Peak LED Solutions Runtimes - they don't make sense!

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking specifically at the Fujiyama, although I made a spreadsheet of all their configurations and runtimes, and the data is goofy all through their site.

But in this particular instance, the Fujiyama is a 2x AAA light with either one or three LEDs. Output with one LED is 45CP, with 3 is 92CP. Runtimes are the same in both cases - 4 hours. What the heck? I know that the 3 LEDs are probably running in a more efficient part of their curve, but THAT much better? Or is the data just messed up?

The same thing goes for the rest of the site. Ugh. I'm confused.

Gatsby

Enlightened
First - the Peak website it something of a train wreck. So it is kind of difficult to figure out at times what the capabilities of certain lights are based on that information.

However, I have a Peak Pacific and compared the runtimes Robyn posted in the Pacific technical thread on various bodies to other runtimes done by Doug or I believe ThisIsNascar and within some small margin they were very close. Meaning I don't think Peak tweaks or otherwise inflates their numbers. Their insistence on candlepower ratings, however, is pretty useless when everone else tries to use lumens (even if they report patently ridiculous or optimistic results).

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not saying the number are inflated - just that they don't make sense in that they are not consistent or even logical. I'm an electronics engineer with at least some understanding of how these things work, and the numbers are just goofy (to use a technical term).

Yeah, their site really sucks. But at least their lights work well. I love my Glacier Bay and McKinley. That's why I want a Fujiyama and despite their goofed up site I will likely get the single LED version.

The CD-ROM that accompanied my McKinley says that the Fujiyama can be had with a clip and a momentary button. Anyone ever order their lights configured in any way other than what the web site says is available?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Use your lightmeter to check runtimes of your Peak lights. Being an EE you probably have a lightmeter. You can use either lux at one meter, or bounce. Bounce off of a ceiling in small room with light at least a foot away from lightmeter and record lux numbers.

Bill

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use your lightmeter to check runtimes of your Peak lights. Being an EE you probably have a lightmeter. You can use either lux at one meter, or bounce. Bounce off of a ceiling in small room with light at least a foot away from lightmeter and record lux numbers.

Bill

I have a pile of DMMs, ranging from $5 to $2000. I have a nice Tektronix four channel digital oscilloscope. I have function generators and power supplies. I have hand tools out the wazoo. I have a $1500 soldering station and the training to use it. I don't have a light meter :) I am going to buy one!

Actually, a light sensor for a DMM is pretty cheap, so no excuse as to why I don't have one, I just haven't thought about it. Time to hit Digikey and get one on order!

That doesn't fix the Peak website though! If you're gonna have one and run a business from it, it should be a GOOD one!

I had to call them to get the light with a pushbutton option. Not a big deal since the call is toll free and they were very friendly, but there should be a way to configure your light online.