"Run" Command in Windows?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all! I need some help with a computer problem today. I know the answer is out there, and I know it is short and sweet. I also know I don't know it!

I need to know what string or filename invokes the "Run" command in Windows. I want to make a shortcut to it, and then use a hotkey program to invoke that shortcut, and therefore the "Run" dialog. However, I have not been able to find it on Google.

Does anyone know what it is? I don't want to have to switch out of explorer.exe to a different shell just to use it (it's a piece of cake in Aston!)

:)

LEDAdd1ct

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't know how to call Run externally but if you tap the Windows key and then Alt-R (I think?) you should be able to call it. Two strokes but better than nothing?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
:(

I use the absolutely fantastic IBM Model "M" keyboards exclusively at home, and though there is no proof, the rivalry and bad blood between Microsoft and IBM may be the reason why IBM Model M's omit the Windows key. I appreciate the suggestion, though. :)

I *know* there is a way to invoke the dialog box from a string of text, but I can't remember/never learned.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hee hee hee. Never! :D

Once you experience the amazing feel of a Model M (one with fresh springs, mind you), you come to covet the "buckling spring" experience. Any other membrane keyboard is torture in comparison.

carrot

Flashaholic
Oh yeah, I do use the Model M's too, so I know what you mean. I haven't gotten around to getting a USB Unicomp Model M for use on my Mac but my 20-year old IBM Model M works like a charm on my desktop. You can also invoke the Start menu with Ctrl-ESC. If I didn't desire wireless from time to time and the Apple/Command key, the Model M would be exclusively my keyboard of choice. I love the noise they make too.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:D I knew that would be the response. My bro had a model M keyboard and they're *nice*. However, I went "ergo" a while back and will never look back at a blocky keyboard types the same way.

K A

Enlightened
I don't know if the Model M keyboards have a Control key.. So I'll post this anyway. Try holding down the Control key while hitting the Escape key. Should pop up the Start dialog. I know it works in XP Pro for me. Not certain if that key combo still works in Vista.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinkvantage software might help. I run that on my IBM laptop to remap one control key to the windows keys. But a google search shows other ways to make a shortcut. If you use the new XP starmenu (not classic) you can drag and drop run to a shortcut or so they say.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use <CTRL>+<ESC> all the time to access the Start menu. But I have many other shortcuts mapped with <CTRL>+<ALT>+<OTHER LETTER HERE>, plus other computers where I have "Run" mapped to <CTRL>+<ALT>+<P>, and would like to do the same here, but without changing my shell. If I have to, I will. ;)

Regarding ergonomics- the tactile feedback on a buckling spring keyboard is the best I've ever used.

carrot

Flashaholic
:D I knew that would be the response. My bro had a model M keyboard and they're *nice*. However, I went "ergo" a while back and will never look back at a blocky keyboard types the same way.

They are rare, but you can get a split/ergo Model M. It even allows you to adjust the angle of the split.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alex, thank you for the suggestion. I visited that site before posting. That trick only seems to work if you are using the XP-style "Luna" theme. I am using a version of Windows XP with the Luna theme removed.

Perhaps someone who has the Luna theme on their computer would be so kind as to make the shortcut by dragging the "Run" option, and then pasting the contents of that shortcut here?

:confused:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hooray! I found it!

Quoted from this site

http://smallvoid.com/article/windows-start-menu-run.html we have:

" It is also possible to create a normal shortcut with an icon that points to the "Run..." dialog.
  1. Create a text file named Run.js, which contains the following line:
    (new ActiveXObject("Shell.Application")).FileRun();
  2. Right-click Run.js and select "Create shortcut"
  3. Right-click the created shortcut and select "Properties"
  4. Add "WScript.exe " (Without quotes) to the beginning of "Target:"
  5. If wanting to change the icon of the shortcut press "Change Icon" else press "Ok" "

I found that steps two through five were unnecessary, and after trying, I omitted them. You just point what you want to open the file directly *to* the .js file, and you are all set.

I was really surprised. I looked through *many* pages on Google, and this was the only site to have the exact answer I was looking for. It takes slightly longer to open the "Run" dialog than on the computer next to it. I am still hoping that some kind soul who uses Windows XP with the Luna theme (big bubbly looking theme) will drag the "Run" option from the "Start" menu to the desktop, and post the contents of the .lnk file here, so that I can try making a shortcut
    that way as well. But this works for now.

Yay!

LEDAdd1ct :twothumbs

turbodog

Flashaholic
Hee hee hee. Never! :D

Once you experience the amazing feel of a Model M (one with fresh springs, mind you), you come to covet the "buckling spring" experience. Any other membrane keyboard is torture in comparison.

And there's one thing nicer than the Model M.

The NMB keyboard with the black magic keyswitches.

If the model M's the mag, the nmb is the modded, polished, gold plated hds.

There's a guy selling, what seems like a limitless supply, of used ones on ebay for $100 a pop.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
Thinkvantage software might help. I run that on my IBM laptop to remap one control key to the windows keys. But a google search shows other ways to make a shortcut. If you use the new XP starmenu (not classic) you can drag and drop run to a shortcut or so they say.

I just tried it, it works. I'm a model M user myself. It was a post in this very cafe that started me on the model M. I just press control-esc then r until run is selected.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put the shortcut into a getbox here.

When I created it, it was named "&Run....lnk" but I changed the name to avoid transfer problems.

I hope it's useful. :)

[edit] OK. I fixed the link for IE. Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited:

Enlightened
Just hold the Windows key (the little flag logo) and press R. That will launch the run dialog automatically, no special hot key needed.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
binky, thank you very, very much. That is the link I was looking for!

It should be faster than the other method I was using.

:thumbsup:

LEDAdd1ct