• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FINISHED (after shipping) Min-T CNC Bike Light

dom

Enlightened
Hi Guys

Myself,Ktronik and Darell have all played a part in getting this light off the ground.

"min-T" stands for mini triple -which is the type of optic used in these lightweight,versatile bike lights.
The optic is either a 10deg spot or 25deg flood at the moment.
Up to 1A current can be pumped into the LEDs -which will in turn throw out many Lumens (we'll say over 400 so no-one will argue:D)

These initial min-T's will be using the Seoul LED , SVO warm white emitter from PhotonFanatic and bFlex driver.
Will have user adjustable voltage warning LED showing through the back cover and also user adjustable thermal protection for those really slow hot days.

The bFlex provides multi levels of light with user adjustable current and modes and also strobe mode and you need at least a 14.8V battery to run them properly.

After many months of work and testing we have some min-T bike lights on the go and would like to offer either DIY kits or built-up complete heads.

There are 15 on the go and this lot will be engraved on the back with your name or whatever (within the confines of the rear cover).

1101824157_af1b460b5e_o.jpg

1532095165_ea2ba6c3bb_o.jpg

The picture above is showing the versatility of the mounts -which can swivel any which way and be affixed to virtually any part of your bike or helmet.
Also shown is the remote switch which is offered separate and also a Plasti-dipped and velcroed battery -which also can be placed anywhere easily on your bike.

This is an "expression of interest" thread and you are under no obligation to purchase if you have second thoughts -as Ktronik,Darell or I will gladly keep them ALL to ourselves:nana:

All right -to the nitty-gritty.

Shell Kit: Incudes : bare head.optic of your choice,driver holder and switch holder,switch,full mount kit. US$180 & $10 P&H

Complete Head Kit: Comes with everything except battery or remote switch ,programmed to your spec. All needed connectors provided (battery,charging,remote) connectors are Deans and mini-Deans.
US$350 & $10 P&H.
You would have to specify how you want the input wiring sorted.

Remote min-T Switch: US $10 if bought with either kit.

OK - i think that is all for the moment
Here is a link to the thread from when we started the min-T
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=172053

PS -the pics above are only prototypes -will provide pics of finished version this weekend -only a few slight changes:devil:

++++++++++++++++++++
1688742593_4a60824ea0_o.jpg

OK Folks Time to confirm you interest and what you want exactly.Please include what you would like written on the back cover -or PM/email that info.

Will update what you want next to your name and also shipped/paid status as we go on.

Spare Part List:

o-rings FRONT OR REAR $0.50 each
Large Deans plugs (pair) Power $3.00
Small Deans plugs (pair) Remote $2.00
10 or 25deg optic $6.00
350mm length 4.5mm mount rubber $2.00
350mm length 4.0mm remote rubber $2.00
Remote switch assembled (no shrinkwrap or plug) $20.00
Swivel mount complete
(includes ball and M4 SS grubscrew) $30.00
Extension Cord $10.00

Here is an example of what i cobbled together for my wiring.
My setup is on the bar with the battery mounted to the stem -so only short wiring is needed.

Ktronik will be doing all the electronic/wiring work
Your needs may differ.You just need to state them.

For eg. If you intend to use as helmet mounted you will need an extension cord -unless you want a long wire hardwired.You also may want the remote wire hardwired.
That is if you have an aversion to plugs:)

Had this sitting in a bucket of water for 3hrs with no leaks.
1703916205_e631f7834c_o.jpg

Should you need an extension cord Ktronik will make these to suit as he has more experience with the use of them.

Black sealing Sikaflex will be used on all joints -not the white shown on the build-up pix.

Polarity for the (large power) Deans plugs
1774394115_3fb800bca2_o.jpg

If you are looking for batteries -there are a couple of ways to go.
There is a good range in the US
Lithium-ion are lightweight -these use 18650 type LG batteries.

This is a 2+ hr runtime battery pack (at 1A) and 1.5A charger
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2003
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2488

If you had varied ride times you could use 2 of these packs -1 pack for shorter rides -2 pack with "Y" parallel cable for 4+ hr rides.

Or you could just get a 14.8V 4.8Ah (or more) and same charger.
Browse the site for different combos and bargains.

This place also has similar type batteries and chargers
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=290

These are just examples.

Should you order a built-up head -these have to be prepaid and they shall be completed within 2 weeks of Ktronik receiving them to work his magic and send them to you.
Machining on most, if not all will be complete this weekend -so Ktronik will be getting them Tuesday next week or close.

Should you only want the shell kit -these can be paid on the day they are sent -not before please.

Feel free to ask any questions:)

PM or email me for payment details please.
PP cash or PP CC add 3% -other payment options could be worked out.
All payments will stay in account till notice has been received of delivery of goods.

Interested Parties List:

1. TranquilityBase - Full Kit + Name + Wired as per pic PAID SHIPPED RECEIVED
2. PhotonFanatic - Full Kit 25deg + Name + 18" Power Extension + Optic + Wired as per pic PAID SHIPPED RECEIVED
3. Hendrik -Full Kit + Remote + Optic + 2 Small Power Deans + 120cm Remote & Power Ext Small Deans + o-rings (1 each) + 4.5mm Rubber + Name + Wired Small Deans PAID SHIPPED RECEIVED
4. Royce -Shell Kit - 2 Remotes + 3 off each o'rings + 3 Large Deans + 3 Small Remote Deans + 1 Each Rubbers + 2 Power Ext 60cm & 50cm+Name PAID SHIPPED RECEIVED
5. Royce -Shell Kit PAID SHIPPED RECEIVED
6. RGB_LED -Full Kit 25deg + Remote 11" + 2' Ext + Large Deans + 4.0 & 4.5mm Rubber + 2 X 14.8V2.4Ah PlastDipped and Velcroed Batts + Charger 1.5A + Parallel "Y" Cable PAID SHIPPED RECEIVED
7. HJW -Shell Kit + 2 Remote 20" wire+ Name PAID SHIPPED RECEIVED
8. HJW -Shell Kit + 2 Remote 10" wire+ Name PAID SHIPPED RECEIVED
9. MattP - Shell Kit + Remote + Optic + Name PAID SHIPPED RECEIVED
10. Amorphous -Full Kit + Remote + 2ft Power Ext + 2 types 0-ring + Extra Mount Kit + Optic + Wired as per pic + Name PAID SHIPPED
11. Chelly -Full kit + Remote + 4 Deans(2 sets each type) +5 o-rings + Optic + Name + Wired as per pic PAID SHIPPED
12. Hendo -Full Kit 25deg + Remote + 3 o-rings + 4 Deans(2 sets each type) + 4.0 & 4.5mm Rubber + Wired as per instruction PAID SHIPPED RECEIVED
13. Andy -Full Kit + Remote + Name + Wired as per pic PAID SHIPPED
14. Gunnar -Full Kit 25deg + Remote + 2 front o-rings 1 rear + 2 Big Deans 1 type each Small Deans + 4.0 & 4.5mm Rubber + 10deg optic +110cm Power Ext + Some Wire and Shrinkwrap + Name PAID SHIPPED RECEIVED
15. Jesse(WhiteLight) Full Kit 25deg + Remote + Optic + Wired as per pic + Name PAID SHIPPED

Back Up List -
1.Darell - the works:DSHIPPED RECEIVED
2. Boco
3. TOMTEC
4. Karl
5. merkaba

Thanks for looking
Cheers
Dom

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: EOI: min-T CNC Bike Light

Interested

I'd like the completed version, with the remote switch.

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dom, Ktronik and Darell,

Great work on this project. Looks awesome.

I am interested in a complete kit.

Have a couple of questions:

1) What is the remote switch and how does it operate?
2) Can this be EN plated, i.e., is there some tolerance for that allowed in the machining?

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic

This is absolutely gorgeous. Now make this with primary CR123 as a self-cotained unit ... and I'll kiss your feet. :D

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Yes. Mostly urban tasks ... getting home from the bar :D
Besides ... on 3x123 or even 6x123 you can go a long way ... right now I am using a SF U2 on high ... which isn't great, but ok. On 2x123.
bernie

SurfHenk

Newly Enlightened

Hello again Dom,

Congratulations on finishing your great project!!

As already expressed by email, I am absolutely interested in a unit, so please put me on the list.
I have some very detailed (but als very minor) questions which I will discuss with you by email when finalising my order.
My more general questions are:
1. What are the exact differences between the two versions, is it correct that the only extras of the assembled kit are the Seoul Led's and the time and effort of the assembly itself? And does the non-assembled kit come with all necessary hardware (wires, connectors,...)
2. Is it possible to buy a light that, even thoug fitted with for example Seouls, is compatible with both Seouls and Crees?
3.Could the min-T also be fitted with a maxflex driver? Looking at the dimensions, the diameter of the maxflex is somewhat smaller so that looks OK. I am aware of the advantages of buck versus boost circuits, but as I have other systems and a very good charger for 7.2V, I would like to explore the use of a maxflex driver. Looking at the specs of this driver, it should easily be able to drive the 3 Led's from a 7.2V battery.
I am also aware that for now, the UIB2 interface is not available for the maxflex, but I could live with the normal interface.
Even if fitting a maxflex would turn out not be possible, I remain interested in a set.

Thank you in advance,
Hendrik

ktronik

Enlightened

Dom, Ktronik and Darell,

Great work on this project. Looks awesome.

I am interested in one.

Have a couple of questions:

1) What is the remote switch and how does it operate?
2) Can this be EN plated, i.e., is there some tolerance for that allowed in the machining?

its a mom switch with (N.O) contacts...

its just another switch that does the same as the main switch, its so you don't have to take a hand off the bar to switch light levels...

Dom will offer a remote switch for the bar / head for the min-t units.

1514376553_3cb3f44916_o.jpg

Dom said:

$10 extra for the remote if bought with a kit - else it is $20 by itself just with wires -no plug or shrinkwrap.

the last light had no tolerance, but this one should be OK... but dom should confirm this...

K

ktronik

Enlightened

Hello again Dom,

Congratulations on finishing your great project!!

As already expressed by email, I am absolutely interested in a unit, so please put me on the list.
I have some very detailed (but als very minor) questions which I will discuss with you by email when finalising my order.
My more general questions are:
1. What are the exact differences between the two versions, is it correct that the only extras of the assembled kit are the Seoul Led's and the time and effort of the assembly itself? And does the non-assembled kit come with all necessary hardware (wires, connectors,...)

Old version would take stars / emitter in cree or seoul.
New version, for now takes ONLY seoul emitters.

Shell Kit: Includes : bare head.optic of your choice, driver HOLDER and switch holder,switch,full mount kit (no wires or connectors)
You need LEDs, driver & wire / heatsrink + your time.

Shell Kit: Incudes : bare head.optic of your choice,driver and switch holder,switch,full mount kit. US$180 & $10 P&H

Complete Head Kit: Comes with everything except battery or remote switch ,programmed to your spec. All needed connectors provided (battery,charging,remote) connectors are Deans and mini-Deans.
US$350 & $10 P&H.
You would have to specify how you want the input wiring sorted.

Remote min-T Switch: US $10 if bought with either kit.
2. Is it possible to buy a light that, even thoug fitted with for example Seouls, is compatible with both Seouls and Crees?

NO, seoul only for now.
3.Could the min-T also be fitted with a maxflex driver? Looking at the dimensions, the diameter of the maxflex is somewhat smaller so that looks OK. I am aware of the advantages of buck versus boost circuits, but as I have other systems and a very good charger for 7.2V, I would like to explore the use of a maxflex driver. Looking at the specs of this driver, it should easily be able to drive the 3 Led's from a 7.2V battery.
I am also aware that for now, the UIB2 interface is not available for the maxflex, but I could live with the normal interface.
Even if fitting a maxflex would turn out not be possible, I remain interested in a set.

Thank you in advance,
Hendrik

yes you could run a Maxflex driver, but it would not fit in the holder...but you could do a DIY driver holder pretty easy that would do the job.

K

Last edited:

Argon

Newly Enlightened

Just expressing my interest for a direct driven min-t with the LED's wired for direct drive for lithium-ion batteries or 3 nimh cells. :)

ktronik

Enlightened

Just expressing my interest for a direct driven min-t with the LED's wired for direct drive for lithium-ion batteries or 3 nimh cells. :)

I know you are keen to get it going for cheap... I am not trying to stop your work... but....

Direct drive off a 3.7v (4.25v charged) li/po with no resistor WILL kill the LEDs. bad idea...
light usage with out thermal regulation is not the safest...

you may save money in the short term, but may ending but spending more in the long term.

I don't really want our lights to be done in a 'half baked' fashion...its gives a bad name for our product. we have made this light to tight tolerances, & it really needs to be made up as we have ment it to be made

thanks for your interest.

best

ktronik

SurfHenk

Newly Enlightened

Thank you ktronik for answering my questions so fast and clearly!

dom

Enlightened

Hi there
Sorry about the wording on what is included on the DIY kit - i fixed that in the first post:oops:

Hi Fred
As far a EN coating - i really don't know how thick the plating is -the front thread is 0.75mm pitch and the rear is 0.5mm pitch -so they are pretty tight already.
The bFlex holder wouldn't fit either if the coating was 0.05mm thick -or would be a VERY tight fit.

Can areas be masked off like with anodizing?

Cheers
Dom

dom

Enlightened

Hi There Hendrik -:welcome:

I don't know if i personally would use a maxFlex in this type light myself -but certainly for short rides with a smaller dual emitter helmet setup.

You could fit one in no worries though - i might make a couple holders to try as i have a few plastidipped 7.2V batteries lying around which were meant for a fatman driver project that never happened.
Have been waiting for the maxFlex's for awhile:party:

I know Icarus has made some very nice helmet units using the maxFlex for hiking and riding and was very happy with the performance.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/146187

As to the dual emitter head -after doing some rough measurements tonite -it looks like it may be possible.
Both the Cree and Seoul sit exactly the same length on the optic.
The only downside will be that the Cree optic will be upside down. hehe

I will draw it up in CAD tomorrow and make sure first though that the pockets don't interfere too much with each other.

All the best
Cheers
Dom

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi there
Sorry about the wording on what is included on the DIY kit - i fixed that in the first post:oops:

Hi Fred
As far a EN coating - i really don't know how thick the plating is -the front thread is 0.75mm pitch and the rear is 0.5mm pitch -so they are pretty tight already.
The bFlex holder wouldn't fit either if the coating was 0.05mm thick -or would be a VERY tight fit.

Can areas be masked off like with anodizing?

Cheers
Dom

Dom,

A standard EN coating is 5/10ths thick, i.e., .0005". But, as you probably know, when it come to threads, it is 4X that thickness that would need to be allowed for.

It is possible to make a plug so that threaded areas do not get plated, but normally one just plates the entire piece for 100% protection.

I'll probably just evaluate the situation when the light arrives and decide then. One can usually tell based on the fell and fit of the threads if there would be enough room.

dom

Enlightened

Hi Fred -
Hmmm -0.05mm for threads Definitely not enough room.

I will be using a new threading tool for the rear cover pocket this weekend -so have to setup for the fit.
I will make yours a little looser on both -only a matter of punching in the desired amount-the rest should be fine.

What name do you want written on it?

Don't worry about being obligated if you still want to pull out though -it's just that to get the lightpipe to align properly -the rear cover has to be screwed down tight when the pocket is just finished and still in the machine.
Then the lightpipe and securing holes are drilled and any engraving done at the same time.

Cheers
Dom

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Fred -
Hmmm -0.05mm for threads Definitely not enough room.

I will be using a new threading tool for the rear cover pocket this weekend -so have to setup for the fit.
I will make yours a little looser on both -only a matter of punching in the desired amount-the rest should be fine.

What name do you want written on it?

Don't worry about being obligated if you still want to pull out though -it's just that to get the lightpipe to align properly -the rear cover has to be screwed down tight when the pocket is just finished and still in the machine.
Then the lightpipe and securing holes are drilled and any engraving done at the same time.

Cheers
Dom

Dom,

Name: PhotonFanatic

Thanks.

royce

Newly Enlightened

Yes please put me on your list.

(I may even want 2 if that's allowed.)