Popularity of 'old style' A2 Surefire?

goldenlight

Enlightened
I've noticed a number of people looking to buy the 'old style' (4 flat sides) SureFire A2 over the past couple of years.

I'm curious: why is the older shape so seemingly popular? The 'new style' really isn't much different, as near as I can tell from pictures.

I have one of the older style A2 lights, but I have barely used it. It's a nice light, but never really fit a good niche for me. Perhaps because it is a bit too long to easily EDC (?)

Are people looking for them just to collect them, or is there something about the older shape that makes them easier to hold or use?

Just my curiosity getting the better of me, I guess....

Dr.K

Enlightened
Apparantly it all has to do with "style" b/c the function is the same exactly.

It is probably a quicker machining process for the newer ones, so that they can produce them faster, but that is just a guess.

I own both styles, and it seems it would take more machining to remove more metal.

If I'm way off someone please chime in.

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
Like many others here on CPF, I have both old & new body style A2's. In all honesty, I really don't have a preference. Both feel relatively solid, comfortable and secure in my hand. As far as aesthetic appeal goes, side by side, I do gravitate more towards the flat-sided body style.

Best Regards:
Bob

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new style is stronger but many folks prefer the look of the older style.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older bodied lights, especially the black ones, are becoming something of a collector's item. I happen to think they look better, but if round is stronger, round it is!

Size15's

Flashaholic
The curved tri-panel style is more ergonomic to grip in one's hand.
The fact it sets SureFire apart from the crowd as well as being stronger, and affording more real estate for laser etched markings helps as well I guess.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a marked preference for the four sided model. I may be wrong but I think it is also more expensive to make and to machine.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like both the new and old style A2 bodies, and have used both, but I prefer the four-sided old style. I just feels better to me. I like the grip and hand-feel better. Just my preference. But I'd still be happy with a new style, of course. It's just that if I have the choice, I would go with the old style. And many others agree, which is maybe part of the reason why they are fetching a premium now--and also because of A2 collectors, I would guess.