U2 Ultra, Still a Contender?

jspalmer

Newly Enlightened
In this new age of the LED horsepower and feature race, where does the U2 fall among the competition, and does anyone know if Surefire has a Cree update in the wings?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several forum members still regard the U2 as cutting edge. For the majority of flashlight users, not just CPF members, the U2 is more than they could ask for in a light. I think SureFire is in the process of updating it as well as thier other high power LEDs, but are focusing on longer runtime offerings like the E2L first.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire U2 is not the brightest, does not have the longest runtime, does not throw the farthest, but I consider it the BEST all around flashlight that is built very well and has a great feel to it. YES it is still a CONTENDER!!!:thumbsup:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eight Fenix flashlights could not convince me that my old U2 is outdated.

Yes, U2 is still a contender because of its unsurpassed U.I. and the wide powerful beam.

:twothumbs

who

Newly Enlightened
The U2 variable output is still unique as before. The latest bin will easily put out 120 lumens, and the Lux V beam is unbeatable (some Seoul does come close, however).

Krahl

Newly Enlightened
I think the concept of the U2 is the best. Why I never bought one is because I often read about switch issues and donought holes which I can`t accept on a light this expensive.
I hope surefire will bring out a new edition with the latest LED technology and solved issues.

I wonder why no other manufacturer copied this excellent way of changing brightness levels?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
you wont see me getting rid of mine anytime soon, its my nightstand "bump in the night" type light, but i also carry it if i know i am going to be out at night

there isnt much between the my Novatac 120P and my U2 on high
i think the beam from the U2 is a bit wider and a little brighter
oh and it has double the runtime on high too - but the 120p does have 20something levels and is pretty small

the U2 works wondefully as a Beltpouch/bag/jacket light
or as a large EDC light

keep in mind though that i havent really used much in the way of new Cree, Seoul and Rebel lights, so YMMV

edit - one last thing, mine is one of the early ones with the glued in sleeve which has been removed and it has an 18650 in it now

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though I don't EDC(I EDC an L1 and 120P) my U2, it is my favorite of the 5 Surefire lights I own. It is my go to light. I use it around the house at night. I grab it to look for things in dark places. I use it for night time walks. While my 120P leans towards a warmer tint, the U2 is just a bright creamy white. The U2 also beats out the 120P in the ceiling bounce test. It visually illuminates my small office closet with a white ceiling brighter than the 120P. I also love the simplicity of the UI on my U2. Simply twist the ring under the bezel for six different levels of brightness. I love the switch on the U2 also. Half press for momentary on. Full press and click for constant on. When you hold it in your hand, you can feel real substance. The knurling just grabs your hand like velcro. Its size and form factor are perfect, and just balances in your hand like a fine tuned piece of hardware. I cannot think of anything that I don't like about my U2.

Above, I said that my U2 is my favorite of the 4 Surefire lights I own. Now that I think about it, I must admit that it is my favorite light out of all the lights I own....And I have several nice lights.

This light is still a MAJOR contender, and stands very well on its own merits as an all round useful light....

And, like my friend Scott above me....My U2 will not be going anywhere....

Last edited:

NickDrak

Enlightened
I have owned my U2 for the past 3+ years, and if I lost mine tomorrow, there is no other light currently on the market that could come close to replacing it. I would order another U2 without hesitation.

As others mentioned, the U2 is not the brightest, and it doesnt have the longest run-times, but its overall utility is unmatched, and that is what puts it over the top of the latest & greatest lights to hit the market recently.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
U2 is an amazing light. Great flood and surprisingly powerful throw. Plus, everything everyone else has said about it... good UI, it's black, etc.

One thing I'm not too wild about is that when your CR123s go flat, the light suddenly dies. Don't know how it behaves on an 18650 though......

ja10

Enlightened
U2 is an amazing light. Great flood and surprisingly powerful throw. Plus, everything everyone else has said about it... good UI, it's black, etc.

One thing I'm not too wild about is that when your CR123s go flat, the light suddenly dies. Don't know how it behaves on an 18650 though......

On an 18650, my U2 drops down in levels. After a while, it goes 1-2-3-4-5-5, and then to 1-2-3-4-4-4. Soon after that it dies.

In regards to the initial post, the U2 is a nearly perfect all around light. I think the only major thing that holds people back is the price - well, that and waiting for a new version. The Lux V is more than capable though, and I think it will remain a favorite for a long time.

GreySave

Enlightened
I have to agree with everyone's comments. The selectable while turned off variable output is wonderful to have. Choose what you need before activating the light. The lowest setting provides a surprising amount of light with a tremendous runtime, and the other levels are easily and quickly accessable if needed. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I just spent a week in the Catskills and did a lot of night walking. I found that the tint, variable output, and beam pattern of the U2 was the most useful to me out of the several lights I had taken along.

jspalmer

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all very much! I've been thinking about a U2 since they came out and based on your feedback, I will be ordering one tomorrow - can't wait to get it. Look forward to enjoying it as much as you guys have. Thanks again.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a U2, it's a great light, but recently I use my HDS U60 more -- it's modified by Milkyspit with an SSC emitter for about 120 lumens, about equal to a Novatac 120P.

My U2 has a Leef body so uses an 18650 cell, which is great because it's rechargeable. But my modified U60 has roughly the same output, albeit for a shorter run time. But mostly you don't need full output all the time.

The smaller size of the HDS/Novatac, more output levels, and much dimmer low level (a U2 weakness) are advantages.

They are both superb lights, but the U2 is expensive, and if you want 18650 capability that adds yet more cost.