Looking for a Quality AA or AAA Flashlight

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
After reading countless threads on CPF, I wonder if I'm looking for a flashlight that doesn't exist (yet).

I'm trying to find a flashlight that is very similar to a Novatac EDC-85/120, except:
* Can use a single Eneloop AA or AAA battery
* Has a beautiful, white, "all flood" beam
* Is less expensive than a Novatac
* Is available from a highly-respected U.S. dealer (without using PayPal)

Although one of the primary uses would be walking around a dark house at night, it would be nice if it could be used for other purposes, as well. Thus, a two-level or three-level light (which always starts on low and can be turned off instantly from any level) would probably be preferable to a one-level light.

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading countless threads on CPF, I wonder if I'm looking for a flashlight that doesn't exist (yet). I'm trying to find a flashlight that is very similar to a Novatac, except: * Can use a single Eneloop AA or AAA battery * Has a beautiful, white, "all flood" beam * Is less expensive than a Novatac * Is available from a highly-respected U.S. dealer (without using PayPal) Although one of the primary uses would be walking around a dark house at night, it would be nice if it could be used for other purposes, as well. Thus, a two-level or three-level light (which always starts on low and can be turned off instantly from any level) would probably be preferable to a one-level light.

PEAK sounds close to what you're after. I'm not that into them so I dont know that much about them, but they do seem to make some outstanding lights and are very highly regarded by many members here.

Or the everpopular Fenixs, but I guess that you allready checked them out if you've been reading these forums.

Last edited:

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
PEAK sounds close to what you're after. I'm not that into them so I dont know that much about them, but they do seem to make some outstanding lights and are very highly regarded by many members here.

Or the everpopular Fenixs, but I guess that you allready checked them out if you've been reading these forums.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Peak Flashlights
I have looked at the Peak LED Solutions web site, but didn't find it to be very useful/informative. (If they have great flashlights, it's a shame they don't have an equally impressive/useful web site to showcase their products):
* Do you know of any authorized dealers that list detailed specs for each Peak flashlight?
* Are all of the newest Peak flashlights twisties rather than clickies?

Fenix Flashlights
I have also looked at the Fenix product line. I assume the closest match to my requirements is the new Fenix L1T v2.0:
* I was hoping to find a flashlight with a no-slip grip. (I think some people have complained that Fenix flashlights can be slippery if your hands are sweaty/wet.) Has Fenix improved the grip on their latest flashlights?
* Is an Eneloop battery an optimal solution for the Fenix L1T v2.0?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy FlashlightFun, and welcome to CPF,
I think the Fenix L1D-CE (with the textured reflector) comes pretty close to what you are looking for:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product...id=70&osCsid=2aa4b9f0220a2ce4028303bd3a46f786

It has 2 modes. In one mode, it will always come on in low, and advance to medium, then high... and can be instantly clicked off from any mode. In the 2nd mode (changed by turning the front of the light slightly) it will always come on in Turbo. With the textured reflector, it will give a nice smooth beam, but still have a bit of throw. You could always put a bit of frosted Scotch tape over the window if it's still got too much throw for your taste.

Also, since you are new to CPF, here are a few flashlight review sites to get you going:

http://www.lightreviews.info/

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/buyers_guide.htm

http://www.cpfreviews.com/

http://flashlightnews.org/

And don't forget to check out the review area here on CPF. Happy hunting!

BytorJr

Newly Enlightened
A few months ago I posted in PEAK's forum that they should have a spreadsheet or something with specs with LUMENS posted. I was all set to spend some $$ with them, but didn't want to deal with having to call them, figure out over the phone real-time what I wanted, etc, etc. It's sad, from what I read it's a good light, but their marketing sucks beyond all belief.

As a consumer, I shouldn't have to call somebody to find out what they make. Perhaps if I wanted a custom light, yes but for a consumable item, NO.

Wake up Peak if you're reading this, and give the people what they want...intelligent, readable, and detailed specs.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Flashlightfun

The main reason that I suggested Peak was that I interpreted that you wanted something else than the usual Fenix-suggestion ("After reading countless threads on CPF, I wonder if I'm looking for a flashlight that doesn't exist"). I really don't know much about Peak other than that they make great quality AA/AAA lights according to others members. The lack of knowledge on my part is due to, yes, you guessed right, their crappy site. :whoopin:

I dont know why, but I was under the impression that you didnt want an asian light (Otherwise I would had recommended a Fenix, they make great lights that suits most needs, and are affordable too). Cause there are thousands of different AA and AAA lights otherwise. But I would still go with Fenix if you're going to use eneloops, nimhs. They are best in test time after time when it comes to efficiency and output with Nimh. And qualitywise I really havent had any problems with my Fenixs. And if you have 4sevens (a dealer here www.fenix-store.com) will always get it right.

The other thing that confused me was that you wanted a light like the novatac, since it's a pretty original concept. The Litefluxline is probably the closest thing youre gonna get (programmingwise), but I dont know if any "respectable" US-dealer sells them. And they are twisties.

About the Peak questions, I dont really know, cause again... sadly their site sucks. But I'm pretty sure they make very robust lights.

About Fenix.
* One word. Grip-tape.
* Yes, they work best on eneloops, NiMH. They actually dont work that well with alkalines, alkalines can't handle the load as well, but they will still work. You could also consider lithiumbatteries.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
I'm happy with my JetBeam and I think it meets all that your looking for, here's the info http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme gear/flashlights main/aa_jet-i_mkii-x.htm

Thanks for the suggestion.

The description of the Jetbeam JET-I MKII X v1.2 Premium Cree Edition interface sounds rather complex. Is it simpler than it looks?

For example, with a Novatac EDC 120, you click once to turn the flashlight on at the lowest brightness level, then click again to turn it off. What steps would you follow to do the same thing with a Jetbeam JET-I MKII X v1.2?

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
Howdy FlashlightFun, and welcome to CPF,
I think the Fenix L1D-CE (with the textured reflector) comes pretty close to what you are looking for:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product...id=70&osCsid=2aa4b9f0220a2ce4028303bd3a46f786

It has 2 modes. In one mode, it will always come on in low, and advance to medium, then high... and can be instantly clicked off from any mode. In the 2nd mode (changed by turning the front of the light slightly) it will always come on in Turbo. With the textured reflector, it will give a nice smooth beam, but still have a bit of throw. You could always put a bit of frosted Scotch tape over the window if it's still got too much throw for your taste.

Also, since you are new to CPF, here are a few flashlight review sites to get you going:

http://www.lightreviews.info/

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/buyers_guide.htm

http://www.cpfreviews.com/

http://flashlightnews.org/

And don't forget to check out the review area here on CPF. Happy hunting!

Thanks for all the information... and the welcome to CPF.

I'm confused. One of the reasons I wasn't considering a Fenix L1D is because a flashlight dealer told me that you can NOT instantly turn a Fenix L1D Rebel off at any brightness level with a click. Your forum post, however, seems to indicate the opposite.

Are all fenix (clicky) multi-level lights the same? In other words, can you instantly turn off all Fenix (clicky) lights with a click no matter what mode/level the flashlight is set to?

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm confused. One of the reasons I wasn't considering a Fenix L1D is because a flashlight dealer told me that you can NOT instantly turn a Fenix L1D Rebel off at any brightness level with a click. Your forum post, however, seems to indicate the opposite.

Are all fenix (clicky) multi-level lights the same? In other words, can you instantly turn off all Fenix (clicky) lights with a click no matter what mode/level the flashlight is set to?

What dealer told you that? That's total BS. Of course you can turn it off with one click. All fenix with clickies can be turned off with one click. I havent used a twistie multilvl Fenix, but I'm pretty sure it's the same with them otherwise I'm sure there would have been LOTS of complaints here.

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
A few months ago I posted in PEAK's forum that they should have a spreadsheet or something with specs with LUMENS posted. I was all set to spend some $$ with them, but didn't want to deal with having to call them, figure out over the phone real-time what I wanted, etc, etc. It's sad, from what I read it's a good light, but their marketing sucks beyond all belief.

As a consumer, I shouldn't have to call somebody to find out what they make. Perhaps if I wanted a custom light, yes but for a consumable item, NO.

Wake up Peak if you're reading this, and give the people what they want...intelligent, readable, and detailed specs.

I wonder how many potential customers take a quick look at the Peak LED Solutions web site and conclude that it will take too much time/effort to attempt to determine if any of the flashlights meet their needs.

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
@Flashlightfun

The main reason that I suggested Peak was that I interpreted that you wanted something else than the usual Fenix-suggestion ("After reading countless threads on CPF, I wonder if I'm looking for a flashlight that doesn't exist"). I really don't know much about Peak other than that they make great quality AA/AAA lights according to others members. The lack of knowledge on my part is due to, yes, you guessed right, their crappy site. :whoopin:

I dont know why, but I was under the impression that you didnt want an asian light (Otherwise I would had recommended a Fenix, they make great lights that suits most needs, and are affordable too). Cause there are thousands of different AA and AAA lights otherwise. But I would still go with Fenix if you're going to use eneloops, nimhs. They are best in test time after time when it comes to efficiency and output with Nimh. And qualitywise I really havent had any problems with my Fenixs. And if you have 4sevens (a dealer here www.fenix-store.com) will always get it right.

The other thing that confused me was that you wanted a light like the novatac, since it's a pretty original concept. The Litefluxline is probably the closest thing youre gonna get (programmingwise), but I dont know if any "respectable" US-dealer sells them. And they are twisties.

About the Peak questions, I dont really know, cause again... sadly their site sucks. But I'm pretty sure they make very robust lights.

About Fenix.
* One word. Grip-tape.
* Yes, they work best on eneloops, NiMH. They actually dont work that well with alkalines, alkalines can't handle the load as well, but they will still work. You could also consider lithiumbatteries.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Thanks for welcoming me to the forums.

Actually, one of the reasons I'm looking for a (relatively decent) quality AA or AAA flashlight at the moment is to find a use for the rechargeable batteries in the Sanyo Eneloop Power Pack I purchased. (It sounds like some forum members are real fans of these batteries.)

My current philosophies regarding item purchases include:
* Getting the best bang for the buck is a good thing
* A few relatively nice things are better than a lot of junk
* Items that will rarely be used probably shouldn't be purchased

With these philosophies in mind, I would probably not be interested in the so-called cheap Asian lights that are often referred to on CPF. (I assume that Fenix flashlights are considered to be in a higher quality category.)

Thanks for providing the (helpful) information regarding Fenix flashlights.

At this point, Peak flashlights are probably out of the running because I hate to reward manufacturers that make it difficult for a consumer to make an informed decision. I do thank you, however, for the suggestion.

Regarding Novatac, I should have been more specific. Although I like many of the features found in Novatac flashlights, I do not like the programming user interface that is used in their P models.

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the Fenix L1D! Great little light. It's not glass smooth, nor is it knurled. I haven't dropped mine yet...

Thanks for the information on the Fenix L1D.

Interestingly, until I purchased a Novatac, I didn't realize how much I like a non-slip grip on a flashlight.

I'm glad to hear that you haven't dropped your Fenix L1D yet. Since I've never held one, I wasn't sure if it would be a problem.

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
What dealer told you that? That's total BS. Of course you can turn it off with one click. All fenix with clickies can be turned off with one click. I havent used a twistie multilvl Fenix, but I'm pretty sure it's the same with them otherwise I'm sure there would have been LOTS of complaints here.

Wow... I'm really glad you took the time to reply to my post. It appears that I was probably given incorrect information on two different Fenix flashlights models.

Interestingly, I couldn't figure out why there weren't LOTS of complaints on CPF if it was true that Fenix flashlights could not be instantly turned off at any point.

Last edited:

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
TNC AA light is definitely a great choice.

Thanks for the TNC AA suggestion.

Unfortunately, I seem to be unable to access their web site at the moment.

If I remember correctly, however, the web site seemed geared toward people who wanted to assemble flashlights from separate components.

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
I'd suggest a Fenix, but that's been done a lot already... What about an Olight T15?

Thanks for the Olight T15 suggestion.

Since it's a fairly new flashlight, there isn't that much information available. Some forum members (such as Fastcar), however, really seem to like it.

Do you, by any chance, have an Olight T15?

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
LRI Proton
review
ALL FLOOD
VARIABLE BRIGHTNESS Starts on high though (white LEDs). Start on low with the red LED. See the review for detailled operating instructions/modes.

There will be a Cree version with more throw/brighter sometime next year.

Last edited: