Why so little talk about the Surefire E1L Cree?

sbebenelli

Enlightened
It seems I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about this light. Why is that? Because it's not much smaller than the L1? I have the L1 Cree and E2L Cree and think I need the E1L. Why shouldn't I buy it?

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, everyone's different, so I can only speak to my personal preferences. I chose the L1 over the E1L for a few reasons. First, as you said, the L1 is only a "little" bigger than the E1L. So you get two stage functionality for a marginal size gain. Also, the L1 gives the option of a much brighter high. The second reason is the balance and form of the L1 over the E1L. The E1L is a bit front-heavy for my taste. The L1 is balanced and has a great tailcap, not to mention more reliable.

piney12

Newly Enlightened
You should buy it!:crackup:

I have one with 10 minutes on it that I am selling on Ebay right now. Just do a search for "Surefire E1L Cree
w/Lanyard." Free shipping in Conus as well.

Mine is just excess to my needs. Nice flashlight.

Joe
piney12

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree 100% with Valpo Hawkeye. I like the little bit of extra length, and higher output. I have come to really like the 2 level lights with a nice low, and bright high. The only two exceptions I can think of so far are my U2 and 120P. I like the L1 so much, that I have a second Milky modded L1 on its way to me as we speak. I also bought another stock CREE L1 from Valpo Hawkeye yesterday. My vote would be for the L1.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I personally don't like the e1x for 2 reasons:
- no 2 stages
- too small for my hands

OTOH, I love the L1.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
The only reason I don't have one is that I have a Milky L1 and a E2L Cree. If I were to buy another.....it would be the L1 Cree, you can't beat the 2 stage lighting and the fit in hand is better than the E1L Cree.

Bill

jspalmer

Newly Enlightened
I have the E1L Cree and the L1. They're both fantastic. I use the E1L more because I can clip it on the bill of my hat and go hands free. Its lighter weight makes it more comfortable for that application. Its power is more than adequate, I couldn't be more pleased with it. Its one of those lights that seems much brighter than its rated. Of course, the L1 has its own unique virtues, but they didn't elimiate the need for E1L in my collection.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
the E1L, it jsut keeps on trucking on the same battery. what's the old saying? no news is good news?

I got a KX1 head and built an E1L for my Dad. it's a kick-@#$ little light. I may get another one for myself.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone seen any runtime tests on the E1L cree? Surefire states 30 lumens for 10 hours but I have read its more like 30 lumens for 5 hours and then the output starts to decrease for the remaining 5 hours.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I was appealed to the E1L at first, I meant to get that over L1 and E2L. But I ended up with the L1. I would like to se some comparsion beamshots outside between the L1 and E1L. And It would be nice with a runtime chart too.

I like the "click on" on the E1L, more than the L1 twist on, but theres no good way to make low-high as easy as with the L1!

DesertFox

Newly Enlightened
I have an E1L and really like it. It is small enough that I EDC it now, and really bright. I do find the spot a little too tight for some everyday uses. And like one of the other posters said, it is light enough to clip onto a hat and use as a headlamp, which has been helpful a few times.

To be honest, when I went to the store, I was looking for an L1, but they were out of them so I bought the E1L (flashaholic DTs are miserable). Still on the first battery after five or six weeks of pretty steady use.

I plan to get the L1 too, as soon as the wife starts talking to me again.:naughty:

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
I chose the E1L - stashed it in the car for "you-never-know" situations while travelling. 2 spare batteries in a waterproof match case and I'm good to go for many hours of light.

Chose it over the E2L for size and chose it over the L1 for better brightness-runtime ratio. For this use, I don't need a 2-stage light.

For EDC, I would suggest the L1. But I use the Novatac for EDC + Kai's 3aaa SSC light.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Does someone with both L1 and E1L want to take some outside beamshots? Pritty please! :kiss: