Streamlight TwinTask 3C UV: How to Get More White

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings, CPForum. I'm new here, and see there is much to learn. In the meantime could you help me with a "low light" issue?

I recently purchased a Streamlight TwinTask 3C UV, primarily for its two UV beams' forensic applications. It works very well in this capacity, finding all kinds of hidden things, both good and bad. (Yep, I'm wearing UV protection goggles and being careful not to look directly into the beam). However, on the third click, you get white light at 57 lumens from a "high intensity xenon" bulb. Actually I was expecting a lot more than 57 lumens with 3C cells powering this brute.

Is there anything I could do to increase the output of the white light? I'd think that more light should not be too difficult to achieve, but (being a noob) I don't know if upgrades are widely available or not. Thanks.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't think there are any high output lamps for the TwinTask, but I might be wrong.

Maybe two separate lights?

:welcome:

Valolammas

Enlightened
What kind of bulb does it use? Is it a bi-pin or a PR-base or something else? If it's a bi-pin, maybe you could use a Stinger or Strion bulb.

Also, how much current does the stock bulb draw?

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your choice of lamps will be limited by the ability of alkaline C-cells to power them. If you go "big" with the incandescent you will probably have to either use NiMH cells or maybe two 18650 li-ion rechargeables. (ASSuming the higher voltage from the 18650s won't fry the LEDs. This mod would require a bit of pre-research on the light. I don't recall seeing much mention of it here.)

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, folks. The bulb is a bi-pin, appears to be .9 Amp "High Pressure Xenon Bulb."

I wanted to know if this light was a reasonable target of modding, and it looks like the answer is "no" -- so unless someone says otherwise, I'm thinking I should leave this one alone and get another flashlight for high power.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come to think of it, I wonder if a high-power incandescent lamp will cook the LEDs. That might be a reason why Streamlight put such a weak lamp there in the first place.

You could swap out the lamp for a high-flux LED but that would require a fair bit of work and money. I'd be willing to machine the custom parts for you if this is the path you want to follow. (I can guarantee this won't be the most economical, but you'll have a very nice and unique light when all is said and done.)

What about using a Surefire Kroma and swapping the blue or red LEDs with UV? I've ALWAYS wanted to build a Kroma with UV and IR LEDs, but no use for such a thing!