Attention Wikipedia contributors

AvPD

Enlightened
Wikipedia has general information on LEDS and the companies that make them but no information on specific technology such as the Luxeons, Cree XR-E etc.

Is anyone else interested in having some wikipedia articles on these subjects? Does anyone know good sources of information that could flesh out an article?

I had the misfortune to attempt to browse the CPF wiki which is in reality a collection of newbie vandalism.

Greta

Flashaholic
Wikipedia has general information on LEDS and the companies that make them but no information on specific technology such as the Luxeons, Cree XR-E etc.

Is anyone else interested in having some wikipedia articles on these subjects? Does anyone know good sources of information that could flesh out an article?

I had the misfortune to attempt to browse the CPF wiki which is in reality a collection of newbie vandalism.
There is a new CPF Wiki being created as we speak.... it's just a matter of proper formatting so it doesn't end up like the one you mentioned. The formatting is what is taking the most time. Just be patient... please... :)

AvPD

Enlightened
There is a new CPF Wiki being created as we speak.... it's just a matter of proper formatting so it doesn't end up like the one you mentioned. The formatting is what is taking the most time. Just be patient... please... :)

Thanks for the update. I prefer to contribute to Wikipedia though (even in the face of its increasing bureaucratisation). And this new CPF wiki is still in the pipeline at present.

Last edited:

AvPD

Enlightened
I'm bumping this thread as I don't want this thread to be concluded yet.

I hate to be pessimistic but this new CPF wiki reminds me a lot of open-source software, it may be perpetually in the alpha stage.

paulr

Flashaholic
The old cpf wiki was pretty nice except it didn't allow photo uploads, It didn't feel like perpetual alpha stage.. But why not just use Wikia? (www.wikia.com).

Greta

Flashaholic
I'm bumping this thread as I don't want this thread to be concluded yet.

I hate to be pessimistic but this new CPF wiki reminds me a lot of open-source software, it may be perpetually in the alpha stage.
You'll have to forgive me if I'm being dense here but.... you haven't even SEEN the new CPF wiki.... so how can you make any kind of assessment whatsoever on it? :thinking: :shrug: :confused:

AvPD

Enlightened
OK it doesn't appear that there's any Wikipedia contributors on this board so I'll consider it a solo effort. Wikia seems interesting but why not have the information in easy reach on Wikipedia? (assuming fellow editors don't decide it's non-notable and erase the work, which is the only risk in spending time on articles there).

you haven't even SEEN the new CPF wiki
That's what I meant by being in the "alpha" stage (a term used in software development), alphas aren't necessarily public.

To further clarify what I was talking about it appears there in minimal interest in creating reference material on current torches (eg. Flashlightreviews.com has closed, no one was interested in running www.cpfwiki.com, the existing CPF wiki is empty) so if you finish the new wiki you'll have done well. And there's the question of whether any content would be added by anyone other than yourself (and me if I can find technical information on these power LEDS).
There's countless open-source programs on the internet that have been left in a half-finished state because the original author(s) lost interest. So you can see why I'm biased toward creating some articles on Wikipedia which I am an existing contributor to.

However a CPF wiki WILL be important for information on specific torches, I'm only talking about creating maybe a single page about the Power LEDS from Cree, Seoul and Lumiled (if I created separate articles they'd be deleted or merged anyway).

If you can basically create an alternative to the information pages on dealextreme.com (which appears to be down again) you could get a decent amount of traffic.

That should be enough alienation for one day.

Greta

Flashaholic
Ok... AvPD.... pay attention for a minute... please? I mentioned above that the CPF Wiki is being formatted. And then... perhaps... just perhaps, mind you... you don't even have the URL for what is going to be the CPF Wiki. And of course.... you really have no idea at all what is going to be uploaded to the Wiki once it is properly formatted. I'll be nice though this time and give you a little preview.... click here.

Now... it's really recommended that you do as I nicely asked previously... be patient... k?

Latest posts