surefire z58 gets stuck ON

liqht

Newly Enlightened
i just got a new z58 tailcap from opticsplanet.com

the very same day i got it, it started getting stuck in the ON position.
maybe i was a little too click-happy because this was the last part i needed to finish a new light. but still.

can i fix this switch myself, or do i have to send it to surefire?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, that's how the Z57's, Z61's and Z58's usually break, in the "ON" position. Email Sure-Fire for a warranty replacement.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Call, not email, Surefire for a warranty replacement.

2) I had three SF tailcaps fail, two clickies, one twisty, with sticking in the on position. SF naturally sent replacements for all of them without wanting the failed ones, but ALL three currently work completely, though I am not entirely sure why in the case of the clickies (the twisty required some physical help). I took my Z59 apart; I don't understand how it can get stuck -- it's a pretty good design that should simply work. I cleaned it, put it back together, and it works now normally. My SW02 got stuck badly, and is difficult to take apart. When I got the replacement, I got bold and just sprayed some "Break Free" into it. Did not help immediately, so I forgot it for some time. But it works now, a few weeks later.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised the SW02 got stuck since it has the same guts as the Z48/Z49's. I've never heard of one of them failing and I've never had a problem with them either. I guess anything mechanical can break though. My personal opinion is that the Z58/Z59 and Z57/Z61 are a poor design. I did take a stuck Z61 apart once after receiving the replacement. It took about an hour of time, alot of clicks and some Breakfree CLP, but it did work fine after putting it back together. Though the tailcap ring was a little scraped. But I could never fully trust it again.

liqht

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys, i will give surefire a call.
if they don't want the busted one, i'm going to dissect it.

it would be nice if a mcclicky could be made to work in this tailcap.