D-mini + Q5 + 5 mode driver! A guide.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
D-mini + CREE R2 + MM Driver. A guide.

There has been some requests for a guide doing this "simple" mod recently. I use the 1000 mA AMC7135 five mode Pic driver available from several HK webshops. It is simple for those who have been modding for a while, but it does require some patience and exact planning to get it right. And basic soldering skills. I use No. clean lead free solder and liquid flux for electronics, that's why the joints sometimes look dull. It's easier to use normal 60/40 solder and rosin solder paste.

This driver works best with one LiION cell. It will deliver light with one CR123 primary, only very little light.

What you need, one cut down Q5, one driver, some teflon wire and solder.
dminimod1.jpg

Use a small drill bit and make two holes in the plastic cover by twirling the drill bit between your fingers. Remove the aluminium tabs holding the cover. Lift the cover with something like the bent paper clips in the picture.
dminimod2.jpg

Desolder the connections on the star.
dminimod3.jpg

Start preparing the driver leads, presolder the connections on the driver and trim the leads. Then solder the leads to the driver. It pays to use a solder station and high temp for quick and efficient solder points.
dminimod4.jpg

Push the desoldered leads from the stock driver down into the pill, use a small screwdriver and find the ledge of the contact ring surrounding the driver, tap the driver out of the pill. Sometimes the original star overlap the holes in the pill, then you can put the pill in your vise and use the same screwdriver and tap the star out with a hammer. If not I twist it out with a pair of pliers
dminimod5.jpg

Desolder the stock driver from the contact ring. Use some solder wick to suck up the solder on the ring.
dminimod6.jpg

Solder the new driver to the ring with a few points around the circumference.
dminimod7.jpg

Push the driver with the contact ring back into the pill, on the D-mini I use a pair of needlenose pliers and on Tiablos or MRV I use a hammer and a piece of wood.
dminimod8b.jpg

Mix some of your favourite thermal epoxy to go under the new star. Install the star with epoxy under it into the pill (while observing that the correct lead reaches the correct contact on the star) and then use the head & reflector to find the correct centering. Finding the correct centering will take a few tries. And don't use too much epoxy under the star, it needs to be a thin layer. Let it set overnight when centered.
dminimod8.jpg

Time to solder the leads to the star. Presoldering the contacts on the star and the leads will make things easier. High temp soldering will also make it easier
dminimod9.jpg

I don't bother with the stock covers. Thin plastic from eg. microwave dinner boxes work well. I use a 7 mm punch for the emitter hole.
dminimod10.jpg

This is the result. Up from 7800 Lux to 13 000 Lux in throw @ one metre.
dminimod11.jpg

This mod does take some patience and planning, but it's not difficult to do.

I have installed a UCL type lens with AR coating on both surfaces since beginning this mod. This upped the throw Lux @ one metre from ~13 000 Lux to 14 700 Lux.

Runtime on high. BatteryStation RCR123. Throw Lux 14 700 @ 0 minutes.
Highruntime.jpg

Runtime on medium. BatteryStation RCR123. Throw Lux 4600 @ 0 minutes.
Mediumruntime.jpg

Runtimes are considerably longer on low & medium level, it's also better regulated on low & medium. But the circuit is dependant on the cell for regulation. On high it's very bright for the first 20 minutes. 52 minutes to 50%. The stock D-mini driver runs regulated for 25 minutes on RCR123 LiION and then shuts off completely. With this driver and a new led my D-mini is as bright as the stock light at 50 minutes.

Stefan

Update 2008-07-16

I decided that I had to modernize my edc d-mini to it's limits. That means an efficient driver (eg. DX SKU: 7882. Others also carry this product.) I also used a new star mounted CREE R2 WG led.

D-mini001.jpg

Removing the old stuff from the light engine

D-mini002.jpg

Fixing the new star with AA epoxy and centering it with the plastic cover.

D-mini003.jpg

Preparing the driver with emitter leads and a copper wire for ground soldered to a hole in the ring around the driver. The ground wire replaces the brass contact ring for battery negative.

D-mini004.jpg

Driver leads soldered to the new star. I always use long emitter wires in case of future led upgrades.

D-mini005.jpg

The ground wire is wrapped around the light engine. A simple solution. Since the board with the led is thinner I wrapped a few extra turns of thin copper wire around the light engine/pill where the ground wire is in this pic to get the emitter to the correct height. That differs a bit with different D-minis, some need adjustment for focus and some don't.

D-mini006.jpg

The driver sunk into the light engine/led pill. Awaiting epoxy.

D-mini007.jpg

Potted/epoxied into the pill. It's very important to keep the variable resistor clear of epoxy since you want to use that to tune the drivers output.

D-mini008.jpg

That's it. It now throws ~24 000 lux on high. That's like a Raidfire Spear in your pocket . However, at that level you will get very short runtimes. I'll use it with high set to somewhere around 10-12 000 lux in throw to get good runtimes on one rehargeable RCR123 or primary CR123. Output is about the same on both RCR 123 or primary CR123.

D-mini009.jpg

Stefan

Last edited:

Scattergun

Enlightened
Aaaaw maaan!!!:shakehead Now I´ll have to disassemble my D-Minis!!!

Great tutorial!!!:thumbsup:

vetkaw63

Enlightened
What is the run time on high with your Q5 and AMC7135? What was the stock run time ?
I have used this board with an 18650 but I have been hesitant to use it with an rcr123. I am afraid of the higher forward voltage of the Q5 combined with the voltage drop across this board. I thought that it might only current regulate for about 10 minutes. Have you had any such problems or issues?
Thanks,
Mike

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know I was just thinking "there's been no tutorials for ages", and then I found this.
Very nice.
Thanks

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the run time on high with your Q5 and AMC7135? What was the stock run time ?
I have used this board with an 18650 but I have been hesitant to use it with an rcr123. I am afraid of the higher forward voltage of the Q5 combined with the voltage drop across this board. I thought that it might only current regulate for about 10 minutes. Have you had any such problems or issues?
Thanks,
Mike

I updated the first post with a runtime on high. CREE seems to be working on the forward voltage problem. My latest batch of Q5 are all ~3.55 Volt @ 1 A. I tested this particular Q5 to be 3.56 Volt at about 1 A. Others are also reporting lower vf values for recent Q5 emitters. I think runtimes are very good with this driver in a D-mini, it's not perfectly regulated but it performs very well.

Stefan

vetkaw63

Enlightened
Thanks StefanFS,
Thats very reassuring results. I will be ordering a couple for RCR123 lights.
This tutorial was very helpful.
Mike

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks StefanFS,
Thats very reassuring results. I will be ordering a couple for RCR123 lights.
This tutorial was very helpful.
Mike

Thanks,
I'm not sure if you mean Q5 or drivers, but I recommend both. I'm working on a runtime on medium level with one RCR123 since I'm curious myself about the actual runtime.
Stefan

vetkaw63

Enlightened
Stefan,
Actually I have some Q4's so, I will use those. I used 1 in a jet beam and it was no brighter. I figured it was because of the forward voltage issue. I was afraid to use the AMC7135 drivers with the Q4's in an RCR123 light. I thought the runtime might suffer from the forward voltage issue. Your runtime is way better than the 25 minutes that I get now.
Thanks,
Mike

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just saw this thread - very well done Stefan! :thumbsup:

Good to see this kind of step-by-step mod being posted here. I've been meaning to do exactly the same thing to my original D-mini, now that I have the new digital version to compare it to. But frankly, I just haven't had the time to do any modding in awhile (and usually just stick with simpler emitter swaps when I do). But I've got at least half a dozen AMC 7135 stockpiled, waiting to be put to use! :laughing:

I've bookmarked this one for future reference, and will make sure to direct people here who are curious to give it a try.
:twothumbs

P.S.: Good idea about the microwave dinner plastic cover, should withstand heat well. I usually just use some kapton tape to cover the contacts, and cover it all with one of Kai's shiny adhesive discs for Cree emitters.

Ganp

Enlightened
:goodjob: Excellent tutorial on a very worthwhile mod' Stefan.

What is the tint like from the new led ... any beamshots?

Colin.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ganp,
The tint is a good WG, very creamy white. That particular light has a new owner, I don't have it any longer and I never did any beamshots with it. I still have it's black twin which I use everyday, and the beam is very close to the one in this tutorial. Here are some beamshots with that identical D-mini mod.

Selfbuilt,
I used a plastic disc to protect the emitter from possible pressure from the reflector etc. in case of free fall incidents terminating in a hard surface. Some time ago I saw high temp tape (kapton type) sold by one of the largest electronics distributors for the nordic area, ~$145 for a 33 meter roll! When I saw that I felt satisfied that such products are available for $3-$5 in other venues.
Stefan

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks for all of your helpful and instructive threads Stefan. You've inspired me to attempt the 7135 mod. I do want to make sure that I get the right parts to begin with though. Can you recommend a source for the Q5WG and 7135 driver.

If that goes successfully, I'd like to give one of my MRVs a boost and will need guidance on a driver for that as well.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all of your helpful and instructive threads Stefan. You've inspired me to attempt the 7135 mod. I do want to make sure that I get the right parts to begin with though. Can you recommend a source for the Q5WG and 7135 driver.

If that goes successfully, I'd like to give one of my MRVs a boost and will need guidance on a driver for that as well.

You're welcome.
I got the hardware from DX. There's a nice 3 level 1.2A driver at KaiDomain. Modding is fun!:twothumbs
Stefan