Fenix L2D-CE shock question

Kwijybow

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,

see a lot of people using the fenix lights, and various versions of the L2D in particular as bike lights. I have one that I use for that occaisionally and would be extremely pleased if it weren't for one particular flaw. Fairly often I encounter road shock (or off road shock) sufficient to momentarily interrupt the power to the LED, and thus cause the light to either turn off, or change power level depending on what I have it set for. To lower the chance of this I was thinking about placing a small spacer to increase the battery pressure against the contacts, and was curious if anybody else had encountered this problem, and solved it.

Any recommended spacers?

Thanks,
Nelson.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
yeah i noticed the same thing, every bump would alter the level

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest a liner of some type around the batteries taking up the slop in the barrel. I'll bet this is the cause of losing connection when jarred. Give it a try.

Shur

Newly Enlightened
Roll the batteries up in wax paper before sliding them in.
It should take up some slack but still make it easy(ish) to get them out.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
If you're using this on regular (non-Turbo) mode where you can access the low, mid, high and SOS modes... you might want to unscrew the bezel a little more. Instead of maybe a 1/4 turn, try a 1/2 to 3/4 turn and see if it's any better. In my circumstance, this helped a lot...

Ryan

Zerius

Newly Enlightened
very easy fix for this, install sprint on the positive so that it touches the batteries

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're using this on regular (non-Turbo) mode where you can access the low, mid, high and SOS modes... you might want to unscrew the bezel a little more. Instead of maybe a 1/4 turn, try a 1/2 to 3/4 turn and see if it's any better. In my circumstance, this helped a lot...

Ryan

this is what i was thinking first. when i placed my l2d on a table to tailstand it would change the modes.
the problem is that i didn't back off the bezel enough and the small shock was enough to make the contact to switch it to turbo and non-turbo.
try unscrewing more like fliguy suggested. could be as simple as that. good luck:twothumbs

m13a8

Newly Enlightened
I could not get my L2D-CE to do this.

However this is good info to know just in case.

Same here, I jostled my L2D-CE and couldn't get it to change modes. Very happy with my L2D!

Kwijybow

Newly Enlightened
Thank for the help! I do have it backed off a bit, too tight and it does flicker into turbo some. But I can still make it change modes, I'm looking for the perfect spacer still, not sure I can get a spring that will work.

Thanks,
Nelson.

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm thinking a little foam donut would work perfectly. In any case, I have an L2D strapped to my bike along with whatever I feel like putting on at whim, and I have never had any mode-changing problems. However, I ride on-road most of the time at night except for the occasional serious bump or curb jumping.