3xAMC7135 Board Considerations

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings all...

I received that board from KaiDomain with the purpose of upgrading a Huntlight FT-01 Luxeon III module. But before finding some remarks on it in a CPF thread:
It is about running it with 6V and the heat it emits, turning excess voltage to heat.

Actually I do not mind…this module is a spare defective one and for the cost of materials I will gain my first extensive mod experience/

With that taken under consideration, I wish to make it as useful as possible. So I got 2 questions

1. Heat issues. The FT-01 module contacts the flashlight body at its base so heat transfer may be a little bit better. Now, since changing the PCB leaves more room inside the pill is it useful to drown the area in thermal epoxy? (making conducting heat to the aluminum reflector body easier?

2. This PCB is made for rechargeable Li-Ion voltage. What will I gain if I use partially depleted batteries? 2xCR123 at 5.2V volts total? Will I get worthwhile runtime or are such batteries too worn to give useful work?

BTW this flashlights role to be supplemental to my EDC (travel or work bag) or to a Surefire C3/P91 – headlamp combo.

zelda

Enlightened
Before Q. 1. & 2 :

6 Volt Input is too much for this kind of regulator.

If Vf of the led is 3.5V @ 1 amp ==> 2.5 Volt X 1 amp = 2.5 W heat.

zelda

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used quite a lot of drivers based on 3 x AMC7135. They start to get hot when you go over 4.5 volt. It's ok to use it with three alkaline, 3 NiMH or one LiION cell.
Stefan