Sunglasses?

carrot

Flashaholic
(Due to time constraints and a bit of refocusing of interests I have been away from CPF for awhile.)

Being outdoors a lot during the day, I found a need for good sunglasses (having switched from Transitions to contact lenses) and after some research ended up with a very nice pair of Oakley Bottlecaps with black iridium lenses, which sparked an interest in quality sunglasses. So what do CPFers wear during the day?

bitslammer

Enlightened
Serengeti Carini Classics. Hands down the best I've ever worn. Durable, optically correct glass lenses (not easily scratchable), perfect tint, good coverage, and polarized.

I do wear polycarbonate from time to time on my motorcycle that I don't have a windscreen on. I figure if something nails me polycarb is less likely to break.

http://www.serengetieyewear.com/products/serengeti_classics/classics_serengeti.cfm

B@rt

Flashaholic
Serengeti's for me, with "Driver" lenses, very soothing to my eyes. ;)

Another lens I really like is the B&L B-15 brown, I don't care much for grey, green or other colored lenses in my glasses (or plastic...) :thinking: :shrug:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wear a pair of 52.1 mm borofloat lenses with some light diffusing film on them. They don't do a good job of blocking the light but they do a really good job of obscuring my vision.

When I am not wearing them, I find that I don't wear any kind of sunglasses.

junkfms

Newly Enlightened
I used to have a pair of Smith. Their lens are great. But lost them a few years back. My wife replaced them with Oakley Juliet we picked up in a dutyfree store in Auckland airport. Non-polarize lenses and good enough, the frames are made of titanium, but surely more expensive than my previous Smith. Anyway both Smith and Oakley are good but for pricewise and quality I would definately go back to Smith, no doubt.

Hi bitslammer, I used to be around your town. Are you a fan of Thai food?

DM51

Flashaholic
My daughters stole my 3 prs of Raybans, said I was much too old for them lol. I now have a pair of Persols which I like a lot - the lenses are superb, and they are a perfect fit.

People ought not to wear shades inside or in the dark - it is bad for the eyes, and it looks stupid IMO.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Wow! Didn't expect so many other Serengeti fans. If you're a Costco member, or know one, go there and look for the Serengetis. If you get the ones like I or Bart have with the driver tint lens (mine are also polarized) and try them, you will be hooked!

They cut through the UV haze like a hot knife through butter. It's even amazing to me to look at the smoke stacks of coal power plants with them on and see the brown/yellow exhaust. With the naked eye it's not visible but it's like magic with the Serengetis on. When I let people try them and they look at something like that they're so amazed that they think they are special glasses. I explain to them that they are just filtering out the UV and higher blues allowing them to see the lower wavelengths more clearly.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
OAKLEYs!!! The metal-framed glasses have served me well; I say this because I seem to be accident-prone when it comes to things hitting me in the face!

1) About a month ago I was driving ~70 mph on the freeway when a piece of iron pipe was thrown into the air, and it went through my windshield. (Literally, THROUGH my windshield, like a spear.) The pipe didn't hit me, but I was showered with tiny dagger-pointed pieces of glass. Oakley RAZR Wires to the rescue!! Haha...

2) Driving a friend's CRX during the filming of "The Fast and the Furious," as I was an extra during the Race Wars scene. They had us faux drag racing, and the director kept telling us to go faster. The CRX's hood was held down with hood pins, and they must've rattled loose during the course of the day, because the hood flew up at speed and smashed the windshield and glass moonroof. I got showered, but my Oakley Ti-wires held up great!

3) Shooting. Had a razor-sharp piece of copper bullet jacket splash back at me. Bloodied the bridge of my nose; didn't really hit the glasses but I was sure glad for their high-strength protection.

Three life-changing points from me, and I'm nowhere near kidding.

Numbers

Enlightened
I checked Serengeti's web site they dont seem to offer too much in the way of polarized glasses. I need the gray/green lens. Did I miss something there?

Better yet which quality manufacturer offers the widest selection of polarized glasses (for use while on the water)? I will check em out.

bitslammer

Enlightened
I checked Serengeti's web site they don't seem to offer too much in the way of polarized glasses. I need the gray/green lens. Did I miss something there?

Better yet which quality manufacturer offers the widest selection of polarized glasses (for use while on the water)? I will check em out.

Look under their Technology section and it will give you the specs on which lenses have polarized options. Check the Strata 555nm version I think that's the grey/green polarized version you're looking for.

http://www.serengetieyewear.com/technology/lenses.cfm

Hopefully the link works. I had trouble before with the one I posted.

cat

Enlightened
There's a huge comprehensive /technical thread on it on advrider.com
google
sunglasses site:www.advrider.com
I think Serengeti and Maui Jim came out on top, with the more technical, experienced guys.