Fenix vs Surefire (help me pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountsj

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm Brand new to this site and need some of your opinions. I'm looking to get a new flashlight and have it narrowed down to 2. The Surefire 6P LED and the Fenix P3D w/Rebel LED. Besides the price difference (cause I know the surefire is more) what are the pros and cons of these lights? Which one should I get? I basically just want a very bright light for everyday use. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy crap. This should be a fun ride:party:

Welcome to CPF:thumbsup:

If I only picked a single light to use and was offered the choices that you have listed, I would select the Surefire 6P LED. Surefire lights are rock solid and are some of the finest production lights that money can buy.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix has more modes, is brighter, and has a more efficient driver.

The Surefire is a solid and simple to use light.

If it will just be for daily use, I'd go for the P3D-Rebel 100.

If you need it to work every time in any situation with no doubts, go for the 6PL.

How about the slightly bigger Olight T20 Q5 instead of the P3D? It has a thicker body and can use 17670 3.7v rechargeable batteries. It also has more throw then the P3D.

:welcome:

Lightdude

Newly Enlightened
I like both but would go with the Fenix because of variable brightness. But if you plan on beating the hell out of your light, SUREFIRE!

Numbers

Enlightened
How many lights do you intend to own? If it's just a few then go for quality SF. If it's going to be a bunch then you can afford to have some of each.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
If you can get both, get both as you will then have a lot of flexibility and 2 lights are better than one.

If you can only get one and you need reliable as reliable can be, get Surefire.

I don't abuse my lights and I have both Fenix and Surefire. I've had one Fenix fail on me but never a Surefire. I use Fenix more now in work, but I keep a Surefire as backup to it.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
BUY BOTH!!!

But that's not always possible...

How long do you want the light to last?
Battery type?
Cost?
What environments will the light be seeing?
Size?

Grun

Newly Enlightened
Go for the Surefire. I have been a Fenix user for a while, but would surely fly with the Surefire. Fantastic light!

robo21

Enlightened
Unfortunately the LED technology won't, so I pick the cheaper ones because I'll buy new models more frequently :nana:

:laughing: The cool thing about Surefire is that there are several vendors selling the newer technology upgrades to drop in to this light. Rather than tossing the cheap light you can upgrade the high quality light.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:welcome:

What do you mean "everyday use" exactly? IMO, deciding between the two would partly depend on how much money you're willing to spend, what size of light you're willing to carry, whether you'd have a real need for multiple "modes", etc. Then there are other considerations including overall quality, reliability, warranty, perceived value, place of manufacture, looks, etc. From what I've seen, some of the latter is what ruffles feathers most when someone asks "Fenix or SF"?

I personally own several Fenix, and quite a few SF's as well. They both have their place in my EDC, and depending on what I'm doing I'll pick one over the other. There really isn't a single good answer for me.

Hi All,

I'm Brand new to this site and need some of your opinions. I'm looking to get a new flashlight and have it narrowed down to 2. The Surefire 6P LED and the Fenix P3D w/Rebel LED. Besides the price difference (cause I know the surefire is more) what are the pros and cons of these lights? Which one should I get? I basically just want a very bright light for everyday use. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff

robo21

Enlightened
Is there a smiley for opening a can of worms?

:D
:crackup: Yes there sure is! Actually, take your pick:

This:
hitfan.gif

Or This:
ugly.jpg

Siskik

Newly Enlightened
If you buy the Fenix, and see what a neat light it is, then you will buy the Surefire to see what exquisite craftmanship is.
If your smart, you will buy the Surefire L1 first, and feel confident that you have pretty much one the best flashlights there is. Unless, of course, you get a custom made Surefire, like the ML1, which IMO, is the best flashlight on the planet.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither has yet to fail me. My personal view of Fenix vs. Surefire is the following. If you're walking around in everyday situations such as your nightly walk around the neighborhood and you happen to drop your Fenix to the sidewalk, it most likely will survive. If you are hiking in the mountains and there is a chance you might drop your flashlight and it bounces off a couple of rocks and drops 20 feet below, I'm taking my Surefire.

It's a very valid point for us on a limited budget in buying a Fenix now and having the cash or ability to accumulate such so that you can buy the upgraded Fenix six to twelve months later. For myself that is why I have to choose my Surefires very carefully. I haven't purchased one in a couple of years but most likely will buy a G2L for the car in anticipation it will ride in the glove box ready for use for the next five to ten years or more. My current around the house LED lights though are Fenix's. Sooner or later I will buy a Rebel 100 version simply because I think I'll find the beam color pleasing. It does seem Fenix rules in the efficiency department.

Status
Not open for further replies.