Are Malkoff d Mag dropins worth the $$$ ?

ICspots

Newly Enlightened
Well I have been wanting one since someone suggested it and at $65 I thought it was a bit steep. Gene is currently sold out but should have more around the 12th or so according to his email. His website still says sold out but the price is now $75. I am still interested even at that price but wanted some input from you Flashoholics here, is it still worth it? I know you get what you pay for and also understand Gene having to raise his prices, but I can buy a new light for that money, what do you guys think?

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the mag drop-ins and two of the P60's. They are worth it.
The magdropin really increases the hrow of the Mag to pretty incredible level.
The P60s gave my old G2 new life, and turned my 6PD into the perfect "city light"

racer7

Newly Enlightened
"Worth" is a very subjective subject.
However, there is one thing for which there is no doubt- Gene's drop ins for the mag are as good as drop ins get right now. You won't get more light or better reliability from others - his are well ahead of the Terralux type, for example, as they should be given the $ diff.
I use them as "in vehicle" lights knowing that I'll have long run time and plenty of light for almost all activities. The drop ins perform on a par with Gene's complete conversion lights (that he no longer sells) that I also have.
Racer7

JamisonM

Enlightened
As others have said; yes, they are worth the price. That's my opinion anyway. Really, it depends. What are you looking for in it and how will you use it? Other then that, I think the only thing that could make them any better would be multiple output settings. Out of two output levels I'd like to see a low of around 10 lumens. That's still pretty bright and I'm sure others would want and even lower low, but either way the runtime would be great. Something else you could consider is how much it would cost you to make something similar. For those of us that don't even have a soldering gun nor the experience of it's use, the price is respectable. Now, if you were lucky enough to get one during the $65 sale; it think it's safe to say you got a bargain.

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely YES!!! They're worth every penny. I already have one of the older copper-strap models - I'm hoping to get one of the newer models too.

ICspots

Newly Enlightened
Well I guess with the 30 day money back guarantee one can't go wrong. I know metal is still pretty high right now which helps justify the the extra cost, man those heatsink's look like beasts! I'll end up getting one if he doesn't run out too quickly, hopefully the new $75 price tag will help me in that sense.
As for me posting in the wrong subforum here, sorry......I get freaking lost in here there are so many subforums. I started to post in the LED section, then thought this would be better, I'll try and learn. And thanks for the replies guys!!!

Gene43

Enlightened
The way I do things is either you are happy with the purchase or I will refund it or replace it.

Thanks, Gene Malkoff

ICspots

Newly Enlightened
The way I do things is either you are happy with the purchase or I will refund it or replace it.

Thanks, Gene Malkoff

Thanks for the reply Gene, I'll be ordering one if I can get in quick enough. After thinking about it some more it will be like getting a new light, just using an older pretty durable case for it.

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
I ordered both a flood and a throw. Between the two I like the flood much better. Probably will hit Gene up for another stippled reflector soon. Both are great for different uses...highly recomended.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one. It's probably the most expensive light I own. I use it pretty much every night and have never felt that buying it was a mistake.

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
I can only comment on the P60 drop-ins. They are worth the money. The difference is nothing short of astounding. You will be giggling like a kid the first time you fire it up.

ICspots

Newly Enlightened
Price is down to $69 from $75. At this point I don't care what the price is, I care when it will change from "sold out" to "order now"!!!:twothumbs

ExZeRoEx

Enlightened
I'm just curious, how do you install these. I think I read something about jamming it in with a pipe? ??

Latest posts