im confused by fenixes model naming scheme can I get a bit of help on the l2t...

EsthetiX

Enlightened
The L2T 2.0's are better/newer than the L2D premiums, right? Why are the L2T's less money from fenix-store?

What is the absolute best performer in the AA range of fenix lights? I want the most powerful one for outdoor.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that the L2D-CE Q5 and L2D-RB100 are both "better" than the L2T 2.0. They have brighter LEDs and offer more modes/functionality.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2T 2.0 doesn't have all the fancy modes, just two toggled with twist head, and switch is like those type on surefire.

Also L2T use a less bright LED.

Last edited:

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Hmm im confused. Pardon my ignorance but on the fenix site it says the l2t is 140 lumens (high) and the l2d premium is only 100 lumens on high.

Thats why I thought the l2t is brighter. Maybe my understanding of lumens is inaccurate?

I do like the idea of less modes though.:twothumbs I just want ON/OFF (high and low). I hate toggling cylcles on my l0d ce. :thumbsdow

SO if I'm going to pay the extra $, it's for light output (not extra modes). Are you guys saying that the L2D is significantly brighter? Or just a bit? or what... Gimmie an idea to help with my decision :D

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2t has only two modes, lo and hi. l2d has a turbo too which is brighter. I take it you don't have any fenix light, so the modes are quite confusing.

Basically, with l2t, when you screw the head tight, it's high (which is equivelent to turbo on l2d), unscrew it half turn it's low. With l2d, when you screw head tight, it's turbo and strobe, and when you unscrew head half a turn, it's low, mid, hi, sos. l2t only have a simple on/off switch, while l2d has the electronics to switch modes.

The screw head tight/loose is a mechanical switch, with head tight it create a new connection. On l2d in addition to this there's a electronic switch that can be used to further switch between more modes, while l2t lacks this. It's kinda hard to explain on paper (and it's late so my brain isn't working), but when you have one in your hand everything becomes clear within a minute.

Last edited:

EsthetiX

Enlightened
L2t has only two modes, lo and hi. l2d has a turbo too which is brighter. I take it you don't have any fenix light, so the modes are quite confusing.

Basically, with l2t, when you screw the head tight, it's high (which is equivelent to turbo on l2d), unscrew it half turn it's low. With l2d, when you screw head tight, it's turbo and strobe, and when you unscrew head half a turn, it's low, mid, hi, sos. l2t only have a simple on/off switch, while l2d has the electronics to switch modes. It's kinda hard to explain on paper, but when you have one in your hand everything becomes clear within a minute.

I'm familiar with the fenixes (have l0d ce) . I'd really like it if you had some answers to my previous post though...

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm im confused. Pardon my ignorance but on the fenix site it says the l2t is 140 lumens (high) and the l2d premium is only 100 lumens on high.
The L2D-CE Q5 is 180 Lumen in Turbo, and the L2D-RB100 is 175 Lumen in Turbo. That's what you're missing.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Your missing one line on the L2D, here are the lumen vs runtime specs:

L2T v2.0 RB80
* The high level: Constant 140 Lumens, 2.4 hours (Ni-HM)
* The low level: Constant 15 Lumens, 32 hours (Ni-HM)

That's two modes total, 140 lumens max

L2D RB100
* General Mode: 11 lumens (55hrs) -> 50 lumens (10.5hrs) -> 100 lumens (4hrs) -> SOS
* Turbo Mode: 175 lumens (2.4hrs) -> Strobe

That's 6 modes total, in two different "sections" I guess you could say, 175 lumens max.

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Your missing one line on the L2D, here are the lumen vs runtime specs:

L2T v2.0 RB80
* The high level: Constant 140 Lumens, 2.4 hours (Ni-HM)
* The low level: Constant 15 Lumens, 32 hours (Ni-HM)

That's two modes total, 140 lumens max

L2D RB100
* General Mode: 11 lumens (55hrs) -> 50 lumens (10.5hrs) -> 100 lumens (4hrs) -> SOS
* Turbo Mode: 175 lumens (2.4hrs) -> Strobe

That's 6 modes total, in two different "sections" I guess you could say, 175 lumens max.

Oh wait.. whats turbo mode? I thought turbo mode was just a dumb strobe thing haha. Turbo mode is just "High 2"? haha This is where I went wrong. Definitely going for the l2d then.

AND l2T does not work well with alkalines (energizer)? You have to use the rechargeables to get the most out of it?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Oh wait.. whats turbo mode? I thought turbo mode was just a dumb strobe thing haha. Turbo mode is just "High 2"? haha This is where I went wrong. Definitely going for the l2d then.

AND l2T does not work well with alkalines (energizer)? You have to use the rechargeables to get the most out of it?

Turbo mode is kinda self explanatory. It's a short-term, ultra high mode. All the AA Fenix's work fine with alkalines, but NiMH perform better under high loads (like turbo), and will not sag in voltage like alkalines will. Seeing as you are on your way to becoming a flashaholic, a collection of rechargable batteries will soon follow your collection of flashlights. Guilt free lumens :twothumbs

Marduke

Flashaholic
The model names *are* very confusing.

At least they don't copy Inova's naming scheme between generations. New generation, same exact name, no packaging differences... :thinking:

The model names for Fenix used to make sense, but with the influx of new technology and LED's, the naming scheme couldn't keep up and now they just serve to differentiate the models now, with little rhyme or reason. Just be glad every different light with a new LED bin has a new name.

EsthetiX

Enlightened
No way! I got my flashaholism in check. I started to lose it last year around this time though. Must be the change in weather or something. Anyway, I've somehow managed to get down to only 1 lod-ce and a dart. I just need something for outside though! EDIT- Aww crap, you got me. Im probably ganna end up getting an L1T 2.0 and L2D RB100

Im about to pull the trigger on the l2d premium right now unless anyone has anything else to say!

I guess the l2d rb100 is really worth it over the lt2 2.0 according to you guys!

I like having less modes but I don't want to cheat myself by getting less brightness.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Personally, I would go with the L2T if you like having less modes. It comes with TWO tailcaps, one twisty/momentary, and one forward clicky. In real life, there are few times where you would notice the difference between 175 and 140 lumens. You have to remember that our eyes don't perceive light intensity in a linear fashion. It's more logarithmic in nature, and it takes a lot more light to see just a modest increase in perceived brightness.

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Personally, I would go with the L2T if you like having less modes. It comes with TWO tailcaps, one twisty/momentary, and one forward clicky. In real life, there are few times where you would notice the difference between 175 and 140 lumens. You have to remember that our eyes don't perceive light intensity in a linear fashion. It's more logarithmic in nature, and it takes a lot more light to see just a modest increase in perceived brightness.

Thats what I was thinking (but for inside situations) for outside I'd think the increase in lumens would be quite perceptible in terms of throw. But this is just my thoughts, I'm no expert like you guys. When you said that up above, does that apply to out door/throw situations as well?

Marduke

Flashaholic
The logarithmic thing always applies, but.....

Throw vs flood mixed in with total lumens is a different beast. You're getting into lux vs total output comparisons. It has a lot to do with the size of the reflector. Both the L2D and L2T have a similar sized reflectors (small), and neither is a real throw monster. However, considering the overall brightness, either will light up your entire back yard. With a larger reflector, even a lowly 2D MagLED with maybe 1/4 the output will out throw either Fenix.

Confused yet? :thinking:

EsthetiX

Enlightened
yah, i know they are not throw monsters... I dont expect to light up a golf course but if it were like an extra 10 feet of illumination then that would be a big deal for my needs.

This particular fenix purchase will be mainly used for running trails at night by the way.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tighten head
L2T called high (140 lumens).
L2D premium called turbo (175 lumens)
Press and release button quickly when L2D is in turbo gives you strobe. Not available on L2T.

Loosen head
L2T called low (15 lumens)
L2D called general mode low (11 lumens)
Press and release button quickly when L2D is in general mode low gives you general medium (50 lumens) Not available on L2T.
Press and release button quickly when L2D is in general mode medium gives you general high (100 lumens) Not available on L2T.
Press and release button quickly when L2D is in general mode high gives you SOS Not available on L2T.

The L2T uses a RB80 LED. 80 lumens at 350mA.
The L2D uses a RB100 LED. 100 lumens at 350mA. 25% brighter & more expensive

I think your confusion is caused by Fenix calling the tighten head position turbo on the L2D and high on the L2T. The high on the L2T is the same as turbo on the L2D NOT the general mode high on the L2P.
Maybe if you called the L2T modes turbo and general the confusion will go away.
L2T high let us call this turbo = L2D turbo (steady>strobe)
L2T low let us call this general = L2D general (low>medium>high>SOS)

The L2T is a much simpler light than the L2D. It is missing the strobe and SOS. It has a single low level compared to 3 seperat general mode light levels in the L2D. It also has a less expensive LED. All this makes the L2T less money.

Last edited: