1 Watt L.E.D. Upgrade & IQ Switch® Combo

krazy89

Enlightened
Hey everyone...

Just wondering if anyone out there has this kit for a 2AA Minimag??? can you comment on how good it is?? or how bad??

Also... Does anyone know if u can swap out the emitter on this and say put in a SSC or a Cree?? That would make this a much more worth it mod..

Thanks to anyone that has info.

KraZy

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't have one but I've seen and used one. It is good, but modding it to a Seoul would be hard. It's one of the best buy at a store Drop-in I've seen.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I have one. Not the same quality as a TerraLux drop-in, but you can't expect that for the price. They work well for what they are.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually like mine a lot. Not as bright as a CREE or SSC drop in, but for a walk around the house light it's nice. Mine has a nice warm tint, and a nice smooth beam. The IQ switch blinks so you can find the light in the dark, and you can select a low mode if you just need to navigate around the house. The IQ switch does reduce the max output, but again, if you're not looking for maximum brightness it isn't a problem.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine. Makes my MM much more useful. Mine has a warm tint. I did have a SMJLED in my MM at first but I did not like the SMJLED's blue tint. I also like having a clickie on the it as well. As GreenLED said, it works well for what it is.

sims2k

Enlightened
I have one too and I like it a lot. The red blinking tailcap makes it easy to find in the dark. Not as bright as the TLE-5EX but it is a lot brighter than the stock incan bulb. I carry both the 1 Watt + IQ switch combo and the TLE-5EX and red tailcap switch combo with a Surefire L2 at work every night.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mine with a 1AA Cutdown minimag. The IQ switch does a ood job of bleeding off that extra voltage of a 14500 to keep the converter from burning out. The only real issue with this config is that the LED always has a bit of current going to it. Its one of my favorite lights... Or it was before I misplaced it recently... It'll turn up though.

schiesz

krazy89

Enlightened
hey guys.. .thanks for the input...

i think i'm gonna get the kit... i love the idea of the IQ switch... with multiple levels... and i just hate incan light... love the color of LED light...

and the great thing is... locally.. i have a store that carries them... don't need to go thru the hassle of shipping from an online retailer...

the only thing is tho... i wonder if there's anyway to put a cree or ssc in it...

but seeing how this kit is a 1 watt... the circuit in there will probably not work to power a 3watt led... or even if it does... it will power it at the 1watt level... ??

KraZy

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1 Watt is just the power level, all of the current high power LEDs can be driven at 1 watt. LEDs aren't like Incans, they can be driven at a whole range of levels(the lower the more efficient).

I've seen this drop-in modded with a Seoul. Looking for thread.

Edit: Found! Thread, Post 16

Last edited:

krazy89

Enlightened
wow.. that's wicked.. thx for the link....

i think i will be modding the mod kit... sounds funny...

KraZy