Lithium powered motorcycle almost kills inventor

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I understand correctly he wasn't wearing protection because he did not intend for the bike to move. He just wanted to do a show-off burnout, but something didn't go right and he shot off (and holy cow, the acceleration on that thing never fails to amaze me!).

Scattergun

Enlightened
Now we want to see a flashlight made from the batterypack of that cycle!! :twothumbs

WNG

Enlightened
Intelligence, doesn't equate to common sense.

Wow..He's VERY lucky.
400 HP, concrete surface, wide drag slick, no helmet, no body armor, no leathers...really, did he think a little Dawn dishwashing detergent will prevent that bike from a holeshot?

For demos, they should have incorporated a low output mode into the drive electronics. More than enough power to do a silly burnout.

I once worked for a company in Cambridge that was developing an 700 HP hybrid-electric drivetrain for a Chrysler Lemans race car. All kinds of hurdles...attempting to liquid-cool the motor, inverters exploding, banks of capacitors smoking during dyno pulls, mag bearing levitated flywheel storage system.
It never made it to a full running prototype. And when BMW's similar system grenaded itself and killed an engineer, the fat lady sang at Chrysler.

Bort

Newly Enlightened
I guess it gives new meaning to the term " Lithium thermal runaway" .
(Sorry, I couldn't help that one.)

Intelligence, doesn't equate to common sense.

Wow..He's VERY lucky.
400 HP, concrete surface, wide drag slick, no helmet, no body armor, no leathers...really, did he think a little Dawn dishwashing detergent will prevent that bike from a holeshot?

For demos, they should have incorporated a low output mode into the drive electronics. More than enough power to do a silly burnout.

I once worked for a company in Cambridge that was developing an 700 HP hybrid-electric drivetrain for a Chrysler Lemans race car. All kinds of hurdles...attempting to liquid-cool the motor, inverters exploding, banks of capacitors smoking during dyno pulls, mag bearing levitated flywheel storage system.

Right on. I would think that he has a new found respect for serious horsepower.