replacement 5mm leds for coin cell lights

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
Where might I find some bright ones? I have some JELED's 50mcd (white)that another CPF member sold me a while ago, but I am looking for something brighter.

I have some coincell lights from DAE and they absoulutely blow my latest upgrade out of the water... completely lights up a bedroom at night.

any help would be appreciated-

Thanks,

Rod

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
From what I understand, the JELEDs you mention are about as bright a 5mm LED as there is out there right now, though I'm not an expert on 5mm LEDs. I have some of the '55k' JELEDs bought off of Ebay and they are quite bright, though not the nicest looking beam or color. I've heard of some new Nichia's I think for the new Photon light, but I don't know if you can even buy those right now.

Maybe the coincell lights you mention are brighter because they're being driven harder? Maybe 2x 3V coincells vs. 1x coincell? Better cells? You could measure current between the lights you are comparing and see if they're really that much brighter, or just being driven a lot harder. P.S. - what's DAE?

Last edited:

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
JELED 55ks are still the best bang for the buck, IMHO. Hopefully they release a new updated version soon.

Ms_SS

Enlightened
There are several different 5mm LEDs available at the Sandwich Shoppe.
SMJ 4-die, Nichia, MJLED uncut and cutdown.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Nichia DS has about twice the efficiency/output of the Nichia CS. The only light I've heard of that uses it is the new Arc AAA DS. If I manage to find a source, it could be fun to try them out.