What light suits me?

chalshus

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I need a new EDC for work. I now use a Fenix PD1 CE witch it too small, IMO. And it sux with the twist switch and all those useless settings. OK, it gives nice output, and it runs off CR2, whitch i get for free. :D

I want the power button rear.
I only need/want one output setting.
CR123/CR2 or AA/AAA batteries.
A little larger than the Fenix. Maybe around 3 inches? No bigger than about 4 inches.
Price? Keep it below USD150.
Prefer black colour. But not a must.
I'll carry it in my "duty"belt, so a holster is nice.

Regards.

Oh, and im not a LEO. ;)

Last edited:

Carpenter

Enlightened
I'm not a LEO, but several that come to mind right away..

SureFire E1L 4"
You can get a holster for this on their site.

I personally carry the E1L and I find it out to be enough light for my needs (30-35 lumens)

LightScene

Enlightened
Since you are only using CR123 and not 3.7v RCR123, the Amilite Neo T5 should suit your needs quite well. It is very highly acclaimed. Cost is around $85.
http://www.amilite.co.kr/

Note that it is available with low of 15 lumens or 30 lumens, your choice. High is 140 lumens (so they say).
You can find reviews here on CPF, and threads in this 'led flashlights' forum.

I would recommend the Fenix P2D, but you seem to be tired of Fenix's 5 modes. Me too.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the E1L and the Amilte are both excellent suggestions. You might tells us a bit more about your usual uses for the light, example... more for close up...inside, or more for outside..... distance type spotting, or a bit of both.. etc.

Of course, I love my NovaTac 120P (suggested by RainerWahnsinn), but it doesn't exactly fit with the only one mode criteria.

chalshus

Newly Enlightened
I guess 3.7v RCR123 is OK.

I will use the light mostly indoor. Some outdoor use, mostly on reflective areas like buildings. I use a M6 outdoor.

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to stick with Fenix, there is the new L1T V2.0 that runs off 1 AA. It is a simple 2 level(High/Low), and can be set to turn on at either level. It is also activated by a forward tactical clicky so you can use it either momentary or constant on. If you order from David at Fenix-Store.com you can get 8% off your order by using CPF8 coupon code at checkout. He also has free world wide shipping. $42.78 shipped. Specs and description for this light...

The Fenix L1T V2.0 takes the simple yet effective interface of the LxT-series and upgrades the light with a more efficient emitter for a brighter, more intense beam. Also new is a textured reflector, eliminating artifacts and dark spots some smooth reflectors can create. The L1T V2.0 still retains the ability to select between high and low beam with a simple twist of the head, allowing the user to select the best compromise between brightness and runtime. The L1T V2.0 compromises nothing and is still built tough to last.

Features:

• Utilizes a Luxeon Rebel LED with a life of 50,000 hours
Two levels of output, changing by turning the bezel (patent)
• Current regulation
• The high level: 90 Lumens, 1.5 hours (Ni-HM)
• The low level: Constant 15 Lumens, 15 hours (Ni-HM)
• Uses one 1.5V AA ( Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium ) battery (not included), inexpensive and widely available
• 9.4cm (L) x 2.1cm (D)
• Made of aircraft grade aluminum
• Durable Type III hard anodized finish
• 45-gram weight (excluding batteries)
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standards
• Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating
• Tailcap switch with tactical 'momentary-on' function
• Textured reflector for a flawless beam
• Battery not included
• Includes a holster, a lanyard, two spare o-rings, and an extra rubber switch boot

Then there is the light I would highly recommend for a duty light. The Surefire L1. I like it for the rugged feel. The knurling is like none other I have felt, that is except for my other Surefire's. It is like velcro that attaches itself to your hand. The engineering and machining that goes into this thing is just simply amazing. I love the simplicity of the switch with its two levels of either momentary or constant on. The size is perfect for either pocket, lanyard, or holster carry. It has good run time for a single cell cr123a light. The output is just amazing, and equals the output of my 120P. Although I don't like to abuse my lights, I feel this little gem could take a lot of abuse and just keep on trucking with no problem. And, if it does ever have a problem, Surefire backs it up with one of the best lifetime warranty's in the industry. I highly recommend this light....Not only as an EDC, but as a tool that you will be able to depend on for years to come. With the cpf2006 discount code, you can have this light for $128.25 shipped with 8 free batteries from MattK at batteryjunction.com.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to stick with Fenix, there is the new L1T V2.0 that runs off 1 AA. It is a simple 2 level(High/Low), and can be set to turn on at either level. It is also activated by a forward tactical clicky so you can use it either momentary or constant on. If you order from David at Fenix-Store.com you can get 8% off your order by using CPF8 coupon code at checkout. He also has free world wide shipping. $42.78 shipped. Specs and description for this light...

This is my suggestion as well. It's great that it comes with a reverse clickie tailcap and a tactial momentary tailcap. I just recently got an L1T v2 and so for I like it. I bought it becasue I wanted to have a simple two stage clickie AA light in my collection. The L1T v2 fits in my hand just right-not too big, not too small. Get the 2AA L2T v2 if you want something a bit longer.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like Fenix will cater for you. Get a L1T V2.0. If you feel it is a bit short in your hand, buy a L2T body. This will give you the same low mode, but a more powerful high mode.

Spence

Enlightened
I back-up everything that BONDR006 says about the SURE FIRE L1 CREE. The L1 is my EDC and I have the FENIX lights as well. When the L1 fist landed in my hand I instantly knew the search had ended (for the time being LOL, flashaholic here). It is simply perfect in every way and I have never read any supported criticism or comments about the L1.
You're right, I have the P1D Q5 and it is a blast for its' size, but just too small as a workin' man's EDC.
Good luck.

:wave:

john46268

Newly Enlightened
You might look at the LumaPower LM31. I t has two modes on a rear clicky. One click very low, second click very high. if you can live with that...
Its dark gray. It comes with a holster and runs on a common AA cell.
It's on sale for $31 at BatteryJunction right now plus a 5% coupon discount.
It is quite sturdy and feels good in the hand. I like mine quite a lot.

LumaPower LM31 80 lumens 1 x AA with Seoul SSC P4 LED

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-lm301.html

5% off code: cpf2006