Do I need to isolate a SCC on the Arc LS2 circuit board?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to upgrade an Arc LS2 and want to know if I need to isolate the SCC's base with some sort of epoxy before sticking it on the circuit board, or if it would be safe just to use a little thermal paste. TIA. :)

If I have to use the epoxy, doesn't that basically fry the LED cause it keeps heat from being drawn away? :thinking:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
doesn't that basically fry the LED cause it keeps heat from being drawn away? :thinking:
Yes it does (imho), but most ppl in here argue that adding a supplemental heat barrier makes no difference, ...

Its on You, I plant my emitters with thermal grease only, no additional layer of epoxy or nail polish, or ...
If they are Seouls (pure emitter) have the heatsink anodized, then its isolated without loosing heat transition.

when using Stars, just thermal grease, they are isolated (as You might already know)

mosport

Enlightened
Definitely isolate the P4 slug before mounting on the LS board, using thermal compound risks grounding the slug against the MCPCB. For this application, thermal adhesive is more suitable since it combines the properties of epoxy and thermal compound into one product.

Apply a thin layer of thermal adhesive and allow it it firm up slightly (3-5min) before positioning the emitter. I use a small clothes line pin and aluminum fixture to provide clamping pressure while curing. Once fully cured you're ready to solder the LED leads to the pads as usual.

Tubes of Arctic Alumina Adhesive and Arctic Silver Adhesive are both available from PhotonFanatic.

HTH.