New to the whole LED thing, just ordered my first EDC in a long time... :)

RasmusB

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been reading a lot on this forum ever since I became fascinated with LED flashlights about one year ago.

I've always liked flashlights for some reason :shrug:, might have to do with my parents giving me one of those AAA Maglites when I was a kid. I always found new uses for it, but the runtime and the output was far from optimal.

Fast forward to 2 years ago, when I acted on impulse and bought a "3W Lumiled" MXDL flashligt on eBay. Sure, most people would consider it a piece of junk compared to most of the flashlights discussed here but I was surprised of how well it performed!

So, after a lot of looking around, I finally decided to buy my first real flashligt today! I've settled on the Special Edition Q5 Fenix Digital P1D CE - in natural finish.

The flaslight was shipped right away, so now I'll just have to unpatiently wait by the mailbox... fortunately, there seems to be a lot of people here who won't mind killing some time discussing their thoughts on the P1D CE as an EDC... :)

So... after this rather lengty introduction... what are your thoughts on the Q5 P1D CE? :) Anyone else ordered one?

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of those little guys :)

Preface by saying I also carried a Novatac 85P and a Peak McKinley 7LED job (in brass of course). Both of them are sitting my my nightsatnd while the Fenix lives in my pocket. It's smaller and lighter than either, puts out as much might as the Novatac (and lots more than the Peak, although the Peak is a better flood). While build construction isn't up to either of the others, it is more than solid enough to live in my pocket more or less forever, and weighs a fraction of either.

I don't unequivocally love it though. Turn on can be kinda spotty, leading to an occasional very quick flicker before it starts. The light then can think you want a mode other than the one you intended. I'm going to have to look at contact surfaces, but a software change could easily fix the problem. Something like "if your last power cycle was less than (say) 50 mSec ago, retain your previous setting."

But the beam is good, the LED is white with just a very slight hint of green in it - only really noticeable if you compare to the Novatac. Point it at a white wall alone, and you'd call it white. Of course in the real world it doesn't matter at all.

You're probably going to love it. I am quite fond of mine and easily live with it's minor niggles for the sheer output, size and ease of use.

2low

Newly Enlightened
Welcome! You can't go wrong with a Fenix. My first Fenix was the classic L1P and recently bought the P2D which is my EDC. Your EDC choice is a good one IMHO.

RasmusB

Newly Enlightened
Well, the choice was in part beacuse of all the good things I've been reading about the Fenix lights :)

But mostly beacuse all the reading I've done here has finally taught me that i'ts OK to spend $60 on a flashlight... ;)

Glad to hear that you have liked the light so far! Looking forward to see it in action :)

tygger

Enlightened
But mostly beacuse all the reading I've done here has finally taught me that i'ts OK to spend $60 on a flashlight... ;)

Be warned. In time, you might be saying "its OK to spend $600 on a flashlight." You might want to delete candlepowerfourms from your browser bookmark and run while you still have a chance. :grin2:

RasmusB

Newly Enlightened
That's a risk I might have to take... ;) But I'm safe for now (I think) ... I don't have the money to spend money on this hobby than my rent... :whistle:

Anyway, I'm surprised that I have been able to go this long without an EDC. And I sure hope I'll feel the same way after getting my flashlight ;)