Osram 64650

swampgator

Enlightened
Anyone have any info on this bulb? I found this:

ITEM NUMBER: OSRAM 64650
DESCRIPTION: BulbMatrix Value Priced Replacement: 64650 OSRAM BRAND 50W 22.8V G6.35-15 HALOGEN MEDICAL & SURGICAL ALB310

I got a few free a week or so ago and I'm trying to decide what to do with them.

mdocod

Flashaholic
find a way to get 26V to it and you might have something... how bout the 28V li-ion packs found in them power tools... I've heard they run more like 26V, true?

From what I looked up, they are 700 hour bulbs at 22.8V, which isn't going to be all that exciting, need to crank it up to make it worth while....

to be honest, for a 50W mod, there are much easier ways to go about it (lower voltage bulb) that involve a lot less cells and a lot less hastle, the cost of the lower voltage bulb would be nothing in comparison to the cost of a power solution to run that thing at ~26V.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yeah, I didn't say much because needing that high of voltage just for a 50W bulb is not an ideal scenario. The batteries to get there will be way more $$$ than all the bulbs you have, if you had bought them.

swampgator

Enlightened
Thanks.

These came from a surgical light that our department had to dispose of. I have the whole light assembly including the transformer. Guess I'll get wire the transformer and use it as general purpose shop light.

Again, many thanks.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might be good for a larger Thor-type searchlight if you're "dying" for a project and you can get the voltage needed.

This lamp's efficiency number looks decent (appx. 22.0 lumens per watt at spec voltage); if you bump it to 30 volts you're looking at about 77 watts of power consumption and 2874 bulb lumens.

Five 6-volt SLA batteries might work well...