Hi guys, it's been a while

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well as some of you may or may not have noticed, I haven't been active here on CPF for a couple months. Back on August 23rd, we had quite the flood here in Northern Illinois. I was at ground zero for it because the Kishwaukee River ran right behind my house.

It started to flood a bit in the yard when I left for work in the morning, but I thought nothing of it, since that has happened before. It kept raining on and off for the entire day. I didn't get home until about 7:30 that night. I couldn't even get closer than a block away from my house with my car. I had to park a block away and wade home. The whole neighborhood was flooded. The water was just two steps below the level of the floor of the house. I went inside, and packed a few bags of clothes and other essentials, and took several trips down the block to put them in my car. Each trip took about 10-15 minutes because I had to wade through knee or waste high water to get to my car down the block. I knew it was just a matter of time before the water came into the house. I talked to the neighbor in the other side of the duplex, and finally after a while convinced her to get prepared to leave.

I spent some more time elevating some things inside to try to keep them above the soon to come flood water. When I was doing this, I had to put everything in one of three categories. 1-take out with me, 2-elevate and hope to salvage later, and 3-say goodbye to it. Unfortunately, I had to say goodbye to many of the things I owned. I just didn't have room in my car, nor the time to take it out.

I tried to get my 97 GMC pickup out of the driveway, but as I backed down the driveway, the water got deeper and deeper, until the exhaust was burbling under water. I just had to put it back on the highest part of the driveway and hope the water wouldn't rise high enough to get inside. It eventually rose to the level of the seats!

As the water got close to coming in, I told the neighbor it was time to leave, and I helped her with her dogs. She was parked down the street like I was. I had to carry one cocker spaniel, she carried a yorkie terrier, and the third dog, another cocker spaniel refused to be carried, so he swam while being led by the leash.

I then went back for one last trip to get one more bag of stuff, and my cat. I shut off the power to the whole place and as I was closing the front door, the water started to soak into the carpet. Very sad to see that happen. I then went out the side door, waded to my car and spent the night at my parents house.

The next day, I went to see the landlord and she put me up in an empty apartment she had. I spent the next month and a half there. I then went back to see how high the water was. I was at the end of the block, and saw my next door neighbor, her ex-husband, daughter, and son in law with an inflatable boat. We walked down the block with the boat in tow to retreive some more belongings. At the base of my driveway where it meets the street, the water was up to my chest, and I'm 6'2"! Inside the house, water was almost knee high throughout.

All of my furniture was destoyed, 2 tv's, washer, dryer, mini fridge, some clothes and lots of other stuff too. The water level in the garage was up over the windows of my 1956 Oldsmobile, so it was totalled, as was the 97 GMC pickup truck.

Waste management put many large dumpsters out in the street so we could start the clean up process. I've never been so drained in all my life, as I'm sure all the neighbors were. Physically, mentally and emotionally drained.
The mess from all the mud coming in the house was unbelievable, as was the smell. I'll never forget that nasty smell.

There are some bright spots though. Everyone has been very generous helping out either physically, or financially. They took up a collection for me at work. That was a great help! The Red Cross gave me some assistance with a debit card to replace some of the things I lost. A buddy's mom gave me two big laundry baskets full of groceries, and a WalMart gift card. I cried at everyone's generosity.

But this flood, while purging me of many of my posessions, may prove to be the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. While I was living in that temporary apartment, I met the downstairs neighbor. She and I are now dating! We have so much in common, and get along so well I can hardly believe it. As difficult as this whole thing has been, meeting her was worth losing everything. Because I may be gaining so much more.

I did manage to save all my flashlights, too. And wouldn't you know it, my new girlfriend thinks flashlights are cool!! No kidding!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I can relate to what you're going through, although in our case the flooding was only in the basement, and only a few inches deep. See this thread I started. We added up over $10K in damaged items, but the insurance company only gave us $2700. We're filing a claim with NYC now since the backup was from the city sewer.

It sounds based on your story that there's at least a glimmer of a silver lining around the black cloud. I hope it works out for you with your downstairs neighbor. And welcome back to CPF!

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
It sounds based on your story that there's at least a glimmer of a silver lining around the black cloud. I hope it works out for you with your downstairs neighbor. And welcome back to CPF!

Hi Big Ed,

It seems your silver lining is glimmering BIG TIME :twothumbs.

Congrats, and I hope all things, material & immaterial will work out fine!

Kees

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can relate to what you're going through, although in our case the flooding was only in the basement, and only a few inches deep. See this thread I started. We added up over $10K in damaged items, but the insurance company only gave us $2700. We're filing a claim with NYC now since the backup was from the city sewer.

JTR,

Check your Insurance settlement check and policy... It is possible that if you get paid by NYC, that the insurance company will want their $2,700 back (since you were reimbursed by NYC).

Theoretically, you should settle for 100% with NYC and give back the $2,700 to the insurance company (if they are not already involved in your negotiations with NYC).

Good Luck,
-Bill

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having been on the *official* side of many natural disasters, I've always been amazed at how people help out when the chips are down for their neighbors, some of whom they don't even know. The good is truly a blessing :)