that correct?

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I just ordered this one as well. I would suggest anyone wanting a 3 led flashlight to get this new one. I can tell that this is going to be lightyears better quality wise than the MX power. The new one is exactly the same as the "super thrower" which can take 18650s and has wonderfully smooth threads. There is also more mass to the flashlight making it feel much better in the hand (also gives more heatsink).
One other thing I was let down by was the poor quality of the reflectors in the MX power. The WF-500 has much better formed plastic(no distortion).

nice, post some beamshots/runtime when you get it. i'm interested myself but don't want to be the guinnea pig. :whistle::D

markone

Newly Enlightened

Do you own the MX power ?
Because i own it and it is fine, i cannot see any reflector mechanical distorsions, at all.

Looking at the SKU 7933 reflector picture, it seems to be the same of MX power but without the plastic dark mask on it.
If someone has information about the driver mounted in this new 3xCREE would be fine if place an answer to the post #87 under the 3ad :

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2177758

Bye, Marco.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think, I may have been misunderstanding, at first, about the way the switching mechanism works. So, it sounds like if I turn it on, it will come on at high, and the next click will be off? I was originally thinking that to turn it off, I'd have to cycle through medium and strobe (or whatever else it has), but now, it seems like it has the turn off-->turn back on quickly to get to the next mode type of UI. Is that correct?

It goes like this. High-off-low-off-strobe-off........
The problem is after i turn it off I don't want to have to cycle through the other levels to get back to the level I want. It should remember the last level used like most of these new multiple mode drivers do.
Its not very fun when your in the dark and using the low mode and turn your flashlight off for a second then turn it back on only to be strobed.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you own the MX power ?
Because i own it and it is fine, i cannot see any reflector mechanical distorsions, at all.

Looking at the SKU 7933 reflector picture, it seems to be the same of MX power but without the plastic dark mask on it.
If someone has information about the driver mounted in this new 3xCREE would be fine if place an answer to the post #87 under the 3ad :

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2177758

Bye, Marco.
I do have the MX power. And it does have a poorly formed reflector. If you look very closely at the pictures on DX you can see the difference. Its most notable along the ridge where the three reflectors meet. Buy the new one and you will see exactly what I'm talking about. I've bought so many flashlights at this point I'm very good at being able to tell what is quality and what is not just using the pictures.
So why you ask did I waste my money on the MX power. Well... that was before I knew I had the WF 500 as an option. Also I really like the look of the MX. If I had it to do all over again I would not.:shrug:

corbin

Newly Enlightened
There is a thread on the light here; https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/174921

I am too thinking about ordering it, although I seem to waiting for the reviews of this https://www.kaidomain.com//WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3162 to come in first.

I just heard that the 3162 were full ordered by people :mad:
It is a pity, but what makes me happy again is i just had 3161 on hand , it is work fine also :nana:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It goes like this. High-off-low-off-strobe-off........
The problem is after i turn it off I don't want to have to cycle through the other levels to get back to the level I want. It should remember the last level used like most of these new multiple mode drivers do.
Its not very fun when your in the dark and using the low mode and turn your flashlight off for a second then turn it back on only to be strobed.

Ok, but after it remains off for a while (minutes, let's say), does it automatically come on at high, or does it come at the next function?

katsyonak

Enlightened
It comes on in the next function.:thumbsdow Trust me its a complete beating.
Yes it does. For me this is the most annoying thing on this flashlight. I always have to remember to turn it off on strobe so It'll come back on high next time I want to use it.