3AA Maglite LED gets really warm!

flashlightfreak

Newly Enlightened
I just got the 3AA maglite led i own the 2AA and the 3D version and this is the only one that gets really warm. Is it because the extra battery gives it more power? Has anyone else had this issue? and is this normal?

Thank you,

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the 3AA maglite led i own the 2AA and the 3D version and this is the only one that gets really warm. Is it because the extra battery gives it more power? Has anyone else had this issue? and is this normal?

Thank you,

I dunno, I used my 3AA MiniMag LED in candle mode under the kitchen counter while I was repairing corroded washers under the sink. Had it burning for almost a solid hour and it didn't seem to get too hot. Maybe it's cuz I had the head off. I don't think it gets uneccessarily hot, but it does get warm.

Glock40

Newly Enlightened
I had mine on for over an hour during a power outage. The head was slightly warm but not overly.

Illum

Flashaholic
considering the internal components that mount the LED are plastic...I dont see any real means of thermal dissiation the light could have without disassembly.

I was getting worried after awhile that my light wasn't even warm after 30 minutes I was fearing that the LED will live a short life before cooking itself to death. but considering the fact that I've used surefires for so long my hands are probably dulled in terms of sensing heat

if your light feels warm, especially around the bezel, its actually a good thing ;)
if its closer to the battery compartment, watch for leaks:caution:

flashlightfreak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the replies. I feel better now knowing I don't have a defective product that will melt batteries. It feels warm around the bezel so as long as the batteries are not leaking i guess it's all good.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
If it's stock and the bezel is really warm then I'd be worried too. As stated earlier on many threads there is no real way for heat to get out of a stock Mag because of all that plastic between emitter and body. If the bezel is really warm, then it stands to reason that the LED is cooking its self to death for much heat to get out to your hand...... Just my thoughts!

Latest posts