Inova Xo 1.4 watt vs. 4.8 watt

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a 1.4-watt X0 after FlashlightReviews.com upgraded the non-TIROS one to 5 stars.

"Okay, self... better output, better runtime... I guess they got more efficiency out of the new bulb than they lost from the new reflector. And it's only $35, and the head'll keep it from falling through my light holster." So
I took the plunge. And it was good. (Better than their spectacular X5 save water resistance) But the new 4.8 watt version actually seemed dimmer in Target, when playing with it. What gives?

And will someone who's used new batteries in both please weigh in?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I honestly don't know anything about these lights, but it's possible the target one may have been played with a bunch before, using up a lot of it's battery.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's more or less what I was thinking.

But I need to rip one out of the packaging and swap in fresh batteries to give it a fair swing.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Inovas are very tough lights but they newer ones use the Luxeon K2. The newer LEDs(Cree XR-E P4 bin and up, Seoul P4 U bin, Luxeon Rebel 80 and 100) have at least twice the efficiency(twice the amount of light for the same output).

FYI, my $25 Cree light eats the XO for output and throw but the XO still wins for toughness.

The XO seems dimmer might be because of the batteries being depleted or a bad bin LED.

I think you should get a decent Cree/Seoul/Rebel light, but that's just my opinion.

The Inova is a great buy able at a store light but it's far from the best.

:welcome:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
But I *do* love the durability - I've dropped my X5 once, and my X0's been beaten around more than its fair share and dropped once or twice.

wai king

Newly Enlightened
I bought both from Target and toy with it and they seem to be the same in term of brightness and runtime which is not that much IMO and I compared them inside and outside and cannot see any difference except for the package. So I returned the 1.4 watt and kept the 4.8. :thinking:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I've dropped and thrown my $25 light too many times to count and despite all that(and a out of round bezel from a hard meeting with the ground) it still works and the glass window hasn't broken yet, you just have to know which light to pick.

But there was one example of an Inova that broke a marble tile and still worked. I would agree that overall, Inova lights are really good.

How much are you willing to spend? If you are willing to buy online I could probably list a few brighter lights that will easily be tough enough and have the right beam pattern for you uses.

The Watt rating might be false. Since they both have the same runtime, I think it is safe to assume that they are either driven at the same level. The LEDs might also be of different bin and human eyed do not see light linearly. A 100 lumen light would not seem 2x brighter then a 50 lumen light.

Overall, I like Inova's toughness and I think they are one of the best widely available lights that the public knows about. I just wish they uses some of the newer LEDs(modding them is possible, just very hard). Go for it if you want a good light which you won't have to wait for.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thing is, I'm not sure the 4.8 watt diode in the new X0 is actually an upgrade. Until I find a poorly-glued 4.8 watt light at Target and a
good white wall (or floor) I won't really be sure. Last time I noodled, the 4.8 seemed brighter, first time I noodled, my 1.4 watt seemed brighter.

Ugh.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I's not really an upgrade. You do get more spill(more useful) but the Luxeon K2 is about the same efficiency as the Luxeon III used in the previous X0. They are probably supplying more power to the LED though.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I's not really an upgrade. You do get more spill(more useful) but the Luxeon K2 is about the same efficiency as the Luxeon III used in the previous X0. They are probably supplying more power to the LED though.
The previous XO (TIROS) used a Luxeon I, not the III. Not that it really matters, 'cause my old XO is brighter than my T3 TIROS. Although its runtime is also shorter than the solid 4 hours mark shown at Flashlight Reviews.