Noob question, Fenix L2D Rebel vs Maglite 2d

tozwp

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the LED light scene but have become very excited from what I've learned here in the past few days of surfing the forums. I ordered the above mentioned Fenix based on what I think I need for my primary hunting light. I've carried a 2d Maglite for years and decided it was time to upgrade to something smaller/lighter with better specs. Found this site when I started to research and its been a fantastic resource.

I really only use the light for getting to/from stands and some tracking. The Mag is sufficient for getting in and out but not great for tracking. I usually fire up the Coleman for that but I've occasionally forgotten to bring it along and have had to rely on the Maglite.

Here's my question: what are the specs on the Maglite 2D and how do they compare to the L2D Rebel? I've got the numbers for the Fenix but I can't find much for the standard Mag. I'm really curious to see how much better it will really be. I ordered the Fenix from the Fenix store last week but just found out its been back ordered (drat!). I was hoping to have both lights in my hand so that I could do a comparison myself but since I must wait, maybe someone here could excite me with some details. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas day here.......

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here' a link to a review of Mag 3D and 4D. This site has lots of useful information: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_3d.htm. If you need a light with a lot of throw look for lights with bigger reflectors(more of the light can be focused to a tighter beam for more throw), like a Tiablo A8 or A9, Dereelight DBS, or a Lumapower MRV.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Here are the lumen specs on the various forms of the D-size incandescent MagLites

lamps_dcell.jpg

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176109

As for the LED versions, I'm still looking for the lumen specs for those... :shrug:

tozwp

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. From the review of the 3&4 D cells, it looks like the 2D is really going to underperform my new Fenix. Its amazing to me how a 2 AA cell light can last longer, put out more light and stay at relatively constant output for so long in comparison. The Mag looks like it really drops off fast while the Fenix continues to stay steady for much longer. I think I'm really going to enjoy the new light - can't wait for it to show up.

meuge

Enlightened
I'm new to the LED light scene but have become very excited from what I've learned here in the past few days of surfing the forums. I ordered the above mentioned Fenix based on what I think I need for my primary hunting light. I've carried a 2d Maglite for years and decided it was time to upgrade to something smaller/lighter with better specs. Found this site when I started to research and its been a fantastic resource.

I really only use the light for getting to/from stands and some tracking. The Mag is sufficient for getting in and out but not great for tracking. I usually fire up the Coleman for that but I've occasionally forgotten to bring it along and have had to rely on the Maglite.

Here's my question: what are the specs on the Maglite 2D and how do they compare to the L2D Rebel? I've got the numbers for the Fenix but I can't find much for the standard Mag. I'm really curious to see how much better it will really be. I ordered the Fenix from the Fenix store last week but just found out its been back ordered (drat!). I was hoping to have both lights in my hand so that I could do a comparison myself but since I must wait, maybe someone here could excite me with some details. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas day here.......
What you need to know is this:
The 2D Mag will put out maybe 1/3-1/2 of the total light output of the L2D... and will only do it for the first minute or two.

After running for 1/2 hour, the 2D Mag will likely put out about 1/2 the light... it will then dim slower until the batteries are depleted.

The L2D is fully capable of putting out the same amount of light as a 2D Mag on fresh batteries... for 12 hours straight (on NiMH rechargeables) on its MEDIUM setting. And because the L2D is digitally regulated, the output will remain as bright as when you first turned it on, unlike the ever-dimming Mag.

Look here for some great information on the L2D-CE:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1dce-l2dce.htm

P.S. The L2D-CE will draw more power on High and Turbo than alkaline AAs can provide, so the runtime will be much shorter than expected. To get the maximum out of your light, use NiMH rechargeables or primary lithium AAs.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
see here:

Fenix L1D on the left (front tyre)
28 Led 3aaa light on the right (2 meters right of the back tyre, not visible beam)
Mag 2D up middle
Cree P4 @ 1 A middle (brighter than a fenix, but will look the same)

anfwze53b5281js6s.jpg

Katdaddy

Enlightened
The Fenix L2D Cree was my first "real" light. It put my 4D Mag to shame! There is no comparison.
Warning!!!!!
You will not stop with one light. This is highly addictive.

tozwp

Newly Enlightened
Warning!!!!!
You will not stop with one light. This is highly addictive.[/quote]

That's what I'm afraid of!

Yellow - that picture is what I am looking for. The comparison numbers are astounding to me and that photo shows it. Come on Fenix, ship that light!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Next stop, a Tiablo A8 Q5 or A9 for 150+ meter throw.

A normal cheap 2D light produce between 15-20 lumens on a fresh battery. I'm guessing the maglite to be 20-30 lumen max. The L2D-Rebel(Rebel 100 or Rebel 80?) would be at least 120 lumen on turbo and medium produces at least 35 lumens and runs for 6.6 hours on alkaline batteries.

:welcome:

JamisonM

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. From the review of the 3&4 D cells, it looks like the 2D is really going to underperform my new Fenix. Its amazing to me how a 2 AA cell light can last longer, put out more light and stay at relatively constant output for so long in comparison. The Mag looks like it really drops off fast while the Fenix continues to stay steady for much longer. I think I'm really going to enjoy the new light - can't wait for it to show up.
tozwp, take a look a some of the LED drop-ins available for D and C cell maglites. They vary in brightness, but will last longer then any of the fenix lights in a 2D maglite.

mchlwise

Enlightened
Its amazing to me how a 2 AA cell light can last longer, put out more light and stay at relatively constant output for so long in comparison.

Remember that scene in the Matrix, where Morpheus offers Neo the red pill or the blue pill?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGQF8LAmiaE

The blue pill looks like an " X " in the top right corner of your active window. Push it and go have a snack.

The red pill is here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

:crackup:

I would say "hold on to your wallet", but it's no use. :shakehead

meuge

Enlightened
tozwp, take a look a some of the LED drop-ins available for D and C cell maglites. They vary in brightness, but will last longer then any of the fenix lights in a 2D maglite.

The TerraLux SSC dropin for the 3-D maglite puts out a little less total light than the L2DCE, but because of the Mag's focusing ability, it can make a very nice long-range beam that's good for up to 100m... and will last >10 hours regulated on 3 D-cells.

I got one for my parents, so they have a bright light they cannot lose... and it's awesome.

leprechaun414

Enlightened
:welcome:

The Fenix L2D Rebel is a great light. You will be very happy with it.
You will put your Maglite 2d in a drawer and never look back.

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Turn your 2d mag into an ROP low.
search for it here, but you could turn the 2d into a beast for under $20

use some cheap 3aa to 1d battery holders. $1.50 ea here:
https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3294
and get a pack of Pelican 3854 bulbs. Use the low one b/c the high won't work well without low resistance, more expensive stuff. Get some NiMh AA batteries and you're good to go. You can even use alkalines with this but you'll go through batteries really fast.

Especially for hunting, this will be better for color rendition and terrain identification. If you want LED though you could also do this with a drop in for a 6d mag and get a really bright light with super long run time (12,000+ mAh).

Hope that helps,
-Pete

tozwp

Newly Enlightened

I saw that and was intrigued. It looks like the way to go if I want to continue using the Maglite. Only problem is, I want to reduce my pack weight and the lowest hanging fruit there was that 2D cell brick. The Fenix is cheaper than the mod for the Mag and its much much lighter. I think I'll be happy with it. I may mod the Mag later though. Some of the comments here have me very interested in doing that with either the malkoff or others. Maybe I'll even dabble with my soldering iron and some parts.

I've seen comments that the low is too bright on the Fenix (10 - 11 lumens)? Seems thats about where my Mag should be at half battery power. I'm thinking it should be about right for walking in the woods in the dark. The additional higher power modes will be useful for tracking I think. Sure wish Fenix would ship that thing. Anybody else order a L2D Rebel (100) within the past week?

Gene43

Enlightened
Sorry for the slow email response. The number of emails I've been getting lately has been overwhelming. Hopefully I should have some stock ready for sale by next week.

Gene