Fenix P2D: RB100 or Q5

VVR

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of buying a Fenix P2D at the Fenix store, but I can't see much difference on these two lights.

Wich one should I get???

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Get the Rebel 100, the Q5 isn't that much brighter.

Also, save 8% by using the "CPF8" coupon at fenix store.

Edit: now that I notice there are stock Q5 versions of the light, I would say Q5 if you want the brightest.

Last edited:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll get a bit more output with the Q5 (but your eye may not notice it truthfully) I see more difference with tint. My Rebel P3D has a ever so slight rose tint and my Q5 seems whiter to my eye. With that said others have posted that their Q5's are greenish in tint, so you can never tell. I don't think you would be going wrong whichever you choose. Or you could be like me and just get one of each.:laughing:

And the Fenix store has both now.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I had to make this choice when I ordered my L2D-RB100 ~10 days ago. Now there's a L2D-CE Q5 for the same price... :shrug: Not sure which one I would have picked if given the choice for either.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
is that the 2aa in q5?
its out!
i was just looking at the rebel but i think i want the q5 instead.
woo hoo!

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the L2D head work on the L1D body? I don't like the size of the 2 AA Fenix lights but I love the size of the 1 AA lights. I would like to run 1 AA w/the Q5.

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a P2B RB100 days ago and I'm still waiting for it to arrive to my home... can I know the "various reasons"?

My P2D flashed very brightly between mode changes. I basically got a taste of turbo mode between each mode change. Also, the switch quit working.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
all the q5s and r100s are out.
there are a ton of options now.
https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_65&osCsid=5fe315358271a945c2d10159f0d34cdf

this is the special page for those two led's. wow.
i bought two l2ds, one of each and will probably just choose between them what i like better. then sell off the other one AND my old l2d ce.

expensive hobby.

any input on which one i will like better.
does it depend on the tint lottery?

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the L2D head work on the L1D body? I don't like the size of the 2 AA Fenix lights but I love the size of the 1 AA lights. I would like to run 1 AA w/the Q5.

It fits, but it loses all the benefits of a premium light with only a single AA battery. You lose Turbo mode basically, and then you have to step through the levels to get to High. To get the premium performance in a single cell, you need to go with a P2D100 or Q5.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
...any input on which one i will like better.
does it depend on the tint lottery?

The only real difference would be that it's easier to upgrade the Cree LED. However, it was around $65 to have fenixstore.com do a Q5 upgrade on your old light and it looks a lot easier to just wait and buy the Q5 production model. If you feel like you could do your own upgrade, the Q5 version would be a good pick.

What do you think ? R bins by Xmas ?

Flash007

Enlightened
I want to buy a P2D Cree Q5, but only if it's a selected WC bin.

I don't want to play with the led tint lottery.

I have many flashlights, but some have bad tint, so I don't like to use them.

I'll buy only selected premium bin in the future.

I hope that manufacturers/sellers have heard me.

moses

Enlightened
I've not tested the P2D Q5 but here's my best informed guess.

I prefer the Rebel 100 that I have for these reasons:

1. I prefer the tint of the Rebel.
2. Rebel has lower Vf and hence, should offer two significant advantages: On a L1D body with one AA, I'm almost sure that the Rebel 100 will be noticeably brighter. It will also offer longer battery life being more efficient in total watts consumed.

HOWEVER, if you are running on turbo for extended periods all the time, the Q5 has better heatsinking ability and should be more durable. The difference may be moot though given that the Rebel does just fine.

So, for me, it's the Rebel 100. Anyone want to get rid of your Rebel 100 for cheap now that the Q5 is out....:)? Gimme a holler via PM.

Moses

Last edited:

mailint

Newly Enlightened
My P2D flashed very brightly between mode changes. I basically got a taste of turbo mode between each mode change. Also, the switch quit working.

Very good! I knew this and it was a *positive* factor in my choice :)