Smallest flashlight by Arc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailint

Newly Enlightened
What's the smallest flashlight by Arc and how does it compare in brightness with a Modamag Draco (Q4-Q5)?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
The Arc AAA I guess.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Ones very expensive, ones not. One runs on Li-Ion, one runs on everyday AAA's. One uses a Seoul/Cree emitter, one uses a Nichia.

The Draco is gonna be brighter, but it should be by design.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the smallest flashlight by Arc and how does it compare in brightness with a Modamag Draco (Q4-Q5)?

I noticed that you started quite a few threads all asking what the smallest light is made by a specific manufacturer and how it compares to the Modamag Draco. It would have gotten you much more responses if you had posted this in the LED forum and in a single post asking "What lights compare to the Draco".

To answer your question there are very few (if any) lights that really compare to a Modamag Draco. I guess your best bet would be one of the Orb models. They compare to it in size and output but don't have any sort of regulation, or even circuitry for that matter. Most of them direct drive the LED which is much less desirable than having a current regulation circuit like the Draco.
The only other light that compares to the Draco is a miller mods ARC AAAP. It uses a single AAA cell and has less output since it doesn't overdrive the LED (only around 300-450 ma on high), but it will have very good runtime on all levels.

Personally I think the Miller Mods AAAP is a better all around light than the Draco mainly because it uses common AAA cells and not a rare Lithium Ion cell that has a pretty small capacity.

mailint

Newly Enlightened
It uses a single AAA cell and has less output since it doesn't overdrive the LED (only around 300-450 ma on high), but it will have very good runtime on all levels.

About overdriving the LEDs, doesn't the Cree XRE have a within-the-specifications current of 350-1000mA?

mailint

Newly Enlightened
I found comparative beamshots of the Draco vs Arc AAA here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=144766

Doesn't the Arc AAA seems ridicolous compared to the Draco, being even bigger than the Draco?!

7arcaaalt6.jpg

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
About overdriving the LEDs, doesn't the Cree XRE have a within-the-specifications current of 350-1000mA?

Yes that is true, however the cell in the draco has a very small capacity so the runtime on high will be quite short.

About the comparison pics between the Draco and the stock AAAP. Obviously the Draco is going to smash it in terms of brightness. The AAAP runs a single 5mm Nichia LED at a pretty low current and is only around 6 lumens. The Draco runs a Cree at a pretty good current which in turn delivers ALOT of light!
The Miller Mods AAAP offers two levels one of which will be about as bright as the stock AAAP, and the other level will be VERY bright!

It seems you have already made up your mind about this light so you might as well buy the Draco. Just keep in mind that if your batteries run out when you are away from a charger that you are pretty much stuck. I've always found lights that use common primary cells to be the way to go, whether they are AAA/AA/CR123.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime really isn't an issue on the Draco because it has multiple configurable levels.

Groundhog66

Banned
Absurd comparison to say the least:duh2:

Both are great lights, but they certainly do not compare. That being said, I own both and love 'em.

Tim

B@rt

Flashaholic
mailint, please ask this question ONCE in LED for all the brands you thought it was needed to start a thread about.... :ironic:
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.