"Obsolete" Fluorescent Lamp Ballast

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this old ballast in the back of a drawer in the air conditioning tool room at my school. Since it was old and most of the lights in the building were already switched over to electronic ballast and T8 lamps, I talked Ron into letting me keep this old ballast.

Since it says it could do 32 watt tubes, I decided to see if it could fire off a Sylvania Octron FO32T8 841 tube I have although T8 tubes normally work on electronic ballasts. The wires were just twisted onto the pins and the "starter" was just two bare wires I had to touch together then separate in the same manner as some desk lamps where you have to hold the button down to start the lamp. The ballast didn't seem to have enough "kick" to get the T8 tube going at first but after quickly tapping the wires together many times, I finally did get it going. Ignore my toe in the first picture.:grin2:

Fluorescent1.jpg

Fluorescent2.jpg

In this day and age of Electronic Instant-Start ballasts, who still remembers the old "flash, flash, flash, on" and the 60 hz buzz and flickering tubes ?
I'll look around to see if I have a FS-4 starter and a "starter socket".

Also, anyone know where I can find electronic "quick starters" in the US ? They seem to be more popular in other countries, especially Australia.
http://users.tpg.com.au/pschamb/light.html

BTW, I wonder if there's PCB oil in this thing. It does not have a "No PCBs" lable on it.:thinking:

Torque1st

Enlightened
Any real hardware store should have the standard starters and sockets for them. I have no idea where you would get an electronic unit.

It looks to new to have PCBs. PCBs were eliminated in any new manufacturing long ago. The unit may have a date code.

dave w

Newly Enlightened
I found this old ballast in the back of a drawer BTW, I wonder if there's PCB oil in this thing. It does not have a "No PCBs" lable on it.:thinking:
FWIW
I'm probably wrong on this but I thought PCB's were only found in the big power tranformers that used oil for cooling. I don't think PCB's are present in any "dry" transformers.

brickbat

Enlightened
Right, not used in 'dry' transformers, but some ballasts contained power factor correction capacitors that used PCB as a dielectric fluid.