Using L1D body with L2D RB100?

JB

Enlightened
I've heard that it's possible to use the L1D body tube with the L2D RB100 so the light becomes a 1xAA light.

Question is: does anybody know how the brightness levels and runtime change with 1xAA?

Also with 1xAA is the 10-min safety restriction on turbo mode still applicable? I imagine that with 1xAA the turbo mode will be lesser than on 2xAA and thus less heat generated.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've considered getting a L1D body to go with my L2Dce. I think for that combination the turbo is hardly noticeable. Check for a review of the L1Dce. It should give you a good idea of what to expect. Your Rebel will be a bit brighter, but runtime should be about the same.

Geoff

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question is: does anybody know how the brightness levels and runtime change with 1xAA?

Also with 1xAA is the 10-min safety restriction on turbo mode still applicable?

I'd imagine the run time charts for the L1D CE/L2D CE would give you the ballpark comparison although there would be some minor differences.

Generally, you can run in turbo for longer than 10 minutes as long as the ambient conditions aren't extreme. There isn't much difference between High and Turbo using a single Energizer AA lithium or Nimh battery. I'd run in High only and get the longer run time. You really wouldn't want to run Turbo with a single AA, just doesn't do much. If you don't want to step through the levels, I'd recommend the L1Tv2.

PS the L2D100 works so much better as a 2xAA light, I wouldn't really waste it as a single AA light. A CR123 body would be better if you want to go small with it (P2D100).

Last edited:

moses

Enlightened
I run that combo. Depending on your light, your Turbo may be a bit brighter or not at all. Basically, low, med, high is as bright as the lithium cell so you do get a whopping 100 lumens at the LED with a single rechargeable AA. That's pretty incredible and recommended.

I remember when a 60 lumens Surefire incandescent was 'state of the art' - and now you blow that away with a single AA.

Oh, and you can used 'turbo' indefinitely as it's really not turbo anymore - so not much heat generated that will harm the light.

Moses

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the L2D premium with Rebel 100 and tried the L1D body with it. Turbo mode is almost exactly the same as Turbo mode. In fact switching directly between them I can not see a difference. I can not see a difference when doing a ceiling bounce or looking directly. So really with 1xAA you lose turbo mode in my opinion.

I bought the 1AA body just so I could have the smaller light option. But because Turbo mode with 2xAA is just so cool I never use the light with the single AA body. But I don't EDC the light, but this light is my go to light in the house.

PS - Really cool light. As soon as they are back in stock I plan to buy the L2D Rebel 100 for my non-flashaholic dad.

JB

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, from my own preliminary testing the Turbo mode on 1xAA is more or less the same as High. As has been mentioned here, 1xAA doesn't supply enough juice to give a 175-lumen Turbo.

Still I must say that 100-lumen max output from a 1xAA light is incredible. I'm just discovering how versatile this RB100 light is, it can use primaries or rechargeables (both versions are easily available and relatively cheap). You can configure it as 2xAA or 1xAA with a quick swap of the body tube. I like it a lot!

JB

Enlightened
I remember when a 60 lumens Surefire incandescent was 'state of the art' - and now you blow that away with a single AA.

Yeah, I used to have a SF E2. But the cost of CR123s here is a killer (and you had to use 2 of 'em). To get that kind of output with a single AA is wonderful and so much cheaper to run. Dontcha just love technology?