Jetbeam        
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dereelight DBS review!

Default Dereelight DBS review!

Today I stopped by the post office to inquire if they had a package for me. The postman checked around and didn't see anything, so I left. I was in my car when he ran out with a package, he found it!

Inside the shipping box I found a familiar Dereelight black box, which has a neat flip top lid that magnets shut. Inside the DBS, an optional OP reflector, and spare parts (o-rings, tail-stand rubber tail cap, and even a spare switch). I also had received a spare 3-stage module for my CL1H.

Here is the box:

Here is a picture of everything but the spare module:

Ther first thing I did was pop in a fully charge AW protected 18650 and fire it up. Nice tight and very bright hot spot! I grabbed my Sekonic 408 meter and took an EV reading at 1 meter, at ISO 100, 13.4! I was hoping for an EV over 13, as Sekonic's chart shows 13 as being 20,480 LUX! 13.5 EV would be 28,900 LUX, so the DBS was in the 27,000 neighborhood, just as Dereelight claimed! I will do further readings when I receive a LUX meter from DX, hope it's fairly accurate.

Here's Sekonic's chart for reference: http://www.sekonic.com/support/support_2.asp

Now I was anxious for night fall so I could try this outside! I drove out to the state park, to the big lake, where it's about as dark as I can find around my area. I haven't been able to verify the distance too well since Google Earth doesn't have a very clear shot of the lake. However, I think I found where I was and the distance is around 600 feet. I took an exposure at ISO 100, daylight white balance, 10 seconds, and f2.8. The beam and spot are a bit brighter than they were to the eye. Unfortunately I don't have another thrower, like an MRV, Tiablo, etc, to compare, but I did compare to my Dereelight CL1H.

DBS 3-stage Q4 on MAX, click any of the photos for a high res version:

Dereelight CL1H v2.0 same 3-stage Q4 module on MAX:

I plan on trying to get more real world beam shots later. Now, some white wall beam shots for the white wall hunters. All shots at 1 meter, ISO 100, 1/20th, f2.8, daylight WB, unless specified otherwise.

DBS 3-Stage SMO MAX:

DBS 3-Stage SMO MEDIUM:

DBS 3-Stage SMO LOW:

Smooth reflector has plenty of rings, but a killer hot spot that really throws! Next I put in the orange peel reflector, and I was impressed!

DBS 3-Stage OP MAX:

DBS 3-Stage OP MEDIUM:

DBS 3-Stage OP LOW:

Okay, now for some pictures of the light itself, individual parts, etc!

The DBS:

DBS compared to CL1H v2.0:

OP installed:

Here is the DBS dissasembled. Notice how there are double o-ring seals one each connecting part. The o-rings are more substantial than those found on the CL1H v2.0, but I hear the CL1H v3.0 will have more substantial o-rings as well. There is a single o-ring where the reflector meets the front glass lens.

Close up of bezel with reflector and module installed. All 3 pieces come apart:

Other half of the head that the reflector drops into and the bezel screws onto:

Inside of bezel, a single o-ring is between the glass and the front lip of the bezel. The o-ring is a bit smaller than the recessed area it should lay in and I had some problems when it came out when I was changing reflectors. I found a trick though, just lay it in the best you can, put the glass over it carefully, then screw the reflector in until there is slight pressure from the glass pressing against the o-ring. You then run a finger nail, or whatever, around and push the o-ring into the recess, increasing pressure on the glass by screwing the reflector in more if needed, and it quickly falls into place and you can proceed to tighten down the reflector to press the glass firmly against the o-ring. It's a nice thick piece of glass, I need to try to get a better shot of just the glass lens sometime, the shots I took were blurry and I didn't notice at the time I was taking them:

Side view of bezel:

Why not, blurry shot of the glass, you can kinda get the idea:

The battery tube / body tube, notice double o-rings on each end, nice thick threads:

Inside of tailcap, haven't cleaned anything yet:

Rear view of tailcap showing GITD tail switch cover. There is also a lower profile black tail switch cover that will allow the DBS to tail stand:

Side view of tailcap:

Spare parts, o-rings, low profile tail switch cover, and spare tail switch:

Here is a close up shot, a bit over exposed, of the 3-Stage Q4 module:

The 3-stage module offers HIGH, MEDIUM, and LOW. It was designed to offer very flat regulation. Unlike other lights I have, this module goes in order HIGH, MEDIUM, LOW, HIGH, MEDIUM, LOW, etc. Rather than LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH. The DBS, like the CL1H, has a forward clicky, so you can have momentary on, or fully press to lock on. To select modes you push forward and release in under 1 second and when you get the mode you want you either hold for 1 second, or lock it on. The module will remember the last mode you used and return to it when you turn the flashlight back on. I like this set up, and it's nice having a true forward clicky switch, like a Maglite.

Here is a rear view of the module:

The great thing about the DBS, and the CL1H, is these modules are interchangable. Dereelight offers a 2-stage Q2, a 5-stage Q2, and the new 3-stage Q4 modules. If using a 2-stage HIGH/LOW module in the DBS it works just like the CL1H by twisting the body and head to switch from LOW to HIGH. So if you want a tactical style set up you can lock the light on HIGH and use the forward clicky to signal since it acts like a momentary on if you don't press all the way and lock it on with a click. The 5-stage Q2 has LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH, STROBE, and SOS.

The 3-stage offers the most output with the Q4.

Here is a shot of the OP and SMO reflectors:

Shot of the SMO reflector:

Shot of the OP reflector:

DBS with SMO installed:

My overall impression of the light so far is excellent. Like I said I wish I had a Tiablo A9S Q5 WC to compare it too, but it sounds like from the LUX readings it should out throw the Tiablo! Dereelight has another great light for anyone who wants more throw.

For ordering information you can check out http://www.dereelight.com

Or their topic on CPF Marketplace:
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=169676

There is a run time graph of the 3-stage module there.

Alan from Dereelight is great to deal with and I have ordered directly from him twice now. I believe Lighthound.com also carries Dereelight products if you are looking for a US based dealer.

I can't wait to use this light more out doors. It's a BLAST. I'm also impressed at the size since it isn't a whole lot larger than the CL1H. Easy to carry in larger pocket, and I even just put it in my left front jeans pocket with easy. I can feel it in there, but it isn't bad. It also comes with a lanyard.

If anyone has any questions or wants me to provide more details about whatever, just let me know. Hope everyone enjoyed the pictures, I'm going to go pass out now.
    Last edited by WadeF; 10-12-2007 at 10:02 PM.
    Facebook: Wade Fulp - Follow me on Twitter! @flashlightguy and my main feed @WadeFulp Google+ PROFILE

Default Re: Dereelight DBS review!

very nice pictures and beam, great job.
    we make a difference

Wade, this is a very well done review and nice pics. Nice job! Thank you. I wish you had a Tiablo A9 to test as well.
    Robin

+

Fantastic Wade!!
    The pills look of great quality *****
    How do you like the reflector screwing in compared to the CL1H drop-in?
    Does the switch stick out like the CL1H, I have zero interest in tailstanding anything, and is it me or is the tailcap slightly darker ~ looks kinda custom.

Last edited by orbital; 10-12-2007 at 10:31 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by robo21 View Post
    Wade, this is a very well done review and nice pics. Nice job! Thank you. I wish you had a Tiablo A9 to test as well.
    Hope on a plane with your Tiablo and come over for a duel. Hehe. Anyone near Perkasie, PA (Bucks County) that has a Tiablo A9 Q5 WC?

It's after midnight, but I went out to take a beam shot in my back yard. I live in town, so there is light pollution everywhere. From my back yard the farthest target (that isn't someone's home) is a tree on the other side of a building that is 300 feet from where I was:

Facebook: Wade Fulp - Follow me on Twitter! @flashlightguy and my main feed @WadeFulp Google+ PROFILE

Nice review, Wade!

As expected, you didn't let us down when it came to those sweet, sweet pics!
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

Fantastic Wade!!
    The pills look of great quality *****
    How do you like the reflector screwing in compared to the CL1H drop-in?
    Does the switch stick out as compared to the CL1H, I have zero interest in tailstanding anything, and is it me or is the tailcap slightly darker ~ looks kinda custom.

Thanks orbital. The pills are great quality! I like the reflector screwing in, everything is solidly held in place, and it probably helps with heat transfer.

You know, I didn't notice it until you said it, but it looks like the tail cap is slightly darker than the rest of the light. It depends on how the light hits it. Maybe a different HA batch? Not a big deal for me.

The GITD tailcap protrudes every so slightly, not as much as the CL1H. The area around the tail switch appear to be a little more open on the DBS. Maybe Alan can offer a rubber tail cap, or something, that allows it to stick out farther for those who want something like that. The GITD sticks out just enough to prevent tail standing.

I should also mention there is a slight audible noise, like a ringing (sorta like an electric camera flash charging) when the 3-stage is on MEDIUM and LOW, but I have to have the flashlight about a foot or closer to my ear to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Nice review, Wade!

As expected, you didn't let us down when it came to those sweet, sweet pics!
    Thanks Monocrom, I try. So when are you ordering one? :P You might find the CL1H more useful as a duty light, since it has a nice clip, and is a bit smaller. The CL1H with the new 3-Stage Q4 module and a smooth reflector is a pretty potent thrower for it's size.

Quote Originally Posted by WadeF View Post
    Thanks Monocrom, I try. So when are you ordering one? :P You might find the CL1H more useful as a duty light, since it has a nice clip, and is a bit smaller. The CL1H with the new 3-Stage Q4 module and a smooth reflector is a pretty potent thrower for it's size.
    Must admit that the CL1H model would likely be a better fit for me than the DBS. Most likely going to get it before the Holidays roll around.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

+

Would you rate this as a Super Thrower?
    Meaning,...is the throw in the holy $hit category

Again, thanks for a super review!!

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

Would you rate this as a Super Thrower?
    Meaning,...is the throw in the holy $hit category

Again, thanks for a super review!!

Compared to the other LED lights I have, yes, it's a super thrower. I think for a CREE LED with a reflector it is about as good as it gets right now.

The nice thing with the Dereelight is if they offer a pill with a better emitter, say R-bin CREE's next year, etc, you just buy the pill $20-30 usually, and you have an upgraded light.

AWESOME REVIEW!! Thanks Wade!

Any idea how much more throw you would get out of the SMO over the OP? The slight ring on the SMO beam shot you wouldn't notice in real life, correct?

Anuyone know if the DBS would out throw a large D or C cell maglite?

Thanks again for the great review!

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Dogshund View Post
    AWESOME REVIEW!! Thanks Wade!

Any idea how much more throw you would get out of the SMO over the OP? The slight ring on the SMO beam shot you wouldn't notice in real life, correct?

Thanks again for the great review!

Regards,
    Thanks Dogshund. I'm sure the SMO will out throw the OP, but I haven't tested by how much. I will try to get more LUX readings soon.

I have a 6D Maglite with a Xenon bulb, so I could do a comparision.

Beauty! That would be great thanks!!

Would like to convince and convert a few LEO mates of mine into this addictive Flashlight world!
    Cant see why they would wanna lug a huge maglite around all day when they can get better performance and runtimes with a quality led, that weighs half the amount and half the size!

Regards,

+

DBS arrived today , +1 everything Wade said!!
    The construction is fantastic and you must see this reflector, it looks more like a NASA amplification chamber....

Test tonight

Flashaholic

Impressive... Most impressive!

Now, that´s what I call a deep reflector!

Judged from your pics, build quality seems to be also top-notch... Look alone at this LE-pill

Seth
    On the light side of life

Was playing around in photoshop, not perfect, but:

Saw some deer in a field, well, didn't see them until I turned on the DBS. There are almost always deer in this field, you can click to view a larger resolution file, and zoom in. It was a longer exposure so the deer blured a bit as it moved around, there was only one in the beam, looks like two.

Quote Originally Posted by WadeF View Post
    Hope on a plane with your Tiablo and come over for a duel. Hehe. Anyone near Perkasie, PA (Bucks County) that has a Tiablo A9 Q5 WC?

It's after midnight, but I went out to take a beam shot in my back yard. I live in town, so there is light pollution everywhere. From my back yard the farthest target (that isn't someone's home) is a tree on the other side of a building that is 300 feet from where I was:

Ok, I'll hop on a plane Wade. Damn, I forgot, we'll have to wait for my smooth reflector to arrive though. The DBS looks awesome!
    Robin

Flashaholic*

Wow, thanks for a great review and great pics! Wouldnt surprise me if Dereelight themselfs wanted to use them.

And damn you for wanting me having this light!
    I knew I shouldnt check in on cpf again...

Oh, and if that isn't a deer in the headlightpic, then I dont know what.
    Awesome!

It's a great light, and Alan from Dereelight is great to deal with. He obviously has a passion for making great lights. The nice thing is they are always trying to develope better modules as they get their hands on better LED's. So you can keep upgrading your light for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Sorry if this was already covered, and I just missed it.... But what type of tailcap switch does the DBS use. I don't think I've ever seen a GITD tailcap switch that wasn't a reverse-clickie. Is that what it is? What about the optional tailcap switch?

Also, I'm noticing a lot of similarities between Dereelights and Lumapower lights.

Flashaholic*

"The DBS, like the CL1H, has a forward clicky, so you can have momentary on, or fully press to lock on. To select modes you push forward and release in under 1 second and when you get the mode you want you either hold for 1 second, or lock it on. The module will remember the last mode you used and return to it when you turn the flashlight back on. I like this set up, and it's nice having a true forward clicky switch, like a Maglite. "

Hope that helps.

Wow! Looks like a incredible light! Thanks for taking the time to post the shots. I may have to put the 6pl on hold to grab one of these.

Thanks again!
    "I only smile in the dark...my only comfort is the night gone black..."lyrics from Garbage

Some new info! I re-charged my AW 18650's and took meter readings from the DBS and CL1H V2.0 with 3-stage Q4 modules, smooth reflectors.

Meter set to ISO 100, reading taken at exactly 1 meter:

The DBS gave a max reading of 13.6EV!

The CL1H gave me a reading of 12.2EV!

Sekonic's website has a conversion to LUX chart, and they list 13.5 EV to be 28,900 LUX. 13.6 would be a little over that, and would seem to confirm FASTCAR's reading of 30,000LUX! 30,000LUX!

As for the CL1H, lightreviews.info rated it at 7990 LUX with the 5-stage and smooth reflector. With the new Q4 3-stage module installed, and smooth reflector, the reading was 12.2EV. On Sekonic's chart 12EV is 10,240LUX and 12.5EV is 14,400LUX, so it's probably in the 11,000-12,000LUX range! That's a decent gain for a small light.

My 6D Maglite with Xenon bulb was giving me 13.7EV! The question is, does the reflector in the DBS out perform the reflector in the Maglite? I'm going to try some test beam shots now, but I may need to find a farther target to know for sure.

Okay, here are some beamshots comparing a Maglite 6D with Xenon bulb with fresh Duracell D's, the DBS 3-stage, and CL1H 3-stage, all with smooth reflectors. All exposures the same, ISO 100, f/5.2, 10 seconds.

First up is the 6D, but this is daylight balance so it looks extra warm, the target is the tree behind the building (top middle) which is actually dark with no flashlight on it. It's about 250-300 feet away. There is a lot of light pollution in the foreground. I want to repeat this test out at the lake sometime.

6D Mag WB: Daylight

6D Mag WB: Incan

Dereelight DBS 3-Stage Q4 WB: Daylight (I think the DBS takes the 6D!)

Dereelight CL1H 3-stage Q4 WB: Daylight (while it doesn't hold up to the DBS, this little light still throws like crazy for it's size class!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogshund View Post
    Check out the pics. It's close between a 6D and the DBS, but I think the DBS edges it out, at least at 300 feet. I'm thinking the DBS would have more of an advantage at an even longer distance since the MAG has a more scattered beam. Forget 5D's and smaller, the DBS will eat them for breakfast.

Do they have any plans for a Q5 model?

HOLY CRAP...look at all those pics!!!!! a cheers to you WadeF for the time spent in writing this up!!

i might just have to get one of these....

THANKS WADE!!

Both your and FASTCAR's reviews have sold me on this light for sure!

Hope the black version is released soon and i'll be buying myself an early Birthday present!

Thanks for the comparison photos also. Dont worry guys, I will convert more to this flashlight world!!

Thanks Wade, Your excellent review(and pictures) pushed me over the edge. I finally ordered the DBS with 3 stage module. I look forward to comparing it with the MRV and A9.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast