Malkoff mag3d drop in or surefire e2l?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well which one should I get? Only enough money for one so both is out of the question. :(

Malkoff is just awsome from what I see, friggin bright. But of course the drawback is 3d mag is also friggin heavy/big. It currently have maglite's LED module and is a resident in my jeep. Truth to be told it's quite unlikely I'll ever bring it with me anywhere, because well, it's friggin big/heavy. But then again, the drop in is so awsomely bright.

Surefire is, well, like rolex, you know there are many others performs better and cost less, but no matter what crap you say about it you still secretly want one. It's more expensive than malkoff drop in that's for sure, and I already have a fenix P3D that outperforms it. But again, it's much more likely I'll carry it with me, and it's a surefire.

Decisions, decisions, decisions... :shakehead

Bushman5

Enlightened
if the weight of the Mag is an issue, i HIGHLY recommend getting the Malkoff 2C drop in and a 2C Maglite...its very light, easy to carry in a jacket pocket.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'll be everyday use (probably edc in winter), and when I go hiking/camping etc. I'd prefer to not use the drop in with a 2 cell light thou, as it doesn't fully utilize the potential of it (600ma vs. 1000ma). :naughty:

lightemup

Flashaholic*
To do a watch comparison I look at Surefires as more like G-Shocks ;) i.e. they can take a pounding.

I like maglite, but you already mentioned that you may not actually take your maglite everywhere. If this is the case for me I would lean towards the Surefire.

At the same time i'd suggest checking our a new Cree Surefire L1, they are very nice indeed, and give you two levels of output at a size shorter than the e2L... You won't go wrong either way though...

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The e2l is actually from a guy in cpfmarketplace, so the price is more comparable with malkoff drop in. But he hasn't responded to either reply in thread or email yet, so I'll see how it goes.

The L1 is quite small, I have big hands so l1, and p3d is a tad small to hold comfortably, which is one of the reasons I'm looking at e2l. But hell I'd love a l2, or u2, but I don't have that much spare cash. :(

I just checked surefire website, they don't even ship outside u.s., so even if I want one I'm stuck with the price gouging canadian dealers, which charge 50% to 100% more than u.s. price.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never considered it actually. I already have a palm size great performing small name light (fenix p3d), so I'm not looking for another. That's just the way I buy things, I don't like to have two of the same type.

JamisonM

Enlightened
It'll be everyday use (probably edc in winter), and when I go hiking/camping etc. I'd prefer to not use the drop in with a 2 cell light thou, as it doesn't fully utilize the potential of it (600ma vs. 1000ma). :naughty:
Tough choice. Personally, A 3D maglite isn't that big of a deal to me; ideal even. With Gene's drop-in install It'll run brighter and I'd like to think longer then the other lights mentioned. But, if size really is an issue, a smaller light is a must and would save space while camping. Why not buy Gene's drop-in and use it around the house? You can use your P3D while camping and for EDC. If not, how about looking at other lights in your price range; don't limit yourself to just these two.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I'm leaning toward the surefire, simply because I'll actually use it other than shining it at things and think "oooo it's bright". But then again, I'll probably buy malkoff's too when I have enough cash, heck I already have the UCL lense for mag so why not take it one step further. :grin2:

Tough choice. Personally, A 3D maglite isn't that big of a deal to me; ideal even. With Gene's drop-in install It'll run brighter and I'd like to think longer then the other lights mentioned. But, if size really is an issue, a smaller light is a must and would save space while camping. Why not buy Gene's drop-in and use it around the house? You can use your P3D while camping and for EDC. If not, how about looking at other lights in your price range; don't limit yourself to just these two.

The p3d is a bit small for my hands, and the shape and finish is too slippery, which is why I want the e2l (that and it's a surefire), it looks like a nice shape and won't be slippery. Unfortunately where I live there's just no need for light around the house, with streetlight every two or three houses (one right in front of mine too), and adjancent car dealer lots' super bright lights, I can get around the house/yard without any lights on.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for the E2L.

If general use/EDC is what you intend for the light, then a Maglite 3D seems like a very bad choice. Sure, it'll be bright, but that's not much use in an EDC light if it's too big an bulky to be used effectively. The E2L, on the other hand, will slip into, or clip onto a pocket and remain unobtrusive. Especially if it is the updated E2L with Cree, in which case you are still getting very impressive output, and long runtime to boot.

Regards,
Tempest

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, since you already have the P3D-CE, the main thing the E2L will give you is a tougher light and a dimmer spill.

I would go for the Malkoffdevices drop-in. The Drop-in for times when you need throw and the P3D for medium to close range.

If your P3D-CE is slippery, a good fix would be fitting O-rings for the groves.